I live in Corpus Christi and there are NO real photography stores here

Yea the last Camera Store we had in town just went down, sad stuff.

I'm just telling the truth cloud.many new photographers nowadays are gear heads. I'm not one of them still have my 2003 computer

I live in Corpus Christi... Definitely nothing here as far as camera stuff is concerned. I think the smart phones killed the camera shops. Everyone has a legit point and shoot camera on their phone already. Why buy anything else?

I'd consider myself still quite new. Not many people to shoot around with. Let me know if anything is going on.

any reason why you don't just buy online? Seems better than traveling a long time just to go to a photo store.

Really? Still have some cameras that are over 20 years old... Should I get rid of them because the warranty ran out? Good luck with your photo business.

Really? Do you even know how to tell good advice from bad right here on TPF? I doubt it. Now, let's talk about delivery time. Can you really afford to wait for the two day delivery of this important piece of gear you absolutely need when you factor in the costs of the studio space not being used, the model, the MU artist, etc etc? Do you really like to pay for the privilege to work?

Good luck with you business model.

20 year old + cameras are collector items that may or may not get used regularly. You really expect places to keep parts to these in stock? The big box stores don't even do this. If the smaller shops were worried about keeping your old parts in stock they would double store size and have a LOT of old stock. More than likely, your going to be doing your ordering online somehow and probably at least checking ebay in the process.

Dodging bad advice and accepting good advice in not JUST an online problem. Luckily you can in fact judge who to trust on forums by sticking around and reading for a week or two. We have 3 or 4 that I would trust my money with as well as asking for help on technique or setup for anything I'm doing. Whether or not I follow through and take that advice is my decision in the end. With that, there are probably 200+ people on here I see post daily that I would NOT take advice from or trust with my money. Your camera shop owner, whether you accept it or not, is going to push their product brands whether it's what fits you 100% or not. If they don't sell Nikon...I bet my bank account they don't offer Nikon as a camera that is best suited for you. This is BAD advice, and its NOT on the forums or internet.

Common sense goes a long way, and i'd hate to see YOUR business model.

I hate going to stores anymore. If I can help I order everything from amazon.

THIS is what killed camera stores. Not digital and not camera phones.

This is what kills the economy as well, lol. I admit, I order a lot on Amazon...but it's only after I look locally for a couple days or if box stores like wal-mart are the only ones that carry it. Some hobbies just are not able to be funded locally so Amazon or small online businesses are the easiest/only way to go.

People like the instant gratification buying online provides.

In the last 5 years I bought most of my gear and other supplies online, but I also bought most of it from brick and mortar stores that sold online, like B&H Photo Video.

Well I meant development wise. No need to know how to develope films just print with the right printer. I think the problem is more warranty. People don't need to get their cameras fixed at a store because warranty covers it. Usually when the 3 year warranty is over they upgrade

Really? Still have some cameras that are over 20 years old... Should I get rid of them because the warranty ran out? Good luck with your photo business.

EBAY killed the camera store, not digital. This forum killed the camera store too. i say this cause you can order anything you need online and get good reviews of the equipment online. And many places have forums where you can get more advice on photography. so you dont really need the camera store.

Really? Do you even know how to tell good advice from bad right here on TPF? I doubt it. Now, let's talk about delivery time. Can you really afford to wait for the two day delivery of this important piece of gear you absolutely need when you factor in the costs of the studio space not being used, the model, the MU artist, etc etc? Do you really like to pay for the privilege to work?

Holy Thread Hijack Batman!

I just wanted to go and put my hands on some stuff to play with to see what I might be interested in...

Thank you Breaux, I will give them a try when/if I get up that way.

Thank you as well DiscoJoe. I will look them up as well.

Anyone know of any places in San Antonio?

I grew up in San Antonio but live in DC now. I just shot an email to a friend from SA and will get you info ASAP. I know there are big box stores (yuck) in SA that carry camera equipment, but I think there may also be Ritz camera stores. At least there were in 2001 when I was still living there.

I'm curious... do any of you that keep talking about online killing local stores bother to look into what you're saying? I'm a book publisher and I sell on Amazon. I don't need a local store and it's cheaper. Lot's of the stuff you see is not for sale by Amazon, it's stores that sell online. Amazon makes a small commission from it.

eBay is the same way. I've bought stuff from out of state physical stores on eBay at great prices. In fact, I got my Panasonic DVX100B from a Pawn Shop selling on eBay for $1,000. The same camera on Amazon was running for $2,500 at the time, and mine included a $400 Sennheiser mic and a $300 MXL mic, which I assume was an oversight by the pawn shop thinking the mics weren't worth much.

Amazon and eBay are the reason some of these local stores can stay open because they are adapting to modern technology. The one's that refuse to sell online are hurting. However, do some research on Amazon and you'll find that about 90% of the items they sell come from individuals or mom & pop stores that need an online presence. If you want to support your local business, but don't want to travel, find them online and make a purchase. You don't have to go into the store to support to give them your business.

