I have a problem..please help me!

The beginning of my workflow is: I see a photo in ACR that I like> I open it> If it is OOF I close it and move to the next one I like.

I weed out the ones I think suck at the very beginning.

Sounds like a process I need to get used to.

Thanks folks for all the help :)

Hopefully I'll have more to post soon.

Gaerek that is a great tip. I actually thought about that today..but it was too late. We all learn from mistakes!

I really need to be harsh when picking through pictures to be sure I only show one's that are the best.

Dude, one of the hardest things for me when I was learning was to learn to be critical of my own work. When I first started, I thought just about everything I shot, except for photos with obvious flaws were great. I look back and all I see is the crap I used to produce, lol. Now, I am my worse (or best, depending on how you look at it) critic. Just learn to be harsh with your own work and you'll do great.

Lol thats one thing I'll say..I'm super harsh on my work..but I only want to get to be more and more harsh.

If I ever start to get cocky I come here for a reality check and get backed up to reality real quick.

I'll tell ya this site is real! That's what I like about it.

What about this one? Any better? I feel like the background is a bit busy and not as flattering as the golf course but I certainly think its more in focus.

This is the original:
Richie201.jpg

I'm not real sure why I was having a problem with focusing. As many problems as I usually have..focusing is not always one of them.
Had you taken 1 giant step to the right, the background would have been better.

But, I'm almost willing to bet you didn't even consider the background before you released the shutter.

If your photos don't seem to be coming out good enough....get closer and look at the background in the viewfinder before you release the shutter, not later on the computer. :thumbup:

People look best if they are standing, not leaning against something.

People look better in photos if their shoulders are at a angle to the image sensor plane, about 35° - 40°. I have everyone point the foot closet to the camera, at the camera, the rear foot 90° to the camera. I tell them to put most of their weight on the back foot, lean forward slightly from the waist (just over their belt buckle), and to stand tall.

Last edited:
Okay great advice KmH.

I did look at the background and I new it wasn't the greatest as it seemed busy with the chair, white wall, and windows, but these were my first couple of shots. I was kind of just trying to get warmed up. These were my first portait shots ever so it was a bit akward getting started.

For the posing your saying don't take pictures directly perpendicular to the person? I guess that gives them a chance to turn their head and kind of pose a little easier.

How could I have gotten him to stand in this scene instead of lean? Just randomly stand anywhere or next to the post and just don't lean on it?

Thanks

Most reactions

Back