i hate Henry's

I have had good service and poor service in the same store on different occasions. I guess it depends on who is on and how fast they are turning staff over. Sadly there are not that many brick stores to choose from these days. I purchased as sigma lens and a number of bodies from them over the years as well as a refurb from their on line store and all went well, "But" I did usually know what I want before I go in as a rule. I was impressed with one thing though. Back in the day I purchased a Minolta A1 which was pretty pricey for me at the time and I took out the stores extended warranty, something I rarely do and have never done since. A few months after the manufacturers warranty expired the sensor died. I took it into Henrys expecting a fight over the store extended warranty but no, they fixed it no questions asked. That was refreshing. My last purchase from them last summer was a tripod and sad too say the store had very limited stock and the sales person did not have much to offer, it was very much heres what we have choose one !!!!. I came out thinking the trip into the city to get a tripod was a waste of time, I could have done it easier online.

It would appear Henry's is on a roll! Recently I had a bad experience when I took my 60d in under their extended warranty.
I ended up sending a nastygram to the manager and he apologized and said my next visit will be more than memorable, like the last visit wasn't lol

Well, I went down to Henry's....

To start before I went I did some research on what they had in stock for used cameras and saw there was a 20D and a few Rebels etc... for under $200 so I was open to considering them.

So we get to Henry's and this is how it went down.

Him: Hi Mam, how are you today?
Me: I'm sad, my camera needs service.

We go through what happened, shooting, icky sound, shut down won't start blah blah blah... he looks up my account and mentions the 100-400, nice lens blah blah blah...
He goes to find a battery to test the camera, can't find one that is charged, has to charge one so we wait and "browse".
He confirms that it is "dead as a doornail" and has to go in for service, the young lady at the till will finish up. He walks us over and I ask him...

Me: So do you have any loaner program or anything?
Him: No unfortunately we don't, but really if you think you are a professional you should already have a second body.
Me: Mmm Hmm in a perfect world I would already have one, yes.
Him: I'm a professional when I'm not working here and I have 3 bodies....
**walks away**
Me: stunned
That was literally the whole conversation.... really?

Unfortunately that is the kind of customer "service" that we can expect from a commission-based sales staff.

Don't look for them to change their business model anytime soon. They will simply go out of business before that happens.

I think many part-time Professional photographers end up working at Camera Stores like Henry's.
They don't have another employable skill so they end up in retail, they want to work there for the discounts/perks, and they don't care much for customer service ... as their real job is being a Pro.

Maybe for used stuff you should go to their Outlet store instead.

Greg Gutfeld

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't understand. If someone is on commission then I think they would want to sell you something, not just walk away.
And if they aren't selling then the owners should get rid of them, they have to pay for business operations!

Sounds like they are running out of inventory, ie .. going out of business soon.

Unfortunately that is the kind of customer "service" that we can expect from a commission-based sales staff.

circuit city didn't go out of business until they got rid of the commission-based sales model.

related: the servers at restaurants that dont serve me well, don't get as much as a tip. Almost like there's an incentive to please the Brain.

Circuit City also had mgt boneheads. they were cheap .. getting land for stores away from main throughfares/traffic. It kept overhead lower than competitors, but foot traffic was harder to get. In the end they started switching their business model, all over the place, but they still had bonehead legacy decisions that cost them in the end. There's alot more to it ... but that was a biggie.

If you watch carefully, you can find the carcasses of the former Circuit Cities all over the country. There's one here that is now a Sears Outlet Center-I wasn't aware Sears could afford to expand...

That sucks that Henry's went down the crapper like that. The same thing killed a major appliance store that I think was native to Wisconsin too (American TV). Commission sales people were just plain hard to deal with.

You're out the wrong way, I know, but another vote here for Belle Arte Camera in Hamilton! They're one store, and competing well against Henry's. They have a big consignment section, and are very very helpful. I went into Henry's in Ancaster one time and was treated like a total noob because all I have is a T3.

I have had good service and poor service in the same store on different occasions. I guess it depends on who is on and how fast they are turning staff over. Sadly there are not that many brick stores to choose from these days. I purchased as sigma lens and a number of bodies from them over the years as well as a refurb from their on line store and all went well, "But" I did usually know what I want before I go in as a rule. I was impressed with one thing though. Back in the day I purchased a Minolta A1 which was pretty pricey for me at the time and I took out the stores extended warranty, something I rarely do and have never done since. A few months after the manufacturers warranty expired the sensor died. I took it into Henrys expecting a fight over the store extended warranty but no, they fixed it no questions asked. That was refreshing. My last purchase from them last summer was a tripod and sad too say the store had very limited stock and the sales person did not have much to offer, it was very much heres what we have choose one !!!!. I came out thinking the trip into the city to get a tripod was a waste of time, I could have done it easier online.

I usually know what I'm looking for when I go in, and I do my research before. Scott went in specifically for this lens. Now I may not get it :(

It would appear Henry's is on a roll! Recently I had a bad experience when I took my 60d in under their extended warranty.
I ended up sending a nastygram to the manager and he apologized and said my next visit will be more than memorable, like the last visit wasn't lol

Well, I went down to Henry's....

To start before I went I did some research on what they had in stock for used cameras and saw there was a 20D and a few Rebels etc... for under $200 so I was open to considering them.

So we get to Henry's and this is how it went down.

Him: Hi Mam, how are you today?
Me: I'm sad, my camera needs service.

We go through what happened, shooting, icky sound, shut down won't start blah blah blah... he looks up my account and mentions the 100-400, nice lens blah blah blah...
He goes to find a battery to test the camera, can't find one that is charged, has to charge one so we wait and "browse".
He confirms that it is "dead as a doornail" and has to go in for service, the young lady at the till will finish up. He walks us over and I ask him...

Me: So do you have any loaner program or anything?
Him: No unfortunately we don't, but really if you think you are a professional you should already have a second body.
Me: Mmm Hmm in a perfect world I would already have one, yes.
Him: I'm a professional when I'm not working here and I have 3 bodies....
**walks away**
Me: stunned
That was literally the whole conversation.... really?

Unfreaking believable. That was like when my sensor went and he said it was my camera settings. I asked him to please tell me what camera settings would produce that.

I think many part-time Professional photographers end up working at Camera Stores like Henry's.
They don't have another employable skill so they end up in retail, they want to work there for the discounts/perks, and they don't care much for customer service ... as their real job is being a Pro.

Maybe for used stuff you should go to their Outlet store instead.

The outlet store was where the guy tried to sell me the broken Sigma and said they didn't have any other lenses. Fortunately, one of the staff named Brian came over to help me and was awesome. He was the one we bought the D50 and the tamron lens from. we also went back the next day to buy a second D50 because of his awesome service. He wasn't there that day and we got another idiot.

When Scott bought himself the 500 sigma, Brian was working again and was awesome. Again. Someone else tried to help us by selling me a flash for a FILM camera. We will only go back there if Brian is working.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back