I got angry... nostalgic...came here...

It's a proven fact - no one leaves TPF!

Welcome back :)

I came back to the forum as well, not too long ago. I never seem to be able to stay away from this site permanently even when I try (but still haven't forgotten why I left). Glad to have you here as well.
Why is that?
I came here again because I missed a few people here and missed their opinion on certain subjects and because I'm stuck with my photography...so maybe tpf will help.
I'm also glad you're here, you're a friend :icon_hug:

And screw what anyone else thinks. You're good enough that I think you can make a beautiful photo with practically any camera, so I wouldn't even sweat the BS these other photographers are sending your way.
Oh Dan! Those are really lovely words... I need them... Haven't shot for a while... and there are many unedited pictures just lying around.... I'm kind of lost these days

....It's just they're so pushy with their opinions and telling me "what is the best for me" without letting me explain why I want to use those cheap cameras. I understand quality, cameras, films... but they won't let me speak my mind.
It reminds me of that digital talk "I want as many megapixels as possible"..... I just can't do that.
I'll tell you why I came back, but in private message.

As someone who is bipolar, I can oftentimes overreact in certain situations that hit sensitive nerves and then regret my reactions later, such as leaving a community that I enjoy being a part of. It's a difficult process to work on improving yourself, and I view my overreactions similarly to how I used to respond to negative critique and trolling. It's something I know is detrimental to myself so I work on finding better ways to react, or learning when not to react, as well as learning to identify the difference between someone who legitimately helps you improve from those who enjoy discouraging others. It's taken me almost 7 years to let go of other people's negativity when it comes to my art, for the most part. You don't ever have to explain yourself when someone takes a dig at what you do. When someone legitimately has a suggestion for improvement that you agree with, take it in. When someone is just telling you what to do and making you feel awful, don't let it in. If you let it in, you won't feel good about your art and you'll lose your motivation and love for it. Just know that there are many people who adore you as a person and love what you do, including myself, and those are the people you should be listening to most because they actually want to see you make amazing photos rather than cut you down and discourage you. Those are the people who are going to give you the best critique because they legitimately care about how it affects you and your art. No one is perfect though. I too let the negativity in at times and get very discouraged, causing me to go months without picking my camera up and to avoid editing photos for very long periods at a time. Just know that you aren't alone, what you're feeling is a natural process of being a creator, and the motivation will come back. I hope it's coming back now that you're posting here again.

Long story short, I'm glad we're both back here and I really can't wait to see more of your beautiful work!

The first rule of TPF, is not talking about how much we bribed you to come back!

Ok its not the first rule, its the 3rd; but I wanted to make a Fight Club reference, but I'm too tired to do it justice.

If the gear you're using gets you the images you want, who cares what someone else says about it?
I agree... the thing is in their attitude but I guess I just need to put up with it...

The first rule of TPF, is not talking about how much we bribed you to come back!
Ok its not the first rule, its the 3rd; but I wanted to make a Fight Club reference, but I'm too tired to do it justice.
tell us more about the rules!!!

As someone who is bipolar, I can oftentimes overreact in certain situations that hit sensitive nerves and then regret my reactions later, such as leaving a community that I enjoy being a part of. It's a difficult process to work on improving yourself, and I view my overreactions similarly to how I used to respond to negative critique and trolling. It's something I know is detrimental to myself so I work on finding better ways to react, or learning when not to react, as well as learning to identify the difference between someone who legitimately helps you improve from those who enjoy discouraging others. It's taken me almost 7 years to let go of other people's negativity when it comes to my art, for the most part. You don't ever have to explain yourself when someone takes a dig at what you do. When someone legitimately has a suggestion for improvement that you agree with, take it in. When someone is just telling you what to do and making you feel awful, don't let it in. If you let it in, you won't feel good about your art and you'll lose your motivation and love for it. Just know that there are many people who adore you as a person and love what you do, including myself, and those are the people you should be listening to most because they actually want to see you make amazing photos rather than cut you down and discourage you. Those are the people who are going to give you the best critique because they legitimately care about how it affects you and your art. No one is perfect though. I too let the negativity in at times and get very discouraged, causing me to go months without picking my camera up and to avoid editing photos for very long periods at a time. Just know that you aren't alone, what you're feeling is a natural process of being a creator, and the motivation will come back. I hope it's coming back now that you're posting here again.

