I suck at B&W..

frommrstomommy

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have really been trying to work on my B&W processing and would love a critique on this conversion..

Samantha-3bw by capturedbybc, on Flickr

I'm the last person to be critiquing, but it looks a little "hot"? Seems really bright to me. Of course, I suck at it worse than you. I cheat and let software do its thing. Here's an edit in Silver Efex Pro. I turned down the brightness some, and upped the structure a tad. Anyway, it's fun to experiment.

$14685696960_25b0de0f3c_o-Edit.jpg

Looks good, but a touch on the "hot" side. Is there any way you can post the original so I can try an edit? Also, what program are you using for conversion?

I usually edit on the "hot" side I guess.. so thats no surprise. lol I'm in LR5 and have PS also but I very very rarely edit in PS.

Here it is as a jpg SOOC.. rather underexposed
Samantha-25 by capturedbybc, on Flickr

and this was my color edit..
Samantha-3 by capturedbybc, on Flickr

I'm the last person to be critiquing, but it looks a little "hot"? Seems really bright to me. Of course, I suck at it worse than you. I cheat and let software do its thing. Here's an edit in Silver Efex Pro. I turned down the brightness some, and upped the structure a tad. Anyway, it's fun to experiment.

View attachment 81658

I kinda like that except her arms get so muddy and the fingertips especially.

I have really been trying to work on my B&W processing and would love a critique on this conversion..

Looks okay, as long as you are happy with the color hue of the image. There are a range of color hues, from warm and yellowish, to sepia-tones and warm, Agfa Brovira-like browns, to neutrals, to cold blacks, it all depends on what YOU want the image to look like.

Looks okay, as long as you are happy with the color hue of the image. There are a range of color hues, from warm and yellowish, to sepia-tones and warm, Agfa Brovira-like browns, to neutrals, to cold blacks, it all depends on what YOU want the image to look like.

I think that's my problem.. I really don't know. I just know I am not happy with anything I come up with in b&w. lol

What about this? Did a little editing in LR5 (upped the shadows and blacks, knocked back the highlights, increased contrast, added a round-area-selection (if that's what it's called) and darkened around her, then brought it into Silver Efex Pro, converted to fine art processing, and tweaked the settings to taste. If you don't have silver efex, and you like B&W, then buy it. It makes the process a breeze.

Jake

I LIKE b&w images when other people do them.. a lot actually.. and if it were not for that I would probably just never offer b&w at all.

What about this? Did a little editing in LR5 (upped the shadows and blacks, knocked back the highlights, increased contrast, added a round-area-selection (if that's what it's called) and darkened around her, then brought it into Silver Efex Pro, converted to fine art processing, and tweaked the settings to taste. If you don't have silver efex, and you like B&W, then buy it. It makes the process a breeze.

Jake

Thank you for taking the time to try it out.. I don't think I care for it though. ;\ Feels like too much midtones to me.

Jake

Thank you for taking the time to try it out.. I don't think I care for it though. ;\ Feels like too much midtones to me.

I agree. Especially in the background. Lemme rework it some more.

This?

That one looks better!

Most reactions

Back