I SHOT THE MOON

choudhrysaab

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So the other night I took a few pix of the moon but I don't know where I went wrong.
Through the view finder I was able to see the "details" of the moon but when I took pictures all I got was a white round object without any of the details of the moon showing.

I was using Evaluative Metering. Should I have used Partial/Center Weighed Metering instead?

Here's the picture so please tell me what I should've done to get the details showing in the end result?

3798321501_2180abbddc_o.jpg

Here's the settings I used

Exposure:0.167 sec (1/6)
Aperture:f/5.6
Focal Length:200 mm
ISO Speed:200

you should use Spot metering, You meter the moon like the sun

you should use Spot metering, You meter the moon like the sun
after shooting it I realized I should've changed the metering.

damn ... now i don't know how many nights i'll have to wait for another perfect shot of the moon to capture.

I shot the moon about a week after i got my camera 3 out of like 15 shots were good, the settings i used to get this (with my D90 and a 400mm f5.6 (manual lense))
1/4000 exposure, iso500, wide open aperature (5.6) i'd probabaly do it a bit differntly now that i know my camera a little more
Moon_by_fred80.jpg

I would go ISO 200 (lowest my D70 goes, if your camera goes to 100, or 50, just cut the shutter speed in half or 1/4) use f8 (my 500mm f/8 wide open...my tripod is hardly sturdi enough at that aperture! Otherwise I would use f/16, which is the sharpest aperture of that lens) and a shutter speed of 1/100 to 1/200 depending on the brightness of the moon,

Oh, and if you dont want to do it in manula, use spot metering.

yea, F8 is definitely what you want to use for the moon. Heres mine for a little while back...

Exif was:
Aperture : f8
Shutter Speed: 1/200
ISO: 200
Manual Focus
Zoomed it at 300mm

20090809-n6dhxxs8s4dcs2cs6guqs822cf.jpg

Worked on shooting the moon the other night and had many troubles. After many shots I came to this conclusion (some may add more) ISO 100 or the lowest you can get, apt 7ish, try to bracket your exposures from what is metered and then down until you get what works. The moon is a bright light in the night sky so your trying to get a light to show detail that the cameras meter is not interested in. Atleast thats my drunken opinion. Cheers.

oh my stosh, thats a beauty!!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back