What's new

I have achieved SD Nirvana.

Fair enough, but question #2: why are you shooting for an entire month without access to a computer?

Where did I say that?
* You said 1 day = 1 card
* As soon as you have access to a computer for awhile / off time, you can download the card, backup and empty it again.
* Thus 28 cards corresponds to ~ 1 month without long enough access to a computer to download and backup. If you interfaced with the computer once a week instead, for example, then you would only need 7 cards at most (+ a few backups, but not 21 backups). And if you interfaced with the computer once a day, you'd only need the 1 + at most a few backups.

(This is assuming you're not using SD cards to permanently store these photos, which you shouldn't be, since they are about 10x more expensive than HDs or DVDs per gigabyte, don't save any space in those containers by comparison, and have no reason to last any longer)
 
That's a nice collection of toy cards, but when are you going to man up to a real camera? You know, one that takes CF cards? :greenpbl::mrgreen:
 
Fair enough, but question #2: why are you shooting for an entire month without access to a computer?

Where did I say that?
* You said 1 day = 1 card
* As soon as you have access to a computer for awhile / off time, you can download the card, backup and empty it again.
* Thus 28 cards corresponds to ~ 1 month without long enough access to a computer to download and backup. If you interfaced with the computer once a week instead, for example, then you would only need 7 cards at most (+ a few backups, but not 21 backups). And if you interfaced with the computer once a day, you'd only need the 1 + at most a few backups.

(This is assuming you're not using SD cards to permanently store these photos, which you shouldn't be, since they are about 10x more expensive than HDs or DVDs per gigabyte, don't save any space in those containers by comparison, and have no reason to last any longer)


I merely said I have 28 cards, enough for my shooting about 28 days.
You are assuming the rest. And you know what they say about the word assume.
groucho.gif
 
Yes, that's why I said "This is assuming" in my post...
And that's why I started out by asking you why you needed so many, so I wouldn't have to assume any more...
 
Yes, that's why I said "This is assuming" in my post...
And that's why I started out by asking you why you needed so many, so I wouldn't have to assume any more...


OK, here's my method: When shooting around town, nearby, close to home, taking day trips hither and yon:

Shoot cards 1 & 2 in slots 1 & 2, with slot 2 as back-up. When they get full, set them aside and replace with cards 3 & 4. When then get full, set them aside and replace with cards 5 & 6. It would be months before I need to return to cards 1 & 2. This gives me several months of temporary back-up, even though I have a rigorous ingestion and back-up routine in-place and have never needed to resort to going back through cards to recover an image.


However, this method could fail when I take an extended trip away from home. So, my method on the road would be:

Put cards 1 & 2 into slots 1 & 2, and shoot slot 2 as back-up. At the end of the day, copy card 2 to an external hard drive. Put card 1 aside.

Reformat card 2 and put into slot 1. Insert card 3 into slot 2. At the end of the second day, copy card 3 to the external HD. Put card 2 aside.

Reformat card 3 and put into slot 1. Insert card 4 into slot 2. At the end of the second day, copy card 4 to the external HD. Put card 3 aside.

Reformat card 4 and put into slot 1. Insert card 5 into slot 2. At the end of the second day, copy card 5 to the external HD. Put card 4 aside.

Continue this routine until end of trip and I can copy all the images into my normal ingestion and back-up routine at home. This gives me all my images, in order by card number, from fresh, reformatted/unread cards, as well as an external drive with copies of everything. So I arrive home with at least two copies of everything, on two separate/independent media.

Then I would return to my 'normal' routine of card swapping.
 
Sparky don't back up on no hard drives...Sparky just keeps the shots archived on memory cards! lol.

Dude...you got it licked!!!
 
Sparky don't back up on no hard drives...Sparky just keeps the shots archived on memory cards! lol.

Dude...you got it licked!!!

Actually, I have no less than 7 drives in my back-up routine.
fiufiu.gif
 
i thought i was styling with 4 cards. :hail:
 
Okay but here's what I mean regarding HDs being much cheaper per gigabyte. You could, on the road:

1) Shoot cards 1 and 2 (32 or 64GB ones) in slots 1 and 2
2) At the end of the day, load the day's images into three identical copy different external HDs
3) Reformat both cards and put them back.
(And have a couple extra cards on hand so you can replace a card if it blows up)

For a 2 week trip, at 16Gb a day, you'd only need 250GB HDs which cost like $50
3x $50 = $150
+4x $20 cards = $230
End result: Every photo is triplicate stored

Vs. craploads of cards
17 cards (2 weeks of 1 each long term plus the same 2 replacements + the 1 floater) * $20 = $340
End result: Every photo is duplicate stored

HDs seem like they would cost less even while giving more backup, yes? Granted it could weigh more.
 
.........2) At the end of the day, load the day's images into three identical copy different external HDs
...........

So.... spend hours downloading images 3 times ever night while on vacation?

No thanks.... I'll stick with my method.
 
Your method already involves downloading to external HD every night, and the limiting factor is the USB bandwidth, not the computer processor, so three would transfer in the same time.

Anyway, I'm not seriously suggesting that, you've obviously already invested and it's not a huge price difference or whatever. Just explaining why it seemed odd.

Incidentally, if you have 28 cards, why not simply for a 2 week vacation:
1) Shoot cards 1 and 2, set both aside
2) Shoot cards 3 and 4, set both aside
etc?

If one breaks or something, only then take the time to download to maintain dual backup and reclaim a spare card from one of the finished ones as replacement. Most likely requires no computer work at all the whole vacation. Go all in or not at all, I say. Or is that exactly the plane with the new hoarde?
 
I guess I'll just toss out some old clichěs instead of trying to use logic.

To each their own.

Whatever floats your boat.

There's more than one way to skin a cat.

Different strokes for different folks.

Whatever trips your trigger.

If it feels good, do it.

If you're happy and you know it, clap your hands.


And my personal favorite:

Because I can.
 
Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom