cgipson1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
m4.jpg

m5.jpg

m2.jpg

Wow-what an incredible, luscious, richly-colored subject these are!!! Shot #2 has a lot of what looks like NR, but still, I am diggin' the look of the subject matter and the colors. Shot #1 seems a bit under-exposed. I simply LOVE the colors in these, and think these have huge potential.

Wow-what an incredible, luscious, richly-colored subject these are!!! Shot #2 has a lot of what looks like NR, but still, I am diggin' the look of the subject matter and the colors. Shot #1 seems a bit under-exposed. I simply LOVE the colors in these, and think these have huge potential.

You know, Derrel... sometimes I can't tell when you are teasing or not! Dense that way, I guess!

Just trying to see what was possible with plain old marbles.. trying to light them in an interesting way.... play with the multiple reflections.

I meant every single word of that post. When I say, "I'm diggin' ", that's a clue that I am "diggin'" on something...and it's a clue to my birth decade as well.

Perhaps you can re-read my original post and look at each word at face value. Some clues: "Wow-what an incredible, luscious, richly-colored subject these are!!!"

and also "what looks like NR, but still, I am diggin' the look" >>>>quick observation about the technical aspect of a pic and a "but still"....followed by positive comment...

And finally, " simply LOVE the colors in these, and think these have huge potential.">>>>>>>Okay, yet another positive comment about how I love the colors, and then the phrase "huge potential".

I actually thought the subject matter was excellent, and that it has a huge potential upside.

I meant every single word of that post. When I say, "I'm diggin' ", that's a clue that I am "diggin'" on something...and it's a clue to my birth decade as well.

Perhaps you can re-read my original post and look at each word at face value. Some clues: "Wow-what an incredible, luscious, richly-colored subject these are!!!"

and also "what looks like NR, but still, I am diggin' the look" >>>>quick observation about the technical aspect of a pic and a "but still"....followed by positive comment...

And finally, " simply LOVE the colors in these, and think these have huge potential.">>>>>>>Okay, yet another positive comment about how I love the colors, and then the phrase "huge potential".

I actually thought the subject matter was excellent, and that it has a huge potential upside.

Thank you, Derrel... I appreciate it! I was trying to do something a little different... and working on lighting some difficult subjects. I love working with reflections also... and these have a lot of reflections!

I am guessing you probably remember some of the computer type art / animated graphics that was popular in the late 80s /early 90's... reflective balls on checkerboard fields.. that type of thing? I am trying to recreate some of that photographically.. and it is difficult. These were just some of the test shots, and lighting examples. I just thought they were kind of neat (dating myself with that word, aren't I?)!

I am trying a variety of lighting on the project... full scrims 360 degrees around, light tent, brollys, hard light, flags, etc... I find dealing with reflective balls interesting... when one of the challenges is to reflect only what I want the viewer to see. Any suggestions are appreciated!

Shooting through a round aperture in a large board covered in black is one way to make sure you and the camera are not seen.

I've been fascinated by round, reflective things like Christmas ornaments simply placed inside of cut lkead crystal bowls and placed on tables...the trouble is how reflective the darned things are--mirror-like.

ON these, I LOVE the starburst-type effect on #2...I do not like the NR look, but I do love the lighting effect. I'm wondering about a cross-star filter, if you want some of that "Eighties Feel"...

I think focal length experiments might also make some difference. The colors and the richness are really good to me. Glass and ceramic subjects can be pretty complicated. Not really my forte. I don't have much in the way of suggestions, except for those few general comments I made above.

Shooting through a round aperture in a large board covered in black is one way to make sure you and the camera are not seen.

I've been fascinated by round, reflective things like Christmas ornaments simply placed inside of cut lkead crystal bowls and placed on tables...the trouble is how reflective the darned things are--mirror-like.

ON these, I LOVE the starburst-type effect on #2...I do not like the NR look, but I do love the lighting effect. I'm wondering about a cross-star filter, if you want some of that "Eighties Feel"...

I think focal length experiments might also make some difference. The colors and the richness are really good to me. Glass and ceramic subjects can be pretty complicated. Not really my forte. I don't have much in the way of suggestions, except for those few general comments I made above.

I do have a white shoot through I was using... black is a good idea.. will try it!

Yes.. same here.. reflective objects are tough to light. I have considered trying some polarization also.. still playing with the ideas! These are actually 1" steel balls... although the top one has some glass marbles around the edges.

I have that starburst in a "normal" mode also.. I was cranking on some of the sharpening and NR settings.. to get some different effects. I will post one of the non-cranked ones! A star filter would be cool.. may have to order one!

I shot a pretty wide variety of exposures \ focal lengths on these also... will post some of the others for feedback.. maybe get some other ideas!

Thanks! :)

Derrel,

here are two basically SOOC.. just a very light sharpening....

_DSC8141_hf.jpg

_DSC8145_hf.jpg

mid to late 80's ???? ever heard of max headrom misspelled as I was really really young in those days or (maybe not !) LOL

Most reactions

Back