I know this question is old BUT...

sweetbutterfly1973

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
As new as I am here, I do realize this question has been asked many times. Sorry for asking again BUT I still need to ask though...( I am a little nervous as I have read a few similar threads and I just want people here to know I am NOT planning on going Pro)

I am looking to buy an SLR. My very first DSLR. I have little-to-no experience with photography but I am planning on learning and taking a course next month. I wish I could learn first and then I would be better equipped to choose an SLR. However, it seems to make most sense to have a camera to fool around with and get used to and learn on while I am taking the course.

My main goal is to take portraits of newborns and babies. I am not looking to go pro. But I would like to take pictures I am proud of and I really want to learn.

I cannot afford the best. I want to purchase an entry level DSLR. The camera I buy needs to give me room to grow as well. I dont want to wish in a year I bought a better version.

Can I also get recommendations on lenses and lighting? I guess I am looking to be able to afford 1000-1500 for camera. Video is important to me as well.

I did buy the Understanding Exposure book to get myself started.

I really appreciate any advice you can give me. Thank you for taking the time to respond

Go pro. ...you know you want to :sexywink:

As a Canon fan – I would recommend the T3i or any of the Canon rebel series cameras with video.
They have growing room and will use a wide range of lenses and other accessories.
Lighting you could go with a speedlight 430 or 580 (580EX ii will work as a master flash)

Best thing to do is go to a nearby camera shop and try them out. See how they feel if the menus are understandable for you and what kind of options you can get with your budget

What kind of budget are looking to start out with?
:er:

I guess I am looking to be able to afford 1000-1500 for camera.

D90 with a 50mm 1.8 lens, two SB-600's and a nice sized softbox is that I would recommend. You should be right around $1300 or less the more you deal hunt and have the gear for some amazing newborn shots.

And yes, I would have the camera before you take a course, hands on knowledge sticks with you far longer than something you hear or see....

p!nK

Wait.... You read Understanding Exposure BEFORE purchasing a camera?

Major style points.

Major.

My horribly biased reccomondation based on your budget would be a Nikon D90 or a Nikon D7000. Both are excellent cameras, both are good with video (although the D7000 is said to be better), both have the capability of using almost any Nikon lens made in the last 30 years, and both will take a beginner a long long time to outgrow talent wise.

The major players are Nikon, Canon, Pentax and Sony and I'm not sure where Olympus is in terms of DSLR. Nikon and Canon are by far the market leaders in terms of DSLRs sold. Buying one of those brands will give you a good camera to start with and all cameras have the ability to take great photos. Since you're totally new I would recommend just buying a camera and a kit lens to get the feel of taking photos. Flash photography can take some time to learn itself but you need to learn how to take a photo and why it worked or didn't work without the added "problem" of trying to learn flash. Your camera will come with a pop up flash which is horrible lighting but it is a flash.

I believe all the latest DSLRs have video capability. For portraits, the focal length that was the norm was 85mm to 105mm but it seems a lot of people are saying use a 50mm lens these days. Prime lenses (one focal length) are the standard to do portraits although it does sound like there are people who are using zooms. Equipment money adds up fast and great equipment adds up even faster. The only problem I would imagine is that once you start to learn photography and become serious about it a true beginner DSLR may lack features that a little higher end DSLR will have.

Oops. I'm medicated at the moment so that's the excuse I'm sticking with. :lol:

D90 with a 50mm 1.8 lens, two SB-600's and a nice sized softbox is that I would recommend. You should be right around $1300 or less the more you deal hunt and have the gear for some amazing newborn shots.

And yes, I would have the camera before you take a course, hands on knowledge sticks with you far longer than something you hear or see....

p!nK

I'd go along with that, especially on having the camera before the class.

Wait.... You read Understanding Exposure BEFORE purchasing a camera?

Major style points.

Major.

My horribly biased reccomondation based on your budget would be a Nikon D90 or a Nikon D7000. Both are excellent cameras, both are good with video (although the D7000 is said to be better), both have the capability of using almost any Nikon lens made in the last 30 years, and both will take a beginner a long long time to outgrow talent wise.

I was kinda excited to get started lol. I do have a camera that I purchased about 6 months ago and when I started becoming more interested in photography I realized it isnt what I want. It is a Canon SX30 IS. I love the camera as far as a point and shoot goes. It is really great. But now I want to do more.

I was thinking about the Nikon D90 :) What type of lens would you recommend for portraits? I have read many conflicting opinions. 35 mm, 50 mm and higher. I am pretty confused on the lens end of things.

p!nK
Thanks for your response, I was thinking about the Nikon D90. I have been a Canon consumer for every camera I have ever owned!. I think it is time to try something different!!

I'm a canon girl - so that's all I know, but you should really look at the 50mm 1.8 if you want to do portraits. It's about $130 & a great lens to start off with.

What type of lens would you recommend for portraits? I have read many conflicting opinions. 35 mm, 50 mm and higher. I am pretty confused on the lens end of things.

35, 50, 100, 135, 200... it depends on which kind of composition, there is no one length for all, so to be sure take all lengths or a fast zoom.

Anyway, start with 35 or 50 :) .

I would recommend looking into some yonguo flashes and wireless flash triggers aswell. They are fairly cheap on ebay and are fairly good quality.

Nikon D7000 Kit or body only and get your own prime lens.
D90 kit or body only and get your own prime lens.

You can probably find a combination of either body and lense for $1,500 or less
depending on which lens you get.

Good thing is, there a lot of choices.
Bad thing is, there are a lot of choices.

I just upgrade to the D7000 from the entry level D40 (original model), which is still a decent camera.
The D7000 has some nice added features from the D90, but the D90 might fit your bill also.

I've always used kit lenses, but ther were never great in low light. I recently rented a nice lens, a nikon 70-200mm f2.8 for a school play and it blew my mind on how good the quality was in low light (no flash).

Lighting...I'm still learning myself.

Rock on...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back