I might be over my head?

Ihaveaquestion

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I just told my sister "I'll be your photographer" so she can save money for her wedding.

I have a Canon T2. I'm thinking I need a 50mm lense and a better flash? What kind of equipment should I look into getting? And whats the rule of thumb for indoor lighting?

Rule of thumb for weddings is to stay the F away from them, unless you're pro.

There's no thumbs for indoor lighting.

50/1.8 is a must... You'd probably want an 85 too... and a flash... and a flash bracket... and a backup for everything... because these things die on you...

Don't have much input on technical stuff, but I can say as an extrememly amature photographer myself that shooting a relative's wedding is a dangerous game. It really depends on the bride AND the groom's personalities. I was asked to shoot my Dad's wedding last year and in extreme naivity I said yes. They were also on an extremely tight budget - the reception was at their house.....and I knew that my Dad would really like the sentimental value of me taking the shots. Thankfully neither my Dad or his bride (to my knowledge) are either picky people and they were pleased with what I managed to capture. If they were ANY other type of personality than laid back, it could've been not fun. PLEASE make sure that you show them some quality photographer's work and if you arent sure you can produce it, then go over w/ them again and again this disclaimer.

Good luck!!

If you can get them to pay somebody to do the formal shots and your willing to spend a fair amount of money on some primes and a real flash with a defuser then you may be able to swing the journalistic style stuff. I have started to shoot small events and I can attest that its not as easy as it looks. I can not stress the need for a fast lens and a nice flash enough. There are a lot of great guide books for persons trying to get into the wedding world.

It may be cheaper to find a somewhat-new photog who has the gear and is looking to build their portfolio. Plus then you can actually enjoy the wedding.

Well the rule I know aobut filming people is the closer the better but that is just the way I like things. Canon made a nice 35-135mm lens that I think was the best all in one lenses and sence you own an EOS camera you can find them used on ebay form 45.00 to 110.00 good lens for the money. As for a flash I would say yes get a flash if this is an indoor thing the stock inside flash maybe a little under for what you need. So I would say look on ebay find a nice used EOS flash. Next I would say use a tripod if the inside is low light your camera will need one rember any thing under 1/30 of sec. can't be hand shot and if you dont have a good hand I would say dont hand shoot any thing under 1/60 of a sec.

2 more things I would get a hand meter and tripple check every thing ! Next I would say dont use any thing under 800 speed film. If it's not real low light you could maybe pull of 400 speed film but I would use 800 if I was you.

If you do go for a Canon 50mm dont get that 1.8 crap push for the 50mm 1.4 it's a better lens for the money

I shot weddings, a lot. I hate them. And the don't shoot family rule, is a good one. If you must and you are on a budget, get a flash with an attachable soft box (they velcro on the flash unit), a 50 f/big as you can afford and a 85/105 f/max, a lot of film and shoot, a lot. Read a book and pick up hints about the traditional shots, then also get a lot of candid expressions of the wedding party. Go to a few wedding web sites and look at others work and get an idea of what to shoot. Go to the church/hall a few days early and take a few test shots, and meter everything. Get a feel for the film speed you need. Use as slow a film speed you can get away with and still keep your shutter above 1/60 without the flash. Also, if you have a flash that is TTL, adjust it to minus .3 to .5 stops to take a little of the harshness away from the faces and jewelry. And did I say shoot A LOT. When you have them processed, pick out your best 20% and hide the rest. Only show your best work and don't show anybody the others. Have about 100-150 of your best and let them pick out what they want to enlarge. Do it right and you will look like a super-star. If you like shooting this, you might just find your calling!

I agree with jtsuedle.... I too have shot hundred of weddings (also in Indiana, JT) and each wedding is different. Jt gave you good advice. Make sure you have at a bare minimum -
camera body (be sure to bring a backup if you can)
Film (bring ALOT more than you "plan" on shooting)
Tripod
Batteries (bring extras for every piece of equipment)
Flash (make sure it's strong enough and has enough field of coverage)
Flash bracket (get the flash away from the camera to eliminate red eye)

There's alot more that you "should" bring, but you definitely need this stuff at a minimum....

good luck...

My sister and her boyfriend are layed back. But at the same time they trust me so I dont want to screw this thing up. Can you tell me of any good spots I could practice for the wedding? I have till June and I want to get this right. I almost think I should just go digital so I can see if I got the shot or not?

Jstuedlu can you point me in the direction of a good attachable soft box?

Sure, mine are made by Photoflex. They inflate, you just blow it up and stick it to the flash head. They do a good job of defusing the flash, I think mine cost me around $18.00 ea. As far as a place to practice, ask a couple you know are getting married if you can shoot there rehearsal. Most would be glad to let you and most ministers understand you need to start somewhere. If you can, talk to the minister well in advance and ask him to tell you some of the things he sees to try and avoid, like mother-in-laws! Ask him/her (didn't want to sound sexist) what the traditional shots or the most unique shots they had seen in a wedding were/are. Again, good luck!

You've already gotten some great advice! I think you will enjoy the 50mm, it's one of my favorite lenses for weddings. Definitely find a back up body to use, even if it's just for the day. If you decide to stay film bring more than you expect to use and bring a ton of extra batteries.

As for the other parts of the wedding, shooting for a family member isn't always bad. The first weddings I did were receptions for friends and family. Make sure you know what style they are looking for (posed, candid, etc) and make a list of their must have shots to use as a reference for the day. Also, do an engagement session with them to practice your skills and see how they photograph. I've learned a lot about my couples during this time. For example, a bride might bite her lip when nervous, or the groom might nearly close his eyes when he smiles. Knowing this beforehand will lead to better results at the wedding.

Also, check with the location where the ceremony will be, if it's in a church or other place or worship there are often guidelines about the use of flash (many won't allow it) and where you can stand during the ceremony. Make a visit to both the ceremony location and the reception location and take some test shots.

As for film vs. digital...that's your call. However, make sure that you are comfortable with whatever camera that you choose.

My standard gear for weddings includes the following (but remember that I do quite a few weddings a year, so not all of this is needed)
-Canon 10D
-Nikon D70
-50mm
-100mm macro
-20mm
-70-200 f2.8 IS
-4 sets of rechargable batteries + quick charger
-3 extra batteries for each camera + charger
-Softbox for flash
-Quantum flash + bracket

Also, come check out the Portrait/Wedding section in the galleries, you'll see examples of work and some good tips as well.

Good luck, have fun and post photos when you can!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back