I live in Corpus Christi and there are NO real photography stores here

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by johnh2005, Jun 13, 2011.

1. jwbryson1

jwbryson1 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I grew up in San Antonio but live in DC now. I just shot an email to a friend from SA and will get you info ASAP. I know there are big box stores (yuck) in SA that carry camera equipment, but I think there may also be Ritz camera stores. At least there were in 2001 when I was still living there.

2. etnad0

etnad0 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I'm curious... do any of you that keep talking about online killing local stores bother to look into what you're saying? I'm a book publisher and I sell on Amazon. I don't need a local store and it's cheaper. Lot's of the stuff you see is not for sale by Amazon, it's stores that sell online. Amazon makes a small commission from it.

eBay is the same way. I've bought stuff from out of state physical stores on eBay at great prices. In fact, I got my Panasonic DVX100B from a Pawn Shop selling on eBay for $1,000. The same camera on Amazon was running for $2,500 at the time, and mine included a $400 Sennheiser mic and a $300 MXL mic, which I assume was an oversight by the pawn shop thinking the mics weren't worth much.

Amazon and eBay are the reason some of these local stores can stay open because they are adapting to modern technology. The one's that refuse to sell online are hurting. However, do some research on Amazon and you'll find that about 90% of the items they sell come from individuals or mom & pop stores that need an online presence. If you want to support your local business, but don't want to travel, find them online and make a purchase. You don't have to go into the store to support to give them your business.

With that said, I shop local, specifically 1 store in town because the owner is always there, she is always helpful, and always nice. If she doesn't have it, I buy online because I don't like the customer service at any of the other stores I've been to so far. I have to really be in immediate need to shop at the local B&C store, which I'll have to do next week because of slow shipping for the holiday and I'm going to pick up my 50mm prime lens. Other than that, I'd be shopping online.

The thing that killed camera stores is not adapting to the times and establishing an internet presence.

3. jwbryson1

jwbryson1 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

4. DiskoJoe

DiskoJoe Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    You killed the bookstore. (kyle from southpark voice) YOU BASTARD!

5. gsgary

gsgary Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit

20 year old cameras are not collector items, i have 2 cameras that are over 20 years old that get 2/3 films through them a month, i shot a roll of 120 this afternoon on a Mamiya C330 :lol:

6. mjhoward

mjhoward TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Of course.

I believe that Amazon and eBay, i.e. internet presence, is actually the reason why these so called 'Mom and Pop' shops are forced to work within razor thin margins in order to stay competitive and sell anything. Ultimately, this leads to the close of business because they can't even make operating costs. Even big box stores like Circuit City and Best Buy have or are crumbling because of the 'internet presence'.

The reason why Amazon and eBay are able to thrive is because they don't have the same kind of overhead. They have an internet domain which has sales and support staff that likely work out of India or somewhere where labor is cheap... not something a local store can do. They don't have to pay rental and property fees that a Brick and mortar store does, because they don't have a store front. And as you say, 90% of the product they sell isn't even handled by them! They don't have to do any of the logistics involved with getting the product, marketing it, and shipping it out the door. All they have to do is charge a fee for allowing you to sell your goods inside one giant online mall. So the result is they force mom and pop shops to compete, not with the electronics store down the road or the next city over... no, they have to compete with everyone in the world now.

Amazon.com Help: Fees and Pricing
    fees

Fees for selling on eBay

7. gsgary

gsgary Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    I feel sorry for all of you, my local store is a Nikon and Leica dealer, look behind the counter

[​IMG]

8. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Leave four year old zombie thread to moulder peacefully.....

9. wfooshee

wfooshee No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Brick and mortar store can't show you a camera that you can get for 300 bucks less online and expect to stay in business. You go look at the camera, you like it, you walk out and go home to the computer and order it.

What used to be a very nice, very knowledgeable camera store here still exists, but only as a portrait studio.

10. beagle100

beagle100 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    I remember those Sears Olan Mills portrait studios
    unfortunately neither still exists (in a recognizable form)

11. sabbath999

sabbath999 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Honestly, I think a lot of gear heads pretend to be photographers.

I am a gear head but I am a photographer first. I love gear, but imaging comes first in my books.
    I own more cameras than just about anybody else on this forum, but that's because I like fiddling with things (and before you say "yeah, right..." I'm talking 50+ working SLR's and 25+ DSLR's plus full lens suites for Nikon, Canon and i'm building up my Sony E lenses now.

Know what I've found? By and large, gear doesn't matter to the final image. I can take the same picture (quality wise) with my D4, my D700, my D40, my Rebel 5TI, my Sony A6000, or my 6D. What really matters most is the glass.

12. desertrattm2r12

desertrattm2r12 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit

Somebody shoud tell Clodwaker that age discrimination and prejudice are not pretty. Those Old Fogies were using computers in World War 2, (analog), put men on the moon with Mickey Mouse but effective computers and did and do things you will never even understand.