I learned Frequency Separation!

DGMPhotography

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
For those who don't know (which included myself up until recently), frequency separation is a technique used to soothe out skin blotchiness while retaining texture. This could be really useful in fashion and glamor shots, and to a certain degree all sorts of portraits. I'm sure I've got some further mastering to do, but I've gotten a grasp of the basics and I really look forward to using this more!

It's a subtle yet effective effect as opposed to just using the healing brush on everything.

Original vs. Frequency Separation Edit

tpf-2.JPG tpf-1.JPG

Hats off to you for being subtle with the changes. That is the hardest thing to do with FreqSep. Now just brighten the eyes and color the lips a touch and you've got this one.

Well, this isn't my photo haha. Another photographer took this for my company, I just used it as an opportunity to practice this technique. But thanks! It's subtle, but I still notice a huge difference and I really like it :)

Took me a bit but I see it now
above the eyebrows in in the forehead - removal/soothing of a few bumps
and the cheeks - removal/soothing of the wrinkles and larger bumps/movement of the skin

it's like adding or removing Botox for a digital image!

Took me a bit but I see it now
above the eyebrows in in the forehead - removal/soothing of a few bumps
and the cheeks - removal/soothing of the wrinkles and larger bumps/movement of the skin

it's like adding or removing Botox for a digital image!

Something like that. Basically Frequency Separation separates the tone from the texture and allows you to smooth out the color without loosing the texture of the skin. (You can still clone out blemishes on the texture side). I watched a video from Sharkpixel and then downloaded the free freq sep action she provides. This comes from a professional retoucher. I like it and it adds, eyes, lips and contouring in the action that you can use or not.

I think you did a good job keeping it subtle. I prefer dodging and burning still, but I also don't mind spending a long time perfecting a single photograph.

I think you did a good job keeping it subtle. I prefer dodging and burning still, but I also don't mind spending a long time perfecting a single photograph.

I think there's room to do both, honestly.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back