Long story short, I'm glad we're both back here and I really can't wait to see more of your beautiful work!
Dan... this is really really nicely written. I'm reading it over and over again. And again I'm really grateful for the nice words :icon_hug:

I understand what you're going trough and I'm glad to see your constant improvement.

A few moths ago I bought a manual lens and adapter (Carl Zeiss Jena Flektogon 35mm f2.8 Zebra, beautiful lens) I was so excited to buy that lens for days...but when I got it I didn't feel a thing. I put it on the camera and pressed the shutter for a few times, in a room, and that's it. I haven't shot anything with it. I just left the camera and haven't use it since then.
I was trying to understand why. Why I suddenly stopped? I came to the conclusion that my main problem and the cause of this pause is that I started to do things without my heart in it. I started to do things just for the sake of learning them, because I want to learn as much as possible... but I completely lost myself in the process. Who I really am? What I really want to say/do with my photographs? Do people experience anything while looking at my work? Similar happened with my writing. I can't write a thing.
I tried to make "happy happy joy joy" photographs because everyone around me wanted me to do "nice and happy"... I stopped giving c&c because I couldn't be that nice anymore.... Met lots of new people but not so good photographers.... and else.

But on the other hand I found another hobby and I started to read books again. My eyes are well and I can read again. Both of those make me really happy...

I bought a film camera on Tuesday. Minolta something. Don't really know if it's a functional camera, I'll find out on Tuesday. Tomorrow I'm going to a mountain/skiing and I'll bring 6d with me. I hope I'll use it. Doesn't really care for the subject right now, all I care for is that moment "picking up the camera and pressing the shutter". I need to do that... to stop the car, go out and press the shutter (oh it's freezing here!)

MARRRRRIIIIIIIIIIIJA!!!!!!!

:boogie::boogie::boogie::boogie::boogie::boogie::boogie::boogie:
love that RRRRRRRRRR sound :586::586::586:

Now when you're a mod... can we still be friends? :D

Always, my dear!! :)

As for those jerks who won't leave you alone - just tell them that film cameras are more effective as weapons, as they are heavier and can do much more damage to a skull if swung at someone's head, and would they like a demonstration? :D

Dan... this is really really nicely written. I'm reading it over and over again. And again I'm really grateful for the nice words :icon_hug:

I understand what you're going trough and I'm glad to see your constant improvement.

A few moths ago I bought a manual lens and adapter (Carl Zeiss Jena Flektogon 35mm f2.8 Zebra, beautiful lens) I was so excited to buy that lens for days...but when I got it I didn't feel a thing. I put it on the camera and pressed the shutter for a few times, in a room, and that's it. I haven't shot anything with it. I just left the camera and haven't use it since then.
I was trying to understand why. Why I suddenly stopped? I came to the conclusion that my main problem and the cause of this pause is that I started to do things without my heart in it. I started to do things just for the sake of learning them, because I want to learn as much as possible... but I completely lost myself in the process. Who I really am? What I really want to say/do with my photographs? Do people experience anything while looking at my work? Similar happened with my writing. I can't write a thing.
I tried to make "happy happy joy joy" photographs because everyone around me wanted me to do "nice and happy"... I stopped giving c&c because I couldn't be that nice anymore.... Met lots of new people but not so good photographers.... and else.

But on the other hand I found another hobby and I started to read books again. My eyes are well and I can read again. Both of those make me really happy...

I bought a film camera on Tuesday. Minolta something. Don't really know if it's a functional camera, I'll find out on Tuesday. Tomorrow I'm going to a mountain/skiing and I'll bring 6d with me. I hope I'll use it. Doesn't really care for the subject right now, all I care for is that moment "picking up the camera and pressing the shutter". I need to do that... to stop the car, go out and press the shutter (oh it's freezing here!)
When you're in a runt and have taken considerable time off from photography ... when you think you're ready to jump back in, before you jump, read the camera manual. It will get you thinking about the camera, which gets you thinking about images and all the stuff you can shoot.

When I was a pro, I didn't have the luxury of taking time off. I had to shoot through my runts ... I had to shoot through everything and still consistency deliver photos that met the expectations of those who paid me. As a hobbyist, being able to not pick up a camera any time I want, are often as enjoyable as picking up a camera.

Oh, yeah. Tell the haters to "bugger off."

Most reactions

Back