I have a crap camera, so where do I start?

DuneRose

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I got the Canon 1100D as a gift. I tried looking at sample pictures other people took with it, and it seems like a really rubbish camera. So, how do I start to make good use of it?

1. Realize that, within reason, there is no such thing as a "Bad Camera". Cameras are only tools.
2. Realize that 50% of a photograph is the camera and 50% the person behind it. Others may have different opinions of the percentages and they could be right.
3. Learn the limits of the camera that you have. Figure out what it can do and what it cannot do.
4. Learn to use it properly within those limitations.

You start in the exact same place as you would with a "really great" camera. You don't specify, but I take it you're a complete beginner. So, whether you are starting with a Canon 1100D, a 5D MkIII, a Nikon 3100 or a Nikon D800 doesn't matter. Start in the same place:

1. Read the manual.
2. Learn about composition and start learning to "see" a scene as a photograph--what's the subject? Where in the photo should it go? What's in the background that might be distracting and how can you work around that? Learn about the rule of thirds and practice it in your photos.
3. Read the manual again.
4. Work on understanding the exposure triangle.
5. Practice, practice, practice.
6. Post a few (not dozens at once!) results here so those with tons more experience and skill can rip you apart... :lol:... because in the process they will help you improve much more quickly than you would on your own.
7. Read the manual.
8. Practice some more.

There's plenty more, but if my son was just starting into photography, that's the advice I'd give him.

Everything SCraig said is on target--don't worry about whether the CAMERA is decent. Work on creating a quality photographer.

Absolutely agree with the other guys. Cameras are the tool you are the creator. Once you take plenty of photos you will soon realise it's mostly down to the user. Of course the camera can come into play on how a picture will look.

I would use it for now, and take plenty of pictures with it. Once you do that you will start to develop your own style, by then you will know what camera you want next.

If you're not already familiar with them, do a Google image search of "Ansel Adams Half Dome" and "Yusef Karsh Winston Churchill". Next, do a search on the equipment they used; think of the capabilities and technology that you have compared to what they had.

Now, quit whining about your gear and follow the advice posted by SCraig and sm4him!

Last edited:
T3 is a great camera. It has a decent sensor and not bad features. It's entry level but is capable of good things.

Ok so I just upgraded my T3 last month and I already miss it! It is a GREAT little camera. Pick up a nifty fifty and just rock the hell out of it.

You're going to find a lot of crap pictures with that camera as That's absolute entry level. Therefore the people taking pictures are quite often not ready for a dslr and are using green box and the same techniques from their point and shoot and wondering why they aren't getting good results. To get good results with that camera you're going to have to learn a little bit about photography. The book understanding exposure by Brian Peterson is a decent place to start.

I got the Canon 1100D as a gift. I tried looking at sample pictures other people took with it, and it seems like a really rubbish camera. So, how do I start to make good use of it?
As others have already said, don't blame the tool, learn how to shoot. Many photographers have made great photos with gear that had much less capability.

Check out the photos from these 1100D shooters. Some are great, and that means that "great" is certainly possible with this camera. It's all about the ability of the monkey at the controls:

Flickr: Canon EOS Rebel T3 / 1100D

I do have a super important question though. Do you have the red or black 1100d? If you have the black one I'm sorry it's crap because red is more purrdy

T3 is a great camera. It has a decent sensor and not bad features. It's entry level but is capable of good things.

You're going to find a lot of crap pictures with that camera as That's absolute entry level.

:(
On the second quote, you forgot to include the rest of the paragraph, which explains WHY you'll find a lot of crap pictures taken with that camera; In a nutshell, because it's too often in the hands of noob shooters who don't know much beyond "point and shoot".

Buckster said:
On the second quote, you forgot to include the rest of the paragraph, which explains WHY you'll find a lot of crap pictures taken with that camera; In a nutshell, because it's too often in the hands of noob shooters who don't know much beyond "point and shoot".

Yeah I didn't appreciate being taken out of context like that. The t3 is a good camera (all modern dslr are) but because it's price point and feature set it often attracts people who aren't interested in photography or bettering their skills they just think that a dlsr will make them a better photographer

Most reactions

Back