I HATE swapping lenses

There is a difference between a bridge and a P&S. The G10 is definitely a P&S.... albeit a damn nice one. It is larger than most, but it will slide into your front trousers pocket (hello boys!). It still suffers from shutter lag, but I test drove one and it is on my wish list for the future. I have to go on site visits for my job and this is the reason for thinking a G10. Lugging the Nikons around is a PITA. It does shoot RAW and is rated one of the best........ even though I shoot Nikon. It's the old adage, get the tool for the job. Nikon's equivalent is not up to par yet IMO.

The Canon G series cameras were their bridge models of which only the G10 survives. The only thing it lacks over the more traditional looking bridge cameras is the body shape of a mini DSLR. It retains all of the features of any other bridge camera. Here is a comparison of it and the SX1 IS that also gets included in that Bridge range.

Digital Cameras - High-End, Advanced Digital Cameras - D-Series Digital Cameras - Performance and Style, Digital ELPH Cameras - Easy and Fun! A-Series Digital Cameras - E-Series Digital Cameras - Product Comparison - Canon USA Consumer Products

wasnt really thinking of buying a whole other camera. those are essentially a P&S even though they have the manual override option, no?

not sure what to do.

benhasa - what part of the Tamron lens name designates that it has the built in motor when i search for it? I know Sigma is HSM, Nikon is AF-s, but Tamron?

Tamron uses BIM (Built in motor) for Nikon. But you have to look beyond the initial page to find some of them. Like the 18-270 for example. BIM is not listed by the other acronyms. But if you look under specifications, they then list BIM and says built in motor in its mounting descriptions.

As for the Nikon P90 I only mentioned it as a less expensive alternative. It has its short commings like any other bridge camera. It does have full manual controls like shutter and aperature control plus full manual. But like others its menu intensive for alot of functions. I think its a step up from previous tries as it has a larger sensor, better ISO range, and of course the huge lens range (of course being such a large range will have some issues).

Nikon P90 is about $375, Tamron 18-270 is about $600. Tamron 18-200 is about $260 (built in motor too)

Most reactions

Back