I NEED TO VENT!!!!

jocose

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.musingsofjocose.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
OK, so there's this chick in my office who's about to pop. OK, so there's this dude in my office who's wife is about to pop.

Who cares?

I mean, mozal tov for them...they are about to have kids, and mozal tov for them that they got laid in the past 10 months. But if they want to go and contribute to the overpopulation of the world, let them go...why do I need to be involved?

Apparently, even though I don't particularily like either of them, and even though I really don't talk to them, I am supposed to contribute money to their shower???? And why is it assumed that I have the money in my pocket ready to be doled out to whomever decides to come along into my cube and ask for money? My secretary popped her head into my office and said, "So we're collecting for S___'s shower." I just looked blankly at her and said, "OK." That always confuses people. After stuttering a bit, she said, "well did you want to contribute?" To which I replied, "umm, I guess so, sure." Again, she stutters, and says something dumb like, "well..." and I say, "Oh, I don't have any money now" (which is sadly true--I'm deep in the red at the moment). So she says to me "Oh, well what about Monday?"

See, this is one of those no win situations. I have my sister's wedding next week, and I'd much rather spend my money on her wedding. I don't particularily like either of the people at work, but of course I HAVE to pitch in. If I don't, I look like dick.

Man, I hate working....

Thank you for letting me vent, and I now return you to your regularily scheduled off-topics threads.

Dude, I just let people think what they want to think. It's not like giving them money will change thier opinion... ;)

That sucks.

Quit your whining.

BAHAHAHAHA!

Just say no. I know it sounds hard but it's not. Anyone who thinks you are a dick because you didn't give money to people you don't like is a fool.

It goes along eith the whole gvining a million presents to everyone and spending lots of money.

I would say no. If I was going to give money to someone they have to be important enough to me in my life that I'd do it off my own initiatve not becasue my secretary asked.

That's the benefit of tele-commuting...no office politics! I can't speak for the people in your office, but having been on the receiving end of said showers I don't keep track of who did or didn't contribute something. If you're close to the couple or at least like them and you have the money that's great, but I'm sure they aren't going to be upset. At my old office they just passed around a card with a envelope so if you didn't want to contribute it wasn't a hard situation.

hobbes28 said:
Dude, I just let people think what they want to think. It's not like giving them money will change thier opinion... ;)

That sucks.

True, my tiger-striped friend, true. BUT, I do have to work with them.

This is the same problem I have about the birthday parties. I don't want to celebrate thier birthdays, and I don't want to be tempted to eat cake--too many carbs. But I HAVE to pitch in. I mean think about it...I say, no, I'm not going to give money for the party, now I look like a dick. Said party rolls around and I do attend, because contrary to popular belief, I'm a decent guy...I didn't pay, I shouldn't attend. So, of course you get the "Aw, come on, it doesn't matter" and then you look like a dick because you looked like a dick for not paying BUT your STILL THERE...it's a no win situation.

Then to make matters worse, when you DO pay, there are always the leechs from 5 floors down who can smell food a mile away like a shark that's drawn to blood. I mean, WTF...why do they get to eat for free when I had to shell out money to entertain someone I don't even like.

Wow, I didn't realize that this upset me so much.

Alison said:
That's the benefit of tele-commuting...no office politics! I can't speak for the people in your office, but having been on the receiving end of said showers I don't keep track of who did or didn't contribute something. If you're close to the couple or at least like them and you have the money that's great, but I'm sure they aren't going to be upset. At my old office they just passed around a card with a envelope so if you didn't want to contribute it wasn't a hard situation.

erm...I hope you sent a thank you note :)

Seriously, though, I think the pass the card thing is the best, or even better an anonymous donation...that's the other thing, it's no body's f'ing business IF or HOW MUCH I give!

yea... i wouldn't bother....then just avoid them for a few weeks.....they'll forget about it eventually......... worst thing is if you pay up and they forget about that too... im mean it probably dont mean sh*t to them but you need the money right?!......screw em :mrgreen:

Ewww, yeah, birthday parties are even harder. I once worked on a team where we all went out once a quarter to celebrate birthdays and just go out to eat and get out of the office. Everyone still paid for their own meal since it was easier that way and it was kinds of nice. But then, I really liked the people I worked with and that makes a difference.

lol, one thing i hate is if you turn down someone's party and they have around 100+ people going and they STILL ASK YOU FOR A CARD WITH MONEY!!! GOD DAMN CHAVS!!! :banghead:

Alison said:
Ewww, yeah, birthday parties are even harder. I once worked on a team where we all went out once a quarter to celebrate birthdays and just go out to eat and get out of the office. Everyone still paid for their own meal since it was easier that way and it was kinds of nice. But then, I really liked the people I worked with and that makes a difference.

funny you should mention that....they are having happy hour/dinner tonight. While I like one of the 2 birthday people, I HATE the other, and I really don't like the rest of the folks going. So, as our British brethern (and sistern) would say, I can't be arsed to go...I said I had a prior commitment (which is actually true), and they gave me a hard time about that...which only strengthened my resolve.

jocose said:
erm...I hope you sent a thank you note :)

Seriously, though, I think the pass the card thing is the best, or even better an anonymous donation...that's the other thing, it's no body's f'ing business IF or HOW MUCH I give!

Well, I do send out a note of thanks* to people, but I meant that I'm not upset if there is a name not on the list.

*disclaimer, if I wasn't told who donated I can't say thanks*

Alison said:
Well, I do send out a note of thanks* to people, but I meant that I'm not upset if there is a name not on the list.

*disclaimer, if I wasn't told who donated I can't say thanks*

Alison,

I was just kidding...I figured that you sent out a card(s) :D

Yea, kinda hard to send thanks to Mr. and Mrs. A. Nonymous, eh? :lmao:

Most reactions

Back