I have heard of "Christmas in July" or something, but

PatrickHMS

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.hmscoatings.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
This turned out to be Christmas in December...

Was going through some old family stuff, deciding what to keep and what to throw away,

And I found a camera box, when I picked it up, realized that there was something in it...

When I opened it up, there it was, in original packaging, pristine condition.

An almost new looking, all black bodied SLR film camera...

A Nikon F4...

This one is MINE !!!!!!!!!!

Was this from a not so close family member? As I would surely know who )in my family had an F4 (besides myself of course [when I had one]).

That is definately a good score. I don't know how many shots I took but never had a single problem with my F4s. I put years of pretty steady use on it.

Was this from a not so close family member? As I would surely know who )in my family had an F4 (besides myself of course [when I had one]).

That is definately a good score. I don't know how many shots I took but never had a single problem with my F4s. I put years of pretty steady use on it.

Sure wasn't mine (but now IS...lol). This stuff was consolidated into one basement when both elderly parents downsized. Both fathers are passed, neither mother has a clue. Her dad didn't take many 35mm, preferred to use an old Kodak 8mm movie camera, and associated stuff, and we have those.

My dad took pics, like to take slides, has thousands of them from the 1940's on. He had an old vintage Kodak bellows-type 35mm, that I still have, it still works fine.

I used to use Nikkormat FTN stuff, but traded it all (even had an old Nikkor 50mm 1.2..lol) for Olympus OM1 gear in mid-1980's. I really liked the OM1, with the bright / interchangeable screen, Winder1, and all the neat lenses.

This F4 seemed to come from nowhere, guess is that it was my dads, but who knows? It is a body only, but I have a 50mm 1.8 to use on it for now.

Now that I am used to multiplying the focal length by 1.5 to account for digital, will have to fergit that for this one.

Need to get a little more versatile lens than the 50mm, might try a 35-70mm, 28-80mm, or 18-70mm, something like that.

I think the F4 was a pretty cool film camera in its' time, my other lenses might work, don't know about the DX lenses, but believe they should be fine, except the VR probably won't work, not sure about the metering.

Still wonder where this F4 sucker came from though, looks pretty much like brand new!

Either way, I really like my new (to me) camera !!!

Wait!! I visited Atlanta a few good years back and used to have an F4. I think that's mine, I simply forgot it there!...:lol: Can you ship it to me, I'll even pay the postage!:lmao:

Nice find! Put it to some steady work now. ;)

Most excellent find!! I wish someone else in my family was interested in photography and kept stuff like that around, but alas.

BTW, the DX lenses will give you some pretty heavy vignetting. So this gives you the perfect oppurtunity to invest in some pro glass, lol.

Sure wasn't mine (but now IS...lol). This stuff was consolidated into one basement when both elderly parents downsized. Both fathers are passed, neither mother has a clue. Her dad didn't take many 35mm, preferred to use an old Kodak 8mm movie camera, and associated stuff, and we have those.

My dad took pics, like to take slides, has thousands of them from the 1940's on. He had an old vintage Kodak bellows-type 35mm, that I still have, it still works fine.

I used to use Nikkormat FTN stuff, but traded it all (even had an old Nikkor 50mm 1.2..lol) for Olympus OM1 gear in mid-1980's. I really liked the OM1, with the bright / interchangeable screen, Winder1, and all the neat lenses.

This F4 seemed to come from nowhere, guess is that it was my dads, but who knows? It is a body only, but I have a 50mm 1.8 to use on it for now.

Now that I am used to multiplying the focal length by 1.5 to account for digital, will have to fergit that for this one.

Need to get a little more versatile lens than the 50mm, might try a 35-70mm, 28-80mm, or 18-70mm, something like that.

I think the F4 was a pretty cool film camera in its' time, my other lenses might work, don't know about the DX lenses, but believe they should be fine, except the VR probably won't work, not sure about the metering.

Still wonder where this F4 sucker came from though, looks pretty much like brand new!

Either way, I really like my new (to me) camera !!!

I would think the DX lenses will at least work in manual, but they do have an image circle too small for full frame. May be useable though. The f4's are tanks though. Be careful when you go to grab a new digital and may throw your arm out of joint or fling the camera somewhere, expecting it to be heavier. :mrgreen:

Most reactions

Back