I know I'm new to TPF and all, but....

Shelly1204

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've noticed an unusual large number of posts from newbies that either go one of two ways:

(1) "I just bought a brand new 7D with a kit lens, so now i can be a professional photographer and charge people money. I just booked a wedding for this weekend. Can someone tell me how to get the lens cap off?"

or,

(2) "What does JPEG mean?" or any other simple question that could be answered with either a forum or a google search.

Is this pretty much the gist of the new people on this forum? How do you guys who have been here for so long have patience? For those who do photography full time, doesn't it piss you off a bit that so many people think they can buy an expensive camera and bam, they're automatically at your level?

You guys are awfully nice to these types of posters. Just sayin'....

Happy holidays. :mrgreen:

Yep, that's the way it goes sometimes. I usually ignore them and move on to other posts. While it does seem to happen often, it's not the only thing going on here, and there's always much more helpful and lively discussions that I'd rather read or participate in. It's not something you're ever going to stop, especially by jumping on them about it, so take it all for what it's worth and either help them or move on.

She said it all, wonder what %age of posts on TPF are like that, or the "What camera should I buy?", "What lens should I buy?", "Should I buy a Canon?", "Should I buy a Nikon?" without doing a little searching for when the same question has already been answered hunderds of times?

People talk about being a "Pro", when you know they aren't anywhere near ready just because of the question they asked.

There was a thread awhile back about what makes a Pro, and the concensus answer was pretty much "You charge money for it"

When I posted a long answer about the fact that one should know what the frick they were doing before they went pro I got clobbered for saying such a thing.

And the basic answer to many questions here seems to be to spend MORE money, get better equipment when many people can't even use what they already have properly.

Thanks for posting what many here already agree with!

Welcome to TPF!

We already have a "Thanks!" key to click on, what about having a "Geeeshhh!" as well?

I like to help out because if people just starting out in digital photography really knew how much work study practice and effort it takes to get to where their work would be considered to be actually very far above average(if that is their goal), they would probably regret ever starting down the path.
I remember when I was just starting out and a little help from people with more experience goes a long way.
People who think they can just run out and buy a camera and charge money for their work are just kidding themselves and stealing money from anyone who is crazy enough to hire them.
I feel sorry for the people who are at the what does Jpeg mean stage, they have soooooo much to learn.

See, those that have "been here longer" are the ones that are on the verge of leaving and not coming back as they have out grown this forum. I know quite a few people who have left the forum as they get tired of the exact type of posting you have picked up on.

I personally love internet forums, but I do need to feel that I get out as much as I put in. I feel that I do put in quite a bit here and as I grow as a photographer, I starting to feel the need to seek greener pastures to grow from as there are only so many lens upgrade and just got my camera yesterday please CC my vacation shots threads one can take.

I find myself skipping over more threads than reading them.

But there are some people here I respect and appreciate their comments, which is why I come back. :)

There's also going to be a lot more new members around this time of the year due to Christmas and a lot of people just getting their cameras.

Shelly, you should view this forum as a reality show.
You can regularly vote people off "Who Wants to be a Photographer" .
It's quite fun!

Its rather funny actually to me that you say this. No matter what forum that you may become a part of it is always the same thing.

1. When the site is new = Everyone is new and noob questions are not a problem.
2. As a forum grows the original members or at least those who have been a part of the forum for a long time become the ones that complain about the same post over and over again.

Of course this is only 2 points as I don’t feel like going too far into it at the moment. However, If people would stop and think about why these types of forums are created to begin with then perhaps they will have patience with others. Especially when looking at the "Photography Beginners' Forum &Photo Gallery".. Perhaps there is a reason why this section is named this way???

Questions like you have mentioned are to be expected as this forum is open to everyone from those who 'know it all' to those of us who know nothing "yet" but are seeking advice of others. If someone does not wish to comment on a thread then don’t... ITs pretty simple really.

I am pretty sure I'll get flamed for what I say in this post as that is the usual thing that happens but hey what can I say besides.. If your past the point of dealing with beginner level questions then perhaps its time for you to move on up to the more advanced forum....

With that being said.... Mahalo to those who choose to deal with all the newbies trying to explore the world of photography.

I do think its funny though that you used part of one of your own thread questions for this thread...

"I'm new to photography, hoping to make it a new and relaxing hobby. I'm picking up a Canon 7D next week (currently using an Alpha 100). It comes with a 28-135mm IS Lens. What other lens should be my next purchase? I'll mostly be using it indoors, low light to shoot family and to learn on. I'll probably also be using it for video as well. Should I just spend the money on a good flash to use off camera instead? What would you suggest for both? (Shelly1204, 12-11-2009)"

Not trying to pick on you or anything.. Im sure if the search function would allow you to go far enough back that we could find almost every forum member here asking a question at one point that would be considered noobish.

Last edited:
HotWire, the problem I have is that so many things can be answered with Google and Wiki, if people would even bother. Then when they get the basic question answered, and have more in depth questions, by all means, ask them. Repeated threads asking what DoF, bokeh, etc are, is silly. I see it as laziness. They are the first voted off the show.

I think it's funny how the 'people who've been here longer' continually come here and bash the forum, and the people posting here. They make little 'pacts' to try and fend off the new comers. Then, once they've 'had enough' they leave....But wait! A month later, they all come back, and try to (in a very subtle way) promote their new forum to the people on this forum. It doesn't make sense to me. If you don't like TPF or the people here, why come and try and bring them to another forum. lol

I think it's funny how the 'people who've been here longer' continually come here and bash the forum, and the people posting here. They make little 'pacts' to try and fend off the new comers. Then, once they've 'had enough' they leave....But wait! A month later, they all come back, and try to (in a very subtle way) promote their new forum to the people on this forum. It doesn't make sense to me. If you don't like TPF or the people here, why come and try and bring them to another forum. lol
Cool reference to one person in particular. :p

This thread is pimptacular! :pimp::pimp::pimp::pimp:

To be honest. I usually only reply to threads when I am extremely bored at work. I know, I'm sure my boss would be ecstatic if he knew, lol. I try to offer good advice if I can clearly tell that someone is putting in some effort on their end. There are other times when I open a thread and facepalm.

Anyway, welcome to TPF. Happy Holidays to you too.

Shelly, you should view this forum as a reality show.
You can regularly vote people off "Who Wants to be a Photographer" .
It's quite fun!

Shouldn't it be "America's Next Top Photographer"? I didn't think they voted on the equivalent to "Who Wants to be a Photographer"

Most reactions

New Topics

Back