I picked up my new D60 today first pics, C&C please

NATO

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok I picked up a nikon D60 today, here are some of my first images. Both were taken as I was leaving a service call on the fly.

DSC_0029.jpg

DSC_0002.jpg

keep at it... is photography new to you? i suggest picking up some reading material, or stopping by your local library and reading the book Understanding Exposure, it will teach you a lot.

these images are kind of hard to CC, because it looks as though perhaps they were just taken with Auto.. so realisticly, you didnt do anything to CC.. other than pick the subject... the second picture isnt straight...there seems to be a haze over the first.. or is it fog?

regardless, keep at it, I look forward to seeing what you can do when you get more comfortable with your new baby.

these images are kind of hard to CC, because it looks as though perhaps they were just taken with Auto.. so realisticly, you didnt do anything to CC.. other than pick the subject... the second picture isnt straight...there seems to be a haze over the first.. or is it fog?

Just out of curiosity, what makes you assume they were taken in Auto (how can you tell)?

The first one was taken in moderate fog, Yes it was on auto.

I thought I had the second one in manual, but it's more than possible I jacked it up and it was on auto or something as well.

As to photography I am well versed in the production side (making the physical prints), so I understand everything (exposure times, shutter speeds) in the verse pretty much.

Judging by the first picture, you have a potentially interesting area in which to shoot. I, along with almost everyone here, would agree with chrisburke about Understanding Exposure. It's by Bryan F. Peterson. What will help you just as much as that book is exploring this website. All of this assumes you are new to photography and not just upgrading to a D60. Welcome to the forum.

Just out of curiosity, what makes you assume they were taken in Auto (how can you tell)?

just something you gain an eye for when you look at thousands of pictures... the first one I could tell because of dead colors... not very bright... if someone was taking the time to take it in manual, they would boost up the colors some.. however yes this can be done in PP, but sometimes you can still tell.. in the second one, its the harsh flash that gave it away.. and the dead whites on the sign.... at least thats what did it for me...

The first one bugs me a little it seems like you were trying for a landscape photograph but you were focused on something in the field and then the auto mode decided that you didn't need DOF so the tree line is just a blur.

just something you gain an eye for when you look at thousands of pictures... the first one I could tell because of dead colors... not very bright... if someone was taking the time to take it in manual, they would boost up the colors some.. however yes this can be done in PP, but sometimes you can still tell.. in the second one, its the harsh flash that gave it away.. and the dead whites on the sign.... at least thats what did it for me...

Agreed.

I'm sorry, but that sounds like a crock pot full of it. If, in Auto, the camera sets certain parameters for exposure and then those same parameters are set in Manual mode, how are you able to distinguish? It's the exact same exposure.

The trick is to shoot RAW and tweak those color saturations, contrasts, etc in post...... not in camera. It looks to me as if post processing hasn't been applied, or at least, not applied effectively.

I will agree that the subject matters are not that interesting, but time, study and practice will change that. Keep at it NATO.

I'm sorry, but that sounds like a crock pot full of it.

if it s a crock why the heck was i able to tell? Infact, there have been MANY threads on here where the OP's posted their photos and I said "well this was shot in auto" and the OP's always said "yes your right"... i don't know why, i can just tell from the look of a photo whether its shot in auto or not... auto shots lack character in my eyes, and I see it really quickly...

it's comments like this that often make me wonder why i stay on this forum... i mean, I made a comment, and your basically outright calling me a liar, when I was in fact RIGHT.. you seem to be a pretty smart guy, i've read many of your posts, and you seem to have a grasp of things... but its comments like yours that make me think "well maybe he's not so smart after all"

if it s a crock why the heck was i able to tell? Infact, there have been MANY threads on here where the OP's posted their photos and I said "well this was shot in auto" and the OP's always said "yes your right"... i don't know why, i can just tell from the look of a photo whether its shot in auto or not... auto shots lack character in my eyes, and I see it really quickly...
It would be easy to employ the tactics of the street performer to have a high percetage of correct guesses. Think Three-card Monte. Someone new with a new camera and only 6 posts. One can immediately think "fresh meat", but you are only playing the odds.

If, in Auto, the camera sets certain parameters for exposure and then those same parameters are set in Manual mode, how are you able to distinguish? It's the exact same exposure.

it's comments like this that often make me wonder why i stay on this forum... i mean, I made a comment, and your basically outright calling me a liar, when I was in fact RIGHT..
and you were right because.........
and I was wrong because............

you seem to be a pretty smart guy, i've read many of your posts, and you seem to have a grasp of things... but its comments like yours that make me think "well maybe he's not so smart after all"
:lmao::lmao::lmao: Much appreciated, but tell me where I'm off. Again, if in Auto mode, the camera selects f/8, 1/160s, ISO 200 and then in Manual shooting mode you choose f/8, 1/160s, ISO 200...... how is the exposure different and how can it be distinguished between shooting modes?

I am curious and would like to be educated.

Ignore the spats NATO....... keep shooting and posting. Eventually someone will be of use for you. :lol:

:lmao::lmao::lmao: Much appreciated, but tell me where I'm off. Again, if in Auto mode, the camera selects f/8, 1/160s, ISO 200 and then in Manual shooting mode you choose f/8, 1/160s, ISO 200...... how is the exposure different and how can it be distinguished between shooting modes?

I am curious and would like to be educated.

you are 100% right, that if i set the camera in manual to the same settings it had in auto, that you wouldnt know the difference.. and I guess i was thinking "when I use manual, i dont use the settings that auto sets" and I dont because of what it does to pictures... i guess i was just thinking that if someone was taking the time to shoot in manual, the picture would look better (better colors etc).. which i already said... but if your the type f person who sets his camera to the same settings as the autos, then fill your boots, your wasting your time shooting in manual if thats what you do.. you may as well just set it to auto...

Did you happen to shoot either of those through glass? Auto glass? Kind of has that look to it.

Anyway, these kinds of shots are typical for when you get a new camera. We all have and do them, no matter how long we've been doing this. There's not a lot to them, but so what? You're excited, you got your new camera and you're playing with it.

Once you get beyond that, start thinking about what's interesting in the scene before you and how you can creatively capture that. Think about dramatic lighting, interesting angles and perspectives, and what the subject of your shot is.

Keep plugging away, and congrats on the camera!

... i guess i was just thinking that if someone was taking the time to shoot in manual, the picture would look better (better colors etc)..
And that would be because...............

... but if your the type f person who sets his camera to the same settings as the autos, then fill your boots, your wasting your time shooting in manual if thats what you do.. you may as well just set it to auto...
:lmao::lmao::lmao: ... and because I was in Manual mode and happened to have the same setting as Auto, I'm a numskull. It was serendipity all along.

... you are 100% right, that if i set the camera in manual to the same settings it had in auto, that you wouldnt know the difference.. and I guess i was thinking "when I use manual, i dont use the settings that auto sets" and I dont because of what it does to pictures
Just the remainder of your ramblings.
What does it (Auto) do to your pictures? besides pop up the on-board flash when not desired that Manual doesn't do, given the same parameters?

Irrevelant of my shooting process, how can you definetly tell what shooting mode is used. Futhermore, why is it important? Isn't the whole idea is to capture the scene? There are many roads that lead to Rome. Preconceived ideas are just that, you take track A, I take track B. The destination is the same, the journey is the fun part.

Just my 2¢.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back