i just realized how much i hate this 1.6x crop factor

rasheemo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I didn't fully understand this whole crop factor business until after i bought my first "real" lens (50mm 1.8). geez i have to step further back than i thought to take pictures. but i guess with lower end DSLRs (XT) i have no choice right? =[

so 50mm is practically 80mm. geez! >_<

people who need distance like birders and sports photographers enjoy this though....

Yep. It's quite handy for telephotos; you get more for your money. But it does negatively affect the wider end, unfortunately.

I'd love my 10-22 to be a real 10mm. But 16mm is still lovely.

whats a crop factor

people who need distance like birders and sports photographers enjoy this though....

;)

My 70-200 f/2.8 with a TC-14E II becomes the equivalent of a 420 f/4 (with VR)......see avatar.

I didn't fully understand this whole crop factor business until after i bought my first "real" lens (50mm 1.8). geez i have to step further back than i thought to take pictures. but i guess with lower end DSLRs (XT) i have no choice right? =[

so 50mm is practically 80mm. geez! >_<

But once you used to it. It is not a problem any more.

For those like to get the 85mm f1.8, they can get a 50mm and save some $$. How nice, right? I have the 50mm and really, once you know the lens, it is really not a problem at all.

It could be worse-- my camera is an advanced p&s and it has about a 6x crop factor. That is one of the biggest frustrations with my camera and one of the few reasons I'm thinking about upgrading to a dslr anytime soon.

I don't see how the camera cropping the image, or photoshop cropping is any different?

It means you can't fit everything you want into the picture, given the same viewing distance.

No i understand when it comes to wide angle, but when it comes to telephoto people say its better for sports and bird shots or whatnot... I can do the same in photoshop... How is it better?

... or you can get the Sigma 35mm f1.4

No i understand when it comes to wide angle, but when it comes to telephoto people say its better for sports and bird shots or whatnot... I can do the same in photoshop... How is it better?

How is it better is not really right it is just different. If you have two cameras lets say a FX Nikon at 12MP and a DX at 10mp and you take the same shot. You will capture more of the scene on the full frame FX sensor. You have to crop it down to give the same view as the DX sensor. SO your picture has only 5 to 6 MP instead of 10 that is on the DX sensor so you lose data. Also you have to do alot more PP to get the same shot. SO you have more effective reach in effect if you want only the subject in the frame. If you are a landscape focused photographer it is worse for you if you are looking for shots of small birds or wildlife that way it is a benefit. It is a different tool for a different job to make it easier but you can still get good pictures with either.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back