I need some advice on rates

Not the Sun

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
hello everyone.
I needed some opinions on what to charge for some jobs that I was asked to give a quote on. I really couldn't even begin to figure out what is the right thing to charge. I don't want to go too high or too low obviously. They wanted to know day and half day rates for several jobs.
-One job would be 23 executive headshots.
-Another job would be 10 executive headshots as well as 10 different location shots.
-Another would be candid shots walking around a law office
-And lastly one would be a 2 hour event that I would walk around taking photos of.

They want everything delivered to them on a cd. They have several more jobs that we discussed but these are the ones coming up.
If anyone can help that would be great! Any questions or need more info, let me know. Thank you!!

Do you have your own studio? LIghting setups and so on? That kind of work seems like you would need a studio to work in.

The candids in the office woudl probably be really tricky if you don't have off camera flash and really know what your doing. Its hard to shoot w/that kind of lighting and get really great shots.

Do you have a website to get an idea of the kind of work you can do? Maybe get a better idea of how much you can charge...

Do you have your own studio? LIghting setups and so on? That kind of work seems like you would need a studio to work in.

The candids in the office woudl probably be really tricky if you don't have off camera flash and really know what your doing. Its hard to shoot w/that kind of lighting and get really great shots.

Do you have a website to get an idea of the kind of work you can do? Maybe get a better idea of how much you can charge...
They want everything done in the offices. I don't have lighting equipment. I will need to rent it.
I need to invest in a good off camera flash, it was something that I am looking into.
I don't have a website up yet. I can do a full range of work. I have shot so many things from concerts to still life.

Check out the Stobist blog if you haven't already (the Lighting 101/102 sections are a good place to start).

I just started reading it and your assignments sound perfect for the material covered. It'll get you started relatively inexpensively too.

EDIT:
8 years... I'm guessing you know a thing or two about lighting, but it's still worth a look for ideas for on location stuff.

Check out the Stobist blog if you haven't already (the Lighting 101/102 sections are a good place to start).

I just started reading it and your assignments sound perfect for the material covered. It'll get you started relatively inexpensively too.

EDIT:
8 years... I'm guessing you know a thing or two about lighting, but it's still worth a look for ideas for on location stuff.
Thank you. I will definitely check that out. There is always more to learn.

What are these shots being used for exactly and how long will they be using them? Will you be using an assistant? Renting a generator? Building a set? How much gear will you be using? What will be your post processing time? Are these cookie cutter shots or are they looking for real photographs?

The point is to talk with client. Find out what they are exactly looking for. Then sit down and figure out how to provide the photos at a nice profit for your self. I can not provide a price qoute for you. I know nothing of the situation.

Love & Bass

Thats a pretty tall order, so don't go too cheap. Just think of what people charge for shooting headshots for one person, granted you consider a "bulk" discount of sorts. The first 23; All at the same location? Set up your lighting/backdrop, other crap in an office and have people come in one at a time? The 10 location shoots sounds like much more work, For the first 23 you just have to setup and tear down once, but the next one you have to do it 10 times for 10 people, so don't neglect to charge for that extra work.

If it were me I would use this opportunity to make at least enough to buy my strobes and other gear rather than renting, you'll probably need them often in the future so might as well own them.

Its really hard to put an overall price tag on this, but you don't want to undercut other photographers by a whole lot, and don't sell yourself short either.

Do you know other pros in you area? I know that they are technically your competition, but if you're friends maybe they could offer you some advice on pricing.

Thats a pretty tall order, so don't go too cheap. Just think of what people charge for shooting headshots for one person, granted you consider a "bulk" discount of sorts. The first 23; All at the same location? Set up your lighting/backdrop, other crap in an office and have people come in one at a time? The 10 location shoots sounds like much more work, For the first 23 you just have to setup and tear down once, but the next one you have to do it 10 times for 10 people, so don't neglect to charge for that extra work.

If it were me I would use this opportunity to make at least enough to buy my strobes and other gear rather than renting, you'll probably need them often in the future so might as well own them.

Its really hard to put an overall price tag on this, but you don't want to undercut other photographers by a whole lot, and don't sell yourself short either.

Do you know other pros in you area? I know that they are technically your competition, but if you're friends maybe they could offer you some advice on pricing.
They will be used on the corporate website and will also probably be used for brochures and other collateral materials.

Do you know a good/ decently priced brand of strobes to buy?

I don't know any other pros in the area, I just moved here not that long ago.

Alien Bees. They are reasonably priced and I have only heard good things about them. I have not used them but a few people here including Big Mike have them and seem to think they're pretty good. Maybe shoot Big Mike a PM about the bees, or he or another Bee owner might just chime in here.

Wow just noticed your in NY, stuff's not cheap there the cost of living difference is huge between St.Louis(me) and NY. I can't really give any pricing advice, as I just shoot mostly as a hobby, but I think this job needs a pretty big price tag.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back