A lot of people will tell you to stay away from EF-S, that some zoom lenses are only good on full bodies (the 28 or 24- 105 135, etc).
But seriously, unless you are planning to go full frame (which I doubt considering you JUST bought your camera), you shouldn't worry too much about it. Lenses hold their value well and you wouldn't lose too much if you had to sell in case.
I also remember that 3 or 4 years ago people kept saying that Canon was going to abandon the EF-S mount and we were all going to be using full frame in just a couple of years. Well, it's been a lot longer, and as evinced by your new 7D, crop sensor still has a lot of life left.
With that said, I think the 60mm 2.8 is great for light macro work and it is VERY sharp. I'm happy with it. I used to have a 50 1.4, and while great in low light, the ability for macro with the 60mm sort of makes up for it. The focal length for it is also very nice for portraits, and at 2.8 you should have nice bokeh. (unfortunately vignetting IS quite noticeable at 2.8 though)
Anyway, the 28-135 I still use a lot, and eventually I will move up to a 24-105 f/4. It is not very wide on the crop body, but it is still quite usable, and if I need wider I just pop the 10-22.

For a starter lens I certainly recommend it. Stopped down and with the IS it's given me pretty great results. It's just not on par with the L class.