I JUST GOT A BOX OF SUPPLIES I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT!!

Complicated :) I guess the numbers across the top in red are EV. GOST /DIN is given. DIN/ASA (ISO) can be got from a table
ASA DIN ISO

EV/shutterspeed/f-number also can be computed from a table
Exposure value - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (table 1)

You set the GOST (DIN) and that calibrates the shutterspeeds to the f-number readout.
But as the meter reads-off in EV, why the dial computer? Unless somehow the dial should be read as it aligns to the needle above?

I find it confusing!

As far as the "kino" issue, that may mean that the light meter you have was also intended for use with an 8mm movie camera.

Kino for cine. Yes I think it too.

^ Thanks for the interpretation, by the way; I'm trying to learn Russian but I don't know too many actual words yet. Getting through cyrillic script was a major hurdle.

:) I just see a lot of low-budget/no-budget film making groups around the world called "Kino".

ScribbledShinanigan..I wouldn't bother with trying to get your head around that meter (unless you're really into the idea). It's an anachronistic thing from days gone by. Get a German/Japanese/American analogue one quite cheap (ebay / junk shop) - be easier to use.

Last edited:
that meter looks like a gossen. it isn'e that difficult to use. the Din # = ISO, or in this case ASA, which is directly opposite the din #.
Aim the meter and there should be a button on the side if i remember correctly. the black needle at the top will move to a number. Place the triangle at the bottom on the same number in red. Your options will be shown on the large dial, shutter spedds are first ring, fstop the second. you choose what combination you wish. DOF or shutter speed would be the determing factor. Ignore the Knho #'s.

By the way, these types of meters are still used ; mainly for studio and LF work.

Most reactions

Back