I live in a very visually boring place

It need not equal $$$$$$$$$, plan it... and it may equal $$ :) if you need help planning it let me know! :)

I would so NOT NOT NOT get another point and shoot. You can get a used D3000 with lens for like $370.00 Instead of getting another point and shoot why not save until you can get something worth learning on?

Used Nikon D3000 SLR Digital Camera with 18-55mm VR Lens 25462B

even better!

Used Nikon D3000 SLR Digital Camera Body 25460B B&H Photo Video body only and then get this lens....

Used Nikon AF-S Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G DX Lens 2183B B&H Photo Video

455-

Why would you want a point and shoot? Just askin' if you are getting a NEW camera to learn some photography get somethign worth getting, not something you can get NOW@! Save up, wait, save some more....

Have a talk with your aunt and have her give you money instead, but have her hold onto it if you are not good at saving.... and then whatever other money you can save per week, 5 bux here, 5 there.....

I think you are going to be disappointment with another point and shoot.

It need not equal $$$$$$$$$, plan it... and it may equal $$ :) if you need help planning it let me know! :)

the amount of $s something costs is not the same for everyone. A road trip for me is also closer to $$$$$$$$$ than $$.

----

The problem with road trips is that the perfect photograph is always 100 miles away.

the amount of $s something costs is not the same for everyone. A road trip for me is also closer to $$$$$$$$$ than $$.

----

The problem with road trips is that the perfect photograph is always 100 miles away.

I just booked a trip to Vegas! Do you know how long I have been saving for this trip? 8+ YEARS! YES! Do you want something that is $$$$ start SAVING NOW! I put a few bucks here and there into a savings account whenever I could, until I got up to $4000. The hotel, air, Cirque de Sol, Fantasy, and Hoover Dam Tour brought me right at 2100 and so I have the rest to spend while there.

Don't make excuses, make plans and just DO IT!

why?

The point is to SAVE, even if it is just change you find on the street...

sorry the point was missed.

My point is though that you can't just say "save" without knowing the circumstances people are in. Often there just isn't anything to save without sacrificing EVERYTHING first.

I cannot speak for Rose, but for me saving $6000 might be like saving $60,000 for you. It's just not really practical right now; it'd take a LOT of quarters off the street to pay for a measly road trip.

... but you know, I think we're talking about two different investments here ...

Last edited:
I cannot speak for Rose, but for me saving $6000 might be like saving $60,000 for you. It's just not really practical right now; it'd take a LOT of quarters off the street to pay for a measly road trip.
You should get yourself familiar with the concept of compound interest.

Also, while I'm at it..... delayed gratification.

I've only read the last 7 posts, so I may have missed something that ties your comments together.

I totally understand. Believe me. If you said a trip is 4000 I would laugh in your face. I have 3 kids, I am a mostly stay at home mom, my husband is enlisted in the Navy. We are not rich. Like I said it took me 8 years to save 4 grand. EIGHT! And I'm not telling her to save 4000, she doesnt need 4000 to go on a trip... If you look at the BIG number you will vomit. Start small, make $10 your goal..... is that obtainable? $10 is a few gallons of gas, so after that first 10, save another 10, now you have 20, maybe it took you 6 months, but there ya go. baby steps. baby steps. I'm also 33, almost 34 years old, I have no idea your age, but I am pretty sure the original poster is pretty young. I started saving when I was 26. opened a savings account titled Vacation with 5 bux.... Baby steps sweetheart, baby steps.

If you want something bad enough you will do whatever it take to get it.........just sayin.

^^ This is not true. Everyone dies with unfulfilled dreams.

@@

excuses.

If you want to go on a road trip, start saving. PERIOD. Saying, no whining, I don't have the money, is getting no where fast.

And if I ever EVER stop dreaming and wanting for things I've yet to obtain, well someone just shoot me.

Last edited:
Don't be silly. It all comes down to priorities.
Do you have an iphone? Sell it.
Do you have cable tv? Cancel it.
Do you have a gas guzzler? Trade it in.
Do you eat out? Stop.
If you want to......there is money to be saved. :greenpbl:

I love how I havent posted on this issue at all and people are debating on what I should get/respond to my aunt when I never asked for anyone's opinion and quite frankly is none of their business. Not that I have to explain myself.... Yes savIng for an SLR is not an option at the moment. There are a million things falling apart with my home that has to take priority. And with my Aunt, she is so excited about buying me this camera. This is the same person who threw me my wedding. She is now soon could be facing a very financial time in her life and she scrounged up every bit she had to buy me a better camera (I didn't even ask for it) she says how she sees how I love photography and wants to be a part in that. Do you really think I'm going to turn around and say "sry the one you wanted to get me isn't good enough, I'll just take the cash instead" and I don't care why anybody says, just looking at the photos posted earlier in this thread the photos are still a million times better then what my camera is able to produce. Instead of bitching an whining, I'm going to be appreciative that I am getting anything at all, without this new camera I would get nothing.Again, I love how people are talking about what I should/shouldn't do when I never asked anyone's opinion.It's like that time I sat with my in-laws and they started debating amongst eachother When my husband and I were going to start having children without consulting our feelings on the situation. And I don't know where you guys buy cameras (and it's not a point and shoot technically), but she got it for $199

Don't you have any parks around.. i remember when i lived in florida they had these neat planks of wood walks.. raised high.. so you could walk through swampy areas.. i saw all kinds of wildlife ..alligators included... banana spiders.. fireants.. wow maybe thats why you don't want to venture too far.. haha..only joking.. really what about the beaches and marinas... bridges and canals.. lots of scenic pics..

Most reactions

New Topics

Back