I propose a challenge..

Raw files and then converted straight to JPEG in Photoshop so no you-can't-turn-them-off in-the-camera JPEG edits have been applied.

Every photograph ever made has been edited in one way or another.

PadArtC8-3-10D300A_0009.jpg

SunsetFlip010609__19.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mammatus_cloud
The color in the next 2 shots is accurate. This shot was looking northwest from my yard. No edits if you don't count the narrow black border I added to each shot. I posted these here on TPF a couple of years back.

A.jpg

A few minutes later, looking due east from across the street south of my yard.

OddClouds5-18-10D300A_0073.jpg

Last edited:
I haven't been doing a lot of shooting this semester, but here are some from a couple of rolls I took in January. Obviously they're not straight out of the camera since, like snowbear, I'd be posting pictures of a film strip. But here are some that were scanned and not touched with any other adjustments.

Oly OM-2, Tri-X.

$Untitled-Scanned-41.jpg

$Untitled-Scanned-42.jpg

Pentax Spotmatic, Kentmere 100.

$Untitled-Scanned-21.jpg

$Untitled-Scanned-29.jpg

Ok, sounds interesting:

Shutter speed : 1/320
Aperture: F 1.8
ISO: 400

Shot inside the aquarium at the zoo, so yes, very bad lighting. Used a 50 mm 1.8 AF-S G on a D5200. Normally of course I'd post process out all of the stuff on the glass and the reflections and maybe do a little with the sharpening, etc - but this is SOOC other than pulling it in to photoshop to convert to JPG.

I'll play..This is a shot I took this weekend. I resized it so I could download it on here... Nothing else done to it.
ISO 320, f6.3, 1/80
$cookies sooc1.jpg

Here's some SOOC JPEGs I shot...I screwed up and accidentally turned OFF RAW, thinking I was shooting at an elevated ISO setting...I shot this set of some strangers I had just met and asked to pose for me...I had set the WB to Cloudy as I recall, since it was a heavily fogged-in day at the Oregon Coast...I really WISH I would have had raw files for some of these...

_D3X8719.jpg photo - Derrel photos at pbase.com

_D3X8793.jpg photo - Derrel photos at pbase.com

_D3X8851.jpg photo - Derrel photos at pbase.com

I was bored shot some low light shots today to get a better understanding of how the D200 performs in low light. Better than i expected but poorly for its class I suppose. First one shot at F2.2 ISO 200 35mm lens 1/200.

2nd one shot at ISO1600 F4.2 at 75mm on a 70-200 lens 1/60. I guess that should tell you a bit about who likes me more, the cat or the dog ;)

Attachments

• $_DSC0118.jpg
    $_DSC0118.jpg
    950.6 KB · Views: 215
  • $_DSC0073.jpg
    $_DSC0073.jpg
    513.8 KB · Views: 205
This is about as close as I can get from my current shots. It's from my first attempts at panning - it was the best of many shots as people rode by. I probably cropped it a bit, but I honestly don't remember. It was only a couple of months after I got the camera so I didn't know about raw, yet - OOC JPEG. Manual exposure, WB would have been daylight or auto. August 2007.

Nikon D40, 18-135 kit lens @ 80mm, ISO 200, 1/15 second, ƒ/32.

I think this one counts - it doesn't look like low light but it was a cloudy day.

Shot on a rebel t4i, with a 50mm f/1.4 lens, 1/250 shutter speed, f 3.2 (thanks Darrel), ISO 500, using the white balance cloudy setting.
Only resized for posting. I actually like this one better in black and white
.$IMG_7676-001.JPG

$bottle.jpg

mine isn't nearly as good as a lot of these. Great pics!

Though I shoot RAW. When I import my RAWs into Aperture, it automatically applies a "camera profile" based on the RAW processing for that specific model camera but these are fairly minor and intended to roughly match what the camera would have done itself had you shot JPEG -- and, of course, you have to export a JPEG to be visible on this web because browsers don't support viewing RAW images.

Keep in mind the website has a guideline that images should not exceed 1024 pixels along the longest edge which means the images have to be resampled to be posted here and that implicitly has both a noise-reduction and sharpening effect.

With that in mind, here's a straight-out-of-the-camera shot I took over the weekend.

$VO3A2475.jpg

If you're interested, I've got a processed version here for comparison: https://www.flickr.com/photos/thevirtualtim/14184434476/

The processed version has some shadows adjustment, a gamma vignette has been applied, and I use a NIK plug-in called Vivezza which allows me to drop control points in the image to apply selective adjustments in the area around the control point. In the adjusted image, a control point was dropped on the smoke and the contrast was increased only in that area.

The image was not cropped nor straightened, etc. (Although sometimes I will do this -- I just didn't need to do it to this particular image.)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back