I need a way to trigger my new 430ex

Phazan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Quick questions..

I want a cheap way to trigger an off camera flash. (430 ex) I want to experiment doing loooots of different off camera stuff. I want something pretty cheap to trigger it, but I don't want cheap stuff that isn't reliable (The reason I'm buying a Canon flash, over an old vivitar). Am I better off with a chord, or one of those optical things? I've already got rid of the radio idea, because I know I can't get a good one cheaply. I've seen lots of different types of optical triggers, but I don't really know what to look for. Are there any "industry standard" optical triggers? And where do I plug them in??

Thanks for any help

Oh, buy the 580 II :thumbup:

But seriously

If your going to be doing studio stuff you should be able to use just pc cords, but im guessing your not.

I suggest getting "ebay" triggers, just not on ebay. Get the V2's from gadget infinity, they work far better then most rip-offs and then original ones (pt-04's i think)

I use the V2s and have never had a mis fire, they work great. Ive used them up to like 150 feet and had no problems.

http://www.gadgetinfinity.com/product.php?productid=16766&cat=0&page=

And you know you can always buy more receivers and know theres not going to be a compatability problem :thumbup:

Im my kit i have 1 transmitter, 3 receivers, sb-28, sb-600, 2 8' flash stands with umbrellas and brackets

You can go with regular pc sync cables, but you will need a pc port to hot shoe adapter, because the 430 does not have a sync port.

Personally I'm going to give the V2s radio triggers a shot, I have heard only good things about this version, I think that they have been around long enough to have the kinks worked out. Once you start adding up the prices for PC connectors, cables and adapters, you end up spending just as much money an realize that your camera is caught in a spiderweb of cables and flashes.

If this is mostly for fun, try Gadget Infinity's radio triggers, but if you really need reliability always have a backup, whether its another set of radio triggers or a box full of cables.

I don't really know about the V2s. I usually like to get something I know will work and will last me a long time..

But I'm looking into the wireless ones now. To use a Pocket Wizard, do I have to buy two? (One to hook up to the flash, and one to hook up to the camera) Please someone explain how these work.

I have a V2 cactus trigger and it doesn't work well with my 430EX. I don't know about newer versions though. I've got an old Braun flash that I use with the trigger when I need to.

To use a Pocket Wizard, do I have to buy two? (One to hook up to the flash, and one to hook up to the camera) Please someone explain how these work.
Yes, you would need two Pocket Wizard units. This does make them rather expensive.

The most common PW is the Transceiver unit. They can be used interchangeably as senders or receivers.

Also, have a look at Elinchrom Skyports. I think you can get a set for around $180.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back