I got a new camera

BJPhotography

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I bought a new camera. Im enrolled in courses. Im hoping to learn some things. In the meantime, Ive been playing with it and Im learning about composition. Although I do like to post process some of my pictures, I have realized that alot of my early problems was my other camera so I was post processing alot to compensate for the camera.

Please give me feedback on these photos. Ive been working harder on composition lately and Im still learning how to use this new camera.
JamesRiver-1.jpg

Is the lighting okay on this one or what can I do differently here? I like the darker look but Im not sure what I can do to improve it.
GuitarLessons.jpg

Yes this one has cross-processed added to it. I thought it worked with it well. Yes? No?
SwimmingBuddies.jpg

NIce photos...
#1 - horizon is right smack in the middle. Try the 1/3 - 2/3 ratio or the rule of thirds
#2 - I like it. Nice perspective
#3 - picture is leaning to the left and you cropped the head on the right and shoulders of both kids.

1. Either crop the top third off to get rid of the sky, or the bottom third to get rid of the sand in the foreground. Stryker's right about trying landscape shots with the horizon on the top or bottom line of the Rule of Thrids.
2. Crop out the drumkit and although you said you liked this one dark, I still think brightning it up a bit (not too much) will give it a bit of a boost.
3. I actually really like this as it is. I don't mind the head and shoulders being slightly cut - it squeezes the kids together in the frame and gives them a real "good friends" feel to the shot. But get rid of the title text!

Thanks for the critiques so far!

For the first one, if I cut off the bottom, wont it lose its perspective thats Im close to shore or maybe that doesnt matter? I thought I needed it but I guess the docks do that anyway. I'll crop it down some and see what happens.
For the second one, Should I lighten the picture overall or just the shadows or what?
For the third one, I do agree that I probably shouldnt have cut off the kids face to the left, but I was going for that close friends feel, which I agree it has. (The lettering was there per the moms request, but there are copies saved without it).

In this case cropping will offset the image even though i say go ahead and do it, but when we mean put the horizon line at 1/3 or 2/3, we mean to do so while your eye is looking through the view finder.

Second one, the subject is too darks and I can't really tell what the subject is. I say this because the person with more presence in the room is the guy on left, but he is facing away which is a no no because if its a person, we usually want to see the eyes unless its an artsy fartsy style shot. The little guy is farther back, dimly lit, and dead center of the picture. I know you probably like all 3 elemnts in the picture (2 boys and the drum set) but its not living up to its potential. Im not saying my way will be better so please take this constructive post... constructively. Brighten up the picture with your subject being the visual element, aka the boy in blue. Crop out the drumset somewhere near the mic stand. maybe get rid of a tiny bit of headroom.

Compare the two and see which ones you as the photographer look better.

It was a sony a100 and I found it to be shaky, even with the anti-shake, and it was just harder to use, I think, then the D7000 I have now. I think as a beginning photographer, the faster processor on this one is easier for me to use. I dont know. I just love the new one and I find it much easier to use.

Last edited:
It was a sony a100 and I found it to be shaky, even with the anti-shake, and it was just harder to use, I think, then the D7000 I have now. I think as a beginning photographer, the faster processor on this one is easier for me to use. I dont know. I just love the new one and I find it much easier to use.

Do you know, I don't think I've known anyone to have a Sony DSLR, ever. Not on any forums and not in real life. I have no idea how they perform.

A camera is only as shaky as you hold it. The rules of photography still apply to it, and if you use a slow shutter speed with the A-100 or the D7000, you'll get camera shake if you don't hold it steady enough.

A camera is only as shaky as you hold it. The rules of photography still apply to it, and if you use a slow shutter speed with the A-100 or the D7000, you'll get camera shake if you don't hold it steady enough.

I beg to differ. I am doing the same kind of thing with this new camera and I do not have the camera shake that I had with my old Sony. I think thats what makes camera's different from each other. You'd think that it would be a setting but I just think that the Sony is a slower processor and doesnt accept the normal shaking that occurs from holding a camera like the Nikon does. I dont know why; its just from my own experience that I can say that. The processor is faster in my new one and I think that has alot to do with it. I could be wrong but until you've used one and seen the drastic difference.....its harder to believe, I guess.

Photos are only taken while the shutter is open, if you're shooting at 50mm for 1/20s you're going to have camera shake (depending on the situation) whether your processor is fast or not. It's just how a camera and exposure works.

Ok. Well I like this camera better and I feel my photos turn out clearer. Whatever the reason! :)

Most reactions

Back