I need some accessories and some help...

Oh my, more stuff to contemplate!
Thank you all for continued advice.
Am going to order my stuff this week. I have been attending to family issues. Haven't even picked up the camera since December!

Nancy

The battery for my D7200 will last all weekend + Monday

if you're shooting with LiveView (like a lot of people do and like generally you do while using tripod) your battery will be consumed in couple of hours .. If I go out to the great outdoors and shoot there all the day long, I need *always* 3 batteries, 4th in my bag is spare .. I have only original Nikon batteries ..

You and I live where people use their cameras different, and apparently we use our cameras differently.

I take odds with the statement that "a lot of people use LiveView."
While some people will use LiveView on a dSLR, I would NOT say a LOT of people do.
I have watched many parents taking pics of their kids at sporting events, and the vast majority will use the viewfinder, not the rear screen and LiveView, to shoot.
The only ones that I saw using LiveView on their dSLR were those that were shooting video.

I have never used LiveView when using my dSLR on a tripod, I have always used the viewfinder.

That you use your camera different than I do is just different. So, as I said:
You have to determine what the battery run time is for your camera/battery combination.​

I take odds with the statement that "a lot of people use LiveView."

Agreed. I used it when there is an unusual shooting position (the flip screen is part of the reason I got the 6D Mark II and not the 5D Mark IV) and for astrophotography. But for the vast majority of shots it is the viewfinder. Another reason is stability. Holding the camera forward so as to see live view in inherently less stable.

I would like to second the suggestion of the Really Right Stuff (RRS) tripod and head, if needed. I use a RRS tripod, ball head BH-55, and monopod, amongst all the other stuff I GASed out on. Their tripods are carbon fiber, sturdy, and high quality. They are pricey for sure, but will be the last tripod you will need to purchase. Otherwise, Gitzo is a staple for outdoors, more affordable, carbon fiber and great.

Last edited:
I would like to second the suggestion of the Really Right Stuff (RRS) tripod and head, if needed.

Thank you for the suggestion but you realize you are contributing to my gear acquisition syndrome. I have an excellent vintage Manfroto tripod with a Bogen mount - built like tanks but also as heavy as a tank. The RRS sounds like a great replacement. What to do...hmmmm?

I would like to second the suggestion of the Really Right Stuff (RRS) tripod and head, if needed.

Thank you for the suggestion but you realize you are contributing to my gear acquisition syndrome. I have an excellent vintage Manfroto tripod with a Bogen mount - built like tanks but also as heavy as a tank. The RRS sounds like a great replacement. What to do...hmmmm?

Keep the Bogen for as long as you can, I really hate that I used mine to death. sigh.

Oops, sorry. I just came off a binge myself, and far be it from me to be an enabler :allteeth:. If you have a vintage Manfrotto tripod with a Bogen mount, keep it and use it. They are great and worth the effort.

I've found that the process of removing a card and inserting it in a computer is a high risk procedure. Put it in the camera, and if you can, leave it.

that's interesting ... I have a computers with Linux and Mac OS and Nikon and Fujifilm cameras and never experienced issues when removing card from camera, inserting that into computer (directly to slot or via usb adapteur to macbook) and then back again to camera ... just in short never ... maybe I am lucky ...

that aint windows..

trust me, there is more than simple color gambut reasons for photographers using Macs.
As for computer corruptions, it is still a somewhat common occurrence on Windows systems and given MS's propensity to push out bad updates lately, cards and files are getting blown out, including the hard drive wipes of some of the MSW updates.
If your serious about keeping photos uncorrupted, stay with the Macs.

Oops, sorry. I just came off a binge myself, and far be it from me to be an enabler :allteeth:. If you have a vintage Manfrotto tripod with a Bogen mount, keep it and use it. They are great and worth the effort.

Although the Bogen/Manfrotto head and plate options may seem good, they do not compare with RRS. The main culprit is the plate to camera interface which has a rubber or cork gasket to prevent marring the camera base plate. It is this gasket that promotes vibration and does not prevent twisting under load. An RRS camera plate is CNC milled to fit perfectly metal to metal to your camera and eliminates any movement or twisting. You also do not need to over tighten the tripod socket since the plate will not spin on the camera. Additionally, depending on the RRS camera plate, you get the option of an L-bracket which permits horizontal to vertical transitions without adjusting the tripod head with the two Arca Swiss mounting dovetails.

I switched from Manfrotto heads and plates to Arca Swiss designs over 35 years ago, it’s just a superior system.

