I have been asked to take pics at a Bellydancer conference.. help?

KatydidPhoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I thought that title might get noticed..haha but yes that is exactly what this post is about.
Keep in mind I just do photography for fun and the only other photos I have been asked to take is some seniors this year and backed up a wedding with personal shots for the bride.
My camera isn't even close to what most of you have but the ladies who are running this small conference have liked what they saw of mine and heard through word of mouth.
Basically they want me to set up a small area in one of the rooms where these ladies can get shots of themselves (keep in mind that most of these ladies are between the ages of 35 and 50). This event is in a very small town and other surrounding small towns that have these belly dancing groups are coming as well. I want to do this real inexpensively for them and offer maybe a 4x6 or 5x7 and a sheet of 4 wallets.
Most of these ladies have no pictures of themselves in their costumes and they really do it up big for this I guess.
Am I in over my head on this?
They already have a backdrop area they want used as their background and it will be draped in various adorned veils to frame the top of the picture. I have some umbrella lighting with 5500k 45w bulbs in my possession. I have a few weeks before this takes place in case I need to pick up some things.

Do I run hard and fast from this? or give it a shot. I'll quickly put on my armor and wait for the responses
emotion-10.gif

I have read alot of posts in this forum for a while now and am very impressed with so many of you I consider it a blessing to even have the chance to ask your opinions.
Thank you!

I thought that title might get noticed..haha but yes that is exactly what this post is about.
Keep in mind I just do photography for fun and the only other photos I have been asked to take is some seniors this year and backed up a wedding with personal shots for the bride.
My camera isn't even close to what most of you have but the ladies who are running this small conference have liked what they saw of mine and heard through word of mouth.
Basically they want me to set up a small area in one of the rooms where these ladies can get shots of themselves (keep in mind that most of these ladies are between the ages of 35 and 50). This event is in a very small town and other surrounding small towns that have these belly dancing groups are coming as well. I want to do this real inexpensively for them and offer maybe a 4x6 or 5x7 and a sheet of 4 wallets.
Most of these ladies have no pictures of themselves in their costumes and they really do it up big for this I guess.
Am I in over my head on this?
They already have a backdrop area they want used as their background and it will be draped in various adorned veils to frame the top of the picture. I have some umbrella lighting with 5500k 45w bulbs in my possession. I have a few weeks before this takes place in case I need to pick up some things.

Do I run hard and fast from this? or give it a shot. I'll quickly put on my armor and wait for the responses
emotion-10.gif

I have read alot of posts in this forum for a while now and am very impressed with so many of you I consider it a blessing to even have the chance to ask your opinions.
Thank you!

What camera and lenses have you got because 45w is not very bright

This is an area in which [oddly enough] I have a lot of experience. One of the things that I would suggest reading up on is how various poses can be more or less flattering to a person's appearance. As well, to get the most out of dancers and their costumes (and trust me, many of them are VERY proud of their costumes) they need to move around. If you can set yourself up so that they can do a 40 - 60 second routine where you shoot 15-20 shots. Review them carefully as some of the dancers may not be too comfortable in front of the camera (check for closed eyes, looking down, etc). If they dance with props (canes, swords, shamadans) make sure you have them perform with them.

Ok this is where the embarrassment starts but I am only shooting with Fuji s8100 (probably the "F" word of the camera industry in some peoples eyes). I have been saving for a new camera for a while but I'm not there yet, so yes I am using a 2 year old camera.

Maybe getting a Rebel next but if I want to save for the Canon I dream of having it will take me years.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I love shooting in low light but i wouldn't want to be in your shoes, i have an Fuji S7000 but only use it when i go away on my motorbike and it is awful in low light, shutter lag is bad but for landscapes its good

From what I have been told they basically want single subject posed shots so I won't need to worry about freezing action which would be ok by me.

From what I have been told they basically want single subject posed shots so I won't need to worry about freezing action which would be ok by me.

Don't zoom to keep it at a wide aperture because you will need as much light as posible, use a tripod and tell them to keep as still as possible

Thank you Gary, I am going to adhere to your advice on that one.

Would it be possible to get one to hold up a reflector whilst you're there? A white circular reflector wouldn't be too expensive off ebay and yet would at least let you shine a little more light onto the subject.

Would it be possible to get one to hold up a reflector whilst you're there? A white circular reflector wouldn't be too expensive off ebay and yet would at least let you shine a little more light onto the subject.

YES I am taking a support person with me so I can definitely do that.

Thank You for that advice! :D

Looks like i'm in trouble if it does not work :(
NO NO not at all. I'll check the shots as I do them and adjust. I'm just saying I will test your advice first on a couple preliminary ones I'm going to do at the location before the conference. I'm very appreciative of your input!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back