With that said, I shop local, specifically 1 store in town because the owner is always there, she is always helpful, and always nice. If she doesn't have it, I buy online because I don't like the customer service at any of the other stores I've been to so far. I have to really be in immediate need to shop at the local B&C store, which I'll have to do next week because of slow shipping for the holiday and I'm going to pick up my 50mm prime lens. Other than that, I'd be shopping online.

The thing that killed camera stores is not adapting to the times and establishing an internet presence.

I grew up in San Antonio but live in DC now. I just shot an email to a friend from SA and will get you info ASAP. I know there are big box stores (yuck) in SA that carry camera equipment, but I think there may also be Ritz camera stores. At least there were in 2001 when I was still living there.

Try Camera Exchange on San Pedro Avenue. Go to The Camera Exchange Inc.. They have high prices, from what I understand, but if you are not going to go through B&H or Adorama (why you would not use these is BEYOND me), this is an alternative.

I'm curious... do any of you that keep talking about online killing local stores bother to look into what you're saying? I'm a book publisher and I sell on Amazon. I don't need a local store and it's cheaper. Lot's of the stuff you see is not for sale by Amazon, it's stores that sell online. Amazon makes a small commission from it.

eBay is the same way. I've bought stuff from out of state physical stores on eBay at great prices. In fact, I got my Panasonic DVX100B from a Pawn Shop selling on eBay for $1,000. The same camera on Amazon was running for $2,500 at the time, and mine included a $400 Sennheiser mic and a $300 MXL mic, which I assume was an oversight by the pawn shop thinking the mics weren't worth much.

Amazon and eBay are the reason some of these local stores can stay open because they are adapting to modern technology. The one's that refuse to sell online are hurting. However, do some research on Amazon and you'll find that about 90% of the items they sell come from individuals or mom & pop stores that need an online presence. If you want to support your local business, but don't want to travel, find them online and make a purchase. You don't have to go into the store to support to give them your business.

With that said, I shop local, specifically 1 store in town because the owner is always there, she is always helpful, and always nice. If she doesn't have it, I buy online because I don't like the customer service at any of the other stores I've been to so far. I have to really be in immediate need to shop at the local B&C store, which I'll have to do next week because of slow shipping for the holiday and I'm going to pick up my 50mm prime lens. Other than that, I'd be shopping online.

The thing that killed camera stores is not adapting to the times and establishing an internet presence.

You killed the bookstore. (kyle from southpark voice) YOU BASTARD!

20 year old + cameras are collector items that may or may not get used regularly. You really expect places to keep parts to these in stock? The big box stores don't even do this. If the smaller shops were worried about keeping your old parts in stock they would double store size and have a LOT of old stock. More than likely, your going to be doing your ordering online somehow and probably at least checking ebay in the process.

Dodging bad advice and accepting good advice in not JUST an online problem. Luckily you can in fact judge who to trust on forums by sticking around and reading for a week or two. We have 3 or 4 that I would trust my money with as well as asking for help on technique or setup for anything I'm doing. Whether or not I follow through and take that advice is my decision in the end. With that, there are probably 200+ people on here I see post daily that I would NOT take advice from or trust with my money. Your camera shop owner, whether you accept it or not, is going to push their product brands whether it's what fits you 100% or not. If they don't sell Nikon...I bet my bank account they don't offer Nikon as a camera that is best suited for you. This is BAD advice, and its NOT on the forums or internet.

Common sense goes a long way, and i'd hate to see YOUR business model.

20 year old cameras are not collector items, i have 2 cameras that are over 20 years old that get 2/3 films through them a month, i shot a roll of 120 this afternoon on a Mamiya C330 :lol:

I'm curious... do any of you that keep talking about online killing local stores bother to look into what you're saying?

Of course.

Amazon and eBay are the reason some of these local stores can stay open because they are adapting to modern technology [...] do some research on Amazon and you'll find that about 90% of the items they sell come from individuals or mom & pop stores that need an online presence.

I believe that Amazon and eBay, i.e. internet presence, is actually the reason why these so called 'Mom and Pop' shops are forced to work within razor thin margins in order to stay competitive and sell anything. Ultimately, this leads to the close of business because they can't even make operating costs. Even big box stores like Circuit City and Best Buy have or are crumbling because of the 'internet presence'.

The reason why Amazon and eBay are able to thrive is because they don't have the same kind of overhead. They have an internet domain which has sales and support staff that likely work out of India or somewhere where labor is cheap... not something a local store can do. They don't have to pay rental and property fees that a Brick and mortar store does, because they don't have a store front. And as you say, 90% of the product they sell isn't even handled by them! They don't have to do any of the logistics involved with getting the product, marketing it, and shipping it out the door. All they have to do is charge a fee for allowing you to sell your goods inside one giant online mall. So the result is they force mom and pop shops to compete, not with the electronics store down the road or the next city over... no, they have to compete with everyone in the world now.

Amazon.com Help: Fees and Pricing
fees

Fees for selling on eBay

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back