I need help with my idea

thisisdanni

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm new to photography this year and and i'm in the beginning stages of my first project for class.
For my theme i'd like to do something along the lines of the contrast between man and nature or man taking over nature, but i'm finding it hard to come up with ideas for the actual photos, especially ones that flow nicely when presented on a board.
any ideas?

My idea is that you list the contrasts you can think of and then perhaps we can help you with pictures.

That way it doesn't seem like we are doing your homework for you.

hmmm....

Any logging camps nearby?

I'm thinking of a man using a brush hog to clear an overgrown field. Seems contrived (no more so than some of my own stuff), but might be a good starting point.

Wow. Great theme!!!
I could think of a million things. But it depends where you live. Around here it's quite evident that man has taken over everything. Everywhere you look there's a drilling rig or something oil field related.
I've sorta been planning a person project kind of along the same lines.

As Traveler said though, think of ideas or points you'd like to get across and then we can brainstorm from there.

My idea is that you list the contrasts you can think of and then perhaps we can help you with pictures.

I agree. Also, if you come up with a contrast that is particularly resonant to you, you will be better able to make it resonate with a viewer. It's such a broad theme that a group of a hundred people could each come up with something different. You have to find the element that means the most to you. From there, ideas for images might just come naturally.

I agree. Also, if you come up with a contrast that is particularly resonant to you, you will be better able to make it resonate with a viewer. It's such a broad theme that a group of a hundred people could each come up with something different. You have to find the element that means the most to you. From there, ideas for images might just come naturally.

Yeah, i was finding it difficult to come up with something more specific but also had individual photo ideas but together they didn't seem as though they would fit together and flow nicely.
But i think i may have settled on something i can work with. i'm thinking of focusing on the structured and enclosed type idea of man in the office and the freedom and calmness of nature and bringing the two together for an 'outdoor office place' type scenario.
i live by a park and was thinking i could get afew people to dress in suits as office workers and get some props like a desk, computer chair, laptop and possibly a water cooler (or some sort of alternative) and create a more abstract approach to the contrast between man and nature.
sound like it could work?

thanks heaps for the replies and suggestions guys, much appreciated.

So you're from New Zealand huh? Well what about going along the beaches and photographing the trash and litter that people leave along the beaches. You know - they go to beaches to enjoy nature and relaxation and once theyre done they leave their trash just laying around... well i saw a book on this (i forgot the photographer's name) and he approached it in such a way - it was absolutely beautiful. I mean he made something that's "ugly" in context but approached it in a beautiful way and even suggested that the trash was now part of nature - in all its beauty

i live by a park and was thinking i could get afew people to dress in suits as office workers and get some props like a desk, computer chair, laptop and possibly a water cooler (or some sort of alternative) and create a more abstract approach to the contrast between man and nature.
sound like it could work?

This is a great idea!!! When I see it in my head your message comes across very clear.

Well what about going along the beaches and photographing the trash and litter that people leave along the beaches. You know - they go to beaches to enjoy nature and relaxation and once theyre done they leave their trash just laying around

This is a huge pet peeve of mine. I hate that people do that!!! (I'm a very proud tree hugger).
I started a project about a year or two ago about things out of their 'element'. Around here you have to pay to take things to do the dump so instead people just throw dishwashers and tv's in the ditch on country roads.

Around here you have to pay to take things to do the dump so instead people just throw dishwashers and tv's in the ditch on country roads.

They do that where I live too, except they're not dumping trash, exactly. It's always appliances, or even old junk cars. Things rust very quickly here too, because of the weather, so it soon gets that "taken back to nature" look. I've always thought that abandoned things made of metal, glass, or wood looked surreal and beautiful in their own way, while plastic and paper just looks like trash. I realize it's not logical, and I personally don't dump, but I don't mind many of the things I find in the woods. On the side of the road, though, out in everyone's view, is another matter entirely.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back