I like nature

nokili

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
:D Well for my Birthday in March I got a D90, and it seems that I like taking photos :sexywink:

So I have been mainly messing around, taking A LOT of photos of nature and junk like that...I thought (after much nail biting and several irritating doubts) that I would find a photo forum and see what others thought....now I AM a complete noob when it comes to photography...I havent edited these at all (besides maybe rotating them) and I am not too familiar with the terms and rules and etc etc, but I want to learn, and I am excited to..so some feed back if you would like :)

1.My first attempt at light painting
DSC_0010.jpg

2.Rocks?
DSC_0263.jpg

3.I like Rocks
DSC_0287.jpg

4. I really Like Rocks
DSC_0289.jpg

5.Flamingos I dont like this one too much
DSC_0005.jpg

6. Swan
DSC_0196.jpg

I have a lot more, but it's late and I would like to go to bed soon :)

Thanks so much!

Last edited:
I can only see one photo. The others seem to be links from your local drive. You need to upload them all to photobucket or even better, flickr.

Photobucket does the from time to time. I'm no expert or anything, but I think 1 and 4 grab my eye the most. I've always wanted to try light painting and I dig the textures of the rocks, although, you'll have people gripe due to the horizon not being level.

Thanks, I think i fixed it up now :) I will tell you that like painting is one of my most fav things i have ever done, it took about 100 attempts to get even an ok shot, but it was worth it :) yeah the horizon in pic (2 now since i fixed it) is off i thought abou that when uploading it, but the textures are interesting to me also i am glad that you noticed that

can you please tell me in detail how you did #1 as i have tried this with my husbands ute and i just cant seem to get it right.

can you please tell me in detail how you did #1 as i have tried this with my husbands ute and i just cant seem to get it right.

Welll...I don't have my camera with me...so i cant remember the exact settings but here is what i remember
First you have to have a remote for your camera (or should) Makes it WAY easier and a tripod of course, making it easier was parking the cars setting up the camera, and then shining the flashlight to get my camera to auto focus (you could manually focus it if you like) then switch the camera to Manual mode, my camera shutter can be open for an unlimited amount of time (at least I have kept it open for 2-3 min) as long as I am in the Manual mode and using BULB(i use the remote that i talked about earlier to open<paint the cars with a flashlight>close the shutter) now for the ISO and apeture it depends on the light you are using and the situation i messed around alot with the settings but i think for this one the ISO was set very very low (I noticed that this kept longer exposures from becoming noisey and over exposed)
Like i say I am not at home so I dont have my camera in front of me, but you get the jist, i think the thing that helped alot was we went into the middle of no where (so that we could have a longer exposure) and we were able to mess alot with the flashlights, i think that its really about just tyring different things out!

The best thing i can tell you about what lights to use is several, we had alot of diff ones, led colored just regular, when "painting" the cars we literally painted them, its a little hard to tell when you arent there, but when you try it out you will get what i mean :) we are going out this weekend to try again. I think that maybe ill take a video to explain LOL

I am NO Professional! So other people probably know alot more than me...but that is what we did!

1. exposure looks great. good job on the painting just not sure if i am totally feeling it. good photo all the same.
2. i like this, i would maybe play with the brightness or even the saturation a bit.
3 and 4 are pretty boring
5. could use to be a little sharper but colour looks great!
6. swan is out of focus.

What's a "ute"?

To do a similar type shot, you put the camera on a tripod and use the lowest ISO setting, an aperture setting between f/8 and f/16, you'll have to manually focus on the subject and then either use the longest shutter speed or use the bulb setting to control when the shutter closes.

To get the light trails you would have someone hold the light source and move around while the shutter is open. It's best if they don't stop moving or they'll end up in the shot...unless you want to create ghost like images.

Light Painting: A Step-By-Step Guide

Painting With Light

Lightpainting Lightsabres

Tips on How to Light Paint (video)

Write Or Draw With Light

Flickr: Light Painting - The Real Deal

1. exposure looks great. good job on the painting just not sure if i am totally feeling it. good photo all the same.
2. i like this, i would maybe play with the brightness or even the saturation a bit.
3 and 4 are pretty boring
5. could use to be a little sharper but colour looks great!
6. swan is out of focus.

I agree totally, rocks are pretty boring, i just like the colors mostly :) I can understand on one, there are alot of "mess ups" etc on the light too, i think the effect that i liked was the "jelly" around the car, and that it doesnt seem like it but it take a heck of alot of running around to get a shot like that :). I was trying to play with foreground middle and background in the swan photo mostly color etc it is oof i think the light is poorly balanced also, and the swan is in shadow...that doesnt make for a good photo..lol I end up judginh my own heheh

thanks though

Here is another light painting from the same night, this one taken on my friends camera.

CARS.jpg

I like the new one that you posted and the first one a lot. Is that your subaru? I love that car. You should rally race somewhere in NM haha. Nice picture i like the lighting a lot in the new one. Good job.
-TJ

I like the new one that you posted and the first one a lot. Is that your subaru? I love that car. You should rally race somewhere in NM haha. Nice picture i like the lighting a lot in the new one. Good job.
-TJ

Heheheheh No the S60R is our car the Subie is my boyfriends friends...there is alot of dirt here...could def do some rally! Thanks for the input to everyone! I appreciate it

Most reactions

Back