I Need Help!!

Luckimom3

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am new to photography and was wondering if someone could explain the difference between all the D3000,3300,3400,3500 cameras and the D5000,5300,5600 cameras.

I thought the lower the number the older the camera was, but was looking at the D3500 release date and the D5600 release date

Please help. Should I get the D5600 or the newer D3500? I thought the 5600 was newer and offers more.

They are two different lines. The 3xxx series is entry level. The 5xxx series has a few more features. To see what the differences are, compare the specs on the specific two you are interested in.

I googled it for you. I’m sure there are several similar comparisons online. This was the first one to come up. https://cameradecision.com/compare/Nikon-D3500-vs-Nikon-D5600

Nikon D3500 Key Specs
  • Announcement Date: 2018-08-29
  • 24MP - APS-C CMOS Sensor
  • No Anti-aliasing (AA) filter
  • ISO 100 - 25600
  • Nikon F Mount
  • 3" Fixed Type Screen
  • Optical (pentamirror) viewfinder
  • 5.0 fps continuous shooting
  • 1920 x 1080 video resolution
  • 365g. 124 x 97 x 70 mm
  • Replaced Nikon D3400 Compare
Nikon D5600 Key Specs
  • Announcement Date: 2016-11-10
  • ISO 100 - 25600
  • Nikon F Mount
  • 3.2" Fully Articulated Screen
  • Built-in Wireless
  • 465g. 124 x 97 x 70 mm
  • Replaced Nikon D5500 Compare
Reasons to choose Nikon D3500 over Nikon D5600
2 advantages
battery.png
Battery Life 1550 shotsvs820 shots 730 more frames with a single charge
weight4.png
Weight 365 gvs465 g 100 g lighter
Reasons to choose Nikon D5600 over Nikon D3500
11 advantages
wireless.png
Wireless Connection Built-InvsNo Better connectivity
rotate.png
Articulating Screen YesvsNo Flexible shooting positions
finger.png
Touch Screen YesvsNo Easy control of camera functions
viewfinder.png
Number of Focus Points 39vs11 28 more focus points
size.png
LCD Screen Size 3.2"vs3" 0.2 inches larger display
macro.png
LCD Screen Resolution 1.037k dotsvs921k dots 12% higher resolution screen
microphone.png
Microphone Port YesvsNo High quality audio recording option
landscape.png
Timelapse Recording YesvsNo creative shooting
flash.png
Flash Coverage 12.0mvs7.0m 5m longer range
exposure.png
AE Bracketing YesvsNo Useful for tough lighting conditions and HDR
wireless.png
NFC Connection YesvsNo Easy wireless connectivity with compatible devices

D5600 has a lot of good features...flippy screen, touch screen, microphone port, more powerful flash,nfc connection built in , Etc

One thing that is not typically mentioned in the comparisons is the menu vs hard button controls. The higher up you go in camera series, the more external controls you usually find. When I started out I didn’t think this was important but having to stop what you’re doing and go into the menu to change settings gets old really fast. Something to consider.

Please help. Should I get the D5600 or the newer D3500? I thought the 5600 was newer and offers more.
Welcome!

Sharon (Square Peg, above) posted an excellent comparison between the two lines. My first DSLR was a D5000, and I used the articulating screen, but not all the time. It comes in handy sometimes. In those early days we weren't concerned with built-in Wi-Fi, but if you want that feature, it is now available.

The D5000 was a good camera to start with, (it's an entry level camera, like the D3xxx series) but as Derrel has pointed out, you might someday want to move up a level, I did. This technology moves pretty fast, so you should be aware that your own enthusiasm will factor in.

Let us know where you are going with this quest.

They are two different lines. The 3xxx series is entry level. The 5xxx series has a few more features. To see what the differences are, compare the specs on the specific two you are interested in.

I googled it for you. I’m sure there are several similar comparisons online. This was the first one to come up. Nikon D3500 vs Nikon D5600 Detailed Comparison
https://cameradecision.com/compare/Nikon-D3500-vs-Nikon-D5600
Nikon D3500 Key Specs
  • Announcement Date: 2018-08-29
  • ISO 100 - 25600
  • Nikon F Mount
  • 3" Fixed Type Screen
  • 365g. 124 x 97 x 70 mm
  • Replaced Nikon D3400 Compare
Nikon D5600 Key Specs
  • Announcement Date: 2016-11-10
  • ISO 100 - 25600
  • Nikon F Mount
  • 3.2" Fully Articulated Screen
  • Built-in Wireless
  • 465g. 124 x 97 x 70 mm
  • Replaced Nikon D5500 Compare
Reasons to choose Nikon D3500 over Nikon D5600
2 advantages
battery.png
Battery Life 1550 shotsvs820 shots 730 more frames with a single charge
weight4.png
Weight 365 gvs465 g 100 g lighter
Reasons to choose Nikon D5600 over Nikon D3500
11 advantages
wireless.png
Wireless Connection Built-InvsNo Better connectivity
rotate.png
Articulating Screen YesvsNo Flexible shooting positions
finger.png
Touch Screen YesvsNo Easy control of camera functions
viewfinder.png
Number of Focus Points 39vs11 28 more focus points
size.png
LCD Screen Size 3.2"vs3" 0.2 inches larger display
macro.png
LCD Screen Resolution 1.037k dotsvs921k dots 12% higher resolution screen
microphone.png
Microphone Port YesvsNo High quality audio recording option
landscape.png
Timelapse Recording YesvsNo creative shooting
flash.png
Flash Coverage 12.0mvs7.0m 5m longer range
exposure.png
AE Bracketing YesvsNo Useful for tough lighting conditions and HDR
wireless.png
NFC Connection YesvsNo Easy wireless connectivity with compatible devices

Thank you so much for helping me with this. I have researched and researched and frankly just thought I would get somebodys opinion. I think I'm going to buy the 5600, because I only want something to take pictures of the kids, my pets and things like that. I will probably learn how to use this one, then later go with a more advanced camera. This one should do what I need it for. Thanks again for taking the time to help me.

Thank you so much for helping me with this. I have researched and researched and frankly just thought I would get somebodys opinion. I think I'm going to buy the 5600, because I only want something to take pictures of the kids, my pets and things like that. I will probably learn how to use this one, then later go with a more advanced camera. This one should do what I need it for. Thanks again for taking the time to help me.

Sounds like a good plan. I highly recommend looking at used/refurbished from a reputable online seller like Adorama, B&H or Cameta Camera.

It looks like it's a reasonably close competitor to what I've bought from Canon, with a lot of similar strengths. Once you've grown acquainted with it you can decide if you want to purchase any additional lenses, and for what reasons. In my case buying my 77D for pictures of my family, I bought "faster" lenses that have larger apertures to let-in more light for quicker shutter speeds in the dark, and I bought wider-angle lenses for better indoor shots of the family group.

I couldn't recommend specific Nikon lenses (no experience) but I'm sure others would be able to make recommendations for good, reasonably priced lenses depending on what you'd like better than the kit lens offers.

The Nikon 18-140 will cover almost all your general purpose needs; the " standard" kit zoom is the 18-55mm, but with that lens Whenever you need a telephoto, you have to change lenses. With the 18-140, You have a moderate wide-angle lens To a medium telephoto, all-in-one moderate weight zoom lens.

The AF-S G70-300 mm AF-P VR would be a nice lens for longer-distance work

Most reactions

New Topics

Back