JB,
I agree with you whole heartedly. When I purchased mine, I researched several other companies, and chose RRS. I chose the TVC-L34 tripod and the BH-55 ball head. My Canon 5D3 Mk. IIIs have the L brackets for them as well. Really Right Stuff's precision in their CNC milling is exacting. I am glad I switched to Arca Swiss mounting designs. I find a lot more flexibility with Arca Swiss style products that some of the others.

I bit the bullet and got a medium CF tripod.
I have two (or is it three) Bogen AL tripods.
  • I got a heavy duty one, and thought that was the only tripod I needed. Until I carried it around a park. UGH toooo heavy. This may similar to your "tank." I immediately started looking for a lighter tripod. I now use it at home or within a SHORT distance of the car.
    This is the only tripod that I will put my 4x5 monorail on.
  • Then I got a medium one (I think it is a 3001), that I could carry. Not as sturdy as the big Bogen, but it was much easier to carry, so it got used more. But it got COLD when the sun went down, so rather uncomfortable to handle for night shooting.
    But even the medium tripod was too big to fit in my suitcase.
Then I got a Velbon CF tripod. This has mostly replaced the medium tripod.
Not the best CF tripod, but good enough for me. At the time, it was what I could afford. I could not afford a CF Gitzo.

Hello AC,

I think it is great that you found a medium weight CF tripod that will work well for you. That it is good for you is what really matters.

In the spirit of honesty and transparency to you and all who may see this post, I was in a unique position to be able to make the purchases for my primary, professional photography gear I purchased. I was able to enroll in a Veterans program that would pay for 12 months of schooling towards a degree or trade. So, I went to college in 2012-2015 in order to receive two associate degrees in photography and digital imaging technology, which I did. I used a lot of student loan money, and came into a reasonable inheritance that allowed me the ability to purchase the kit that I have. From cameras to studio lighting and grip equipment, and all things in-between. I have been very lucky, fortunate and blessed to have what I've got. I don't take that for granted for one moment. If I didn't have those events happen, it is safe to say I wouldn't have anywhere near what I have.

Secondarily, one of my classmates and friend I met in college is a year younger than I am and had very deep pockets. We had a kind of perverse, silent competition for who could get the best stuff and more of it. I am happy to say he won when, I realized I didn't want to play that game anymore. Sadly, when his mother passed away, his inheritance made him a millionaire. He will still flaunt the latest and greatest acquisitions at me from time to time, and I am happy for him. I just stay in my lane now.

I did go all out on what I felt was crucial to me and was more or less a one time purchase, or would last a very long time; my tripod set up, "the tank" I like that name for it, an excellent light meter, high quality lenses, filters, and camera bags.

In the end, I was very lucky and don't take it for granted in the least. I am not a snob about what I have,, and encourage people to be happy with their choices in their photographic endeavors. All the greatest equipment and kit does not matter at all. What does matter, is that photographers find joy and happiness in their photography.

Hello AC,

I think it is great that you found a medium weight CF tripod that will work well for you. That it is good for you is what really matters.

In the spirit of honesty and transparency to you and all who may see this post, I was in a unique position to be able to make the purchases for my primary, professional photography gear I purchased. I was able to enroll in a Veterans program that would pay for 12 months of schooling towards a degree or trade. So, I went to college in 2012-2015 in order to receive two associate degrees in photography and digital imaging technology, which I did. I used a lot of student loan money, and came into a reasonable inheritance that allowed me the ability to purchase the kit that I have. From cameras to studio lighting and grip equipment, and all things in-between. I have been very lucky, fortunate and blessed to have what I've got. I don't take that for granted for one moment. If I didn't have those events happen, it is safe to say I wouldn't have anywhere near what I have.

Secondarily, one of my classmates and friend I met in college is a year younger than I am and had very deep pockets. We had a kind of perverse, silent competition for who could get the best stuff and more of it. I am happy to say he won when, I realized I didn't want to play that game anymore. Sadly, when his mother passed away, his inheritance made him a millionaire. He will still flaunt the latest and greatest acquisitions at me from time to time, and I am happy for him. I just stay in my lane now.

I did go all out on what I felt was crucial to me and was more or less a one time purchase, or would last a very long time; my tripod set up, "the tank" I like that name for it, an excellent light meter, high quality lenses, filters, and camera bags.

In the end, I was very lucky and don't take it for granted in the least. I am not a snob about what I have,, and encourage people to be happy with their choices in their photographic endeavors. All the greatest equipment and kit does not matter at all. What does matter, is that photographers find joy and happiness in their photography.

Hello Donald, please don't take it wrong or personal but do please something with your signature .. it's awful and annoying to have it lengthy like this spanned on multiple lines with empty lines ... thank you in forward !!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back