I Need help, how come.....

STINKY PICTURES

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey I know you have the answer to this and I need help. How come, when I crop my pics they look great in the folder but when I upload them to the internet they look like crap?

Heres an example... I took this picture with 100 ISO, I used my Canon eos 40D camera on a tripod WITH shutter release so no camera shake. I used my Canon 50mm 1.8 lens and the highest possible setting for quality that my camera has. (Not shot in raw)

I use Picture It for my cropping PLUS I use Elements. They both give me great cropped pics in my folder on my computer. I have no complaints but as soon as I UPload bang they look like crap. I use 2 DIFFERENT PLACES to upload and i get the same results. I use Robs Help EAPH and Photobucket.

The worse shots for my business are when i do a face shot and it looks all muddy and weird. Is there a great place to upload to that will give me magazine quality pictures. I don`t shot in raw, these are for EBAY and I need a place that will give me the pics with an http code. I need to get this fixed if possible its been going on for years. I thought with my new camera and lens it would stop. But no.

These feet are all even and smooth in color in person and so is the picture in my folder on my computer. but see how distorted they are now. I even had them facing the large open picture window so the light was even. It makes no difference. I need to get rid of that color distortion. I have it with all of my shots to SOME DEGREE. You can even see that the legs have rings like the inside of a tree and all i did was crop, no color change or anything.

So in a nut shell, i`ve had this with 2 different cameras, i crop with 2 different programs, and I upload at 2 different places. Still I can`t get rid of it.
H E L P!

IMG1044.JPG

I must say firstly that it's a pity you didn't include a photograph of something with which people are likely to be familiar as it's virtually impossible to judge what this is supposed to look like. (I'm assuming it isn't a person but a doll!)

Let's get a few things out of the way to start with.

If it look OK on your monitor at home.

1) It isn't your camera
2) It isn't the program you use to crop.
3) It isn't that you don't shoot in raw.

The most likely explanation is that you are uploading to a free site that is applying aggressive compression to save space.

As you are a subscriber, why not upload it here and see how it looks?

A comparison between a site that does not tamper with your file (TPF) and another that may do would make it easier to come up with a more authoritative answer.

You said that you are cropping...but are you resizing and compressing your image before you upload it?

What is your workflow?

Also, what color space are you shooting/saving in? You should probably be using sRGB and not Adobe RGB.

I think Moglex has probably hit the nail on the head; if you're doing photographs for a business, don't use one of the free on-line storage sites. They all do nasty things in varying degrees to your images. Spend $5-10 a month and get your own webspace and set your own rules. I'll be your pictures look fine after that!

Whats wrong with that picture? Not seeing it.

This picture has been resized only, not cropped. I use the sRGB setting on my camera.

I guess I should have said Resize not crop, but even if I crop and resize I get this problem.

I don`t use a free place for my pics, i ONLY tried photobucket to see if the problem was there too....
I usually use EPAH, I pay for that, its not free, cheap but not free. $8.00 a month. Hey I`m willing to learn here, send me where I need to go, PLEASE.

If I loaded it here without resizing it would be so big. I mean super big.

Mike what does work flow mean?

You said that you are cropping...but are you resizing and compressing your image before you upload it?

What is your workflow?

Also, what color space are you shooting/saving in? You should probably be using sRGB and not Adobe RGB.

What is EPAH and what are you using it to do?

It would probably help if you took us through your work flow, step by step.

For example, you off load the camera/card to your computer...then what?

Also, I'm not really seeing any problems with the image you posted. If the color is inaccurate, I guess you would know...but it's not looking bad to me.

EAPH is the picture hosting site I pay to upload my pics too. I get the https and then put together my ebay template with the pics.

http://www.eaph.com/eaphfeatures.html

I shoot at the largest setting with 100 ISO on a tripod and a wired camera remote shutter release.

I upload to my computer. I resize the pics..... SOMETIMES I crop too, but they MUST all be resized. I`ve even shot them at a smaller size, but the quality was not good and I still got those swirls in the pics. Look close at the leg you can see the swirls. Its on the bottom of the feet too but you have to look close, the legs show it better.

After resize i put my logo name on the pics. Then I upload them to EAPH and as I put them in my ebay template I can see they look like crap when I preview them at EAPH.

even a cropped pic from my computer folder put on an email, not as an attachment, but on the actual body of the email I will see these same degrading swirls.

What are you resizing them to? Are you also saving them with some JPEG compression (setting the quality level)?

I'm not seeing the swirls...is it possible that your monitor is set to (or maybe not capable of) display less colors?

Look close at the leg you can see the swirls.

Thats the monitor. Has nothing to do with the photo. Take a picture of the sky, and upload it, you will see it do that as well on that picture.

If I were at home on a better monitor, I wouldn't see it either.

Does the image of which you complain look something like this?

IMAGE REMOVED AS IT WAS OBVIOUSLY COPYRIGHT OP!

Or have the swirl patterns changed subtley or not so subtley?

To eliminate the monitor as the problem, can you at any stage see the picture without the swirls?

If you cannot, and you are in windows, go to the settings dialog (right click on desktop, click 'properties', select 'settings' tab.

Does this tell you your in in 16bit colour mode?

(i.e. under 'Colour Quality' it would say: 'Medium (16 bit)).

If so then your display card (not monitor per se) is set to 16 bit colour and you will tend to see low grade posterisation effects.

The good news is that most others won't.

It would be puzzling though if that were the case because you should have become completely inured to seeing those effects.

The swirls and patterns have changed a lot and are worse, and now there is some strange color going on too. Am I the only person seeing these patterns? Is this like Voodoo? Just me seeing things?

I save them as JPEG. When in Elements I save on the highest setting for quality, I believe its #12.

Does the image of which you complain look something like this?

tmp.jpg

Or have the swirl patterns changed subtley or not so subtley?

The pictures looks great until I upload to the internet. Or put in an email, like copy and paste but its resized. Then it looks like this too. Not clean and crisp. My monitor is pretty new, about a year old, its a Dell. Not saying that means anything. Just trying to give all info here. Its a higher end type, the thin kind, with flat screen and it has outlets on the side for ps2 cables.etc.

I just checked my monitor is set at 16 bits. Should I change it to 32 bits? maybe get a better place to upload my pics? some place with no compression?

To eliminate the monitor as the problem, can you at any stage see the picture without the swirls?

If you cannot, and you are in windows, go to the settings dialog (right click on desktop, click 'properties', select 'settings' tab.

Does this tell you your in in 16bit colour mode?

(i.e. under 'Colour Quality' it would say: 'Medium (16 bit)).

If so then your display card (not monitor per se) is set to 16 bit colour and you will tend to see low grade posterisation effects.

The good news is that most others won't.

It would be puzzling though if that were the case because you should have become completely inured to seeing those effects.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back