I think I finally decided what camera I am upgrading to!

Jacki

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've mentioned this in some of my previous posts, but, in January, I am going to be upgrading my camera finally. I am very excited, because I am quite poor, and I have never had the money to buy a nice camera. I currently have a GE A735 7mp. It is not the best camera, but for the past couple of years it has given me pictures that were decent enough to keep.

Anyway, after a lot of obsessing, I think I have decided to get the Canon G9, and hopefully some accessories. I would really like to get a DSLR, but I kind of decided against it because of my budget (400), and the fact that I might not be ready for something that complex. Not that I doubt my ability to learn how to use a DSLR effectively, but I am a new wife and mother, and going to college part time, so I don't know that I would have time to learn something like that just now. I know that with the G9 I am still going to have to learn, but it will be a little less to handle than a DSLR.

I was hoping to get opinions on why or why not to get the G9, and suggestions for lenses and accessories. Also, if any of you have used one, please share your experiences with me. I take a lot of nature photos, but I also have an infant son, so I will be using it for that as well.

Feel free to suggest other cameras if you think I am headed in the wrong direction. Thank you!!

The Canon G9 is an outstanding Point n Shoot camera. It will no doubt serve you well. The only negative is the shutter lag. The pictures are spectacular. You can add an external flash if you like.

Take a lot of pictures of your baby!!!

Thank you for the reply!

I've heard about the shutter lag, and that does concern me a little. How bad is it? I'm thinking it is probably still better than the camera I have now, although I don't know specifically what the lag is on it at the moment.

The G9 is a high end PnS camera. As with any PnS camera, focusing can be a little slow (contrast based focusing using the image sensor). Depending on the situation, the shutter lag can be just a fraction of a second to a couple of seconds! So you don't want to use it for action shots. For taking family pictures it will serve you well. Yes, I think it will be better than what you have now.

think about the g11 ;)

I really do want the g11, I hear that it is better with low lighting and noise, but so far it is out of my price range, unless I find an amazing deal in January. I did find some good deals on used g9s that come with lenses though.

My other thought was to get the Canon S3 IS or the S5 IS...my husband had the S3 when it was new, and he was pretty impressed with it, but we think the G9 is better, at least from what we have been reading.

think about the g11 ;)

I really do want the g11, I hear that it is better with low lighting and noise, but so far it is out of my price range, unless I find an amazing deal in January. I did find some good deals on used g9s that come with lenses though.

My other thought was to get the Canon S3 IS or the S5 IS...my husband had the S3 when it was new, and he was pretty impressed with it, but we think the G9 is better, at least from what we have been reading.

id prefer the g9 of the s3 or s5 myself.... either way... all the cameras are great cameras... you find the right one

I shot with a G9 for over a year and it produced truly stunning images. I wish I could have done the camera justice by being a better photographer, but in the right hands it is a beautiful camera. :thumbup: Just traded mine for a lens to be used with my t1i body which should be arriving this month :D

FYI:
Most of the consumer grade DSLR cameras are as easy to use as Canon G9. They have Auto mode like most of the P&S type cameras. As for cost wise, some of them are not very expensive.

For example.

Olympus E-420 10MP Digital SLR Camera with 14-42mm Zoom Lens includes 2GB XD Card cost $399 at walmart now.
Walmart.com: Olympus E-420 10MP Digital SLR Camera with 14-42mm Zoom Lens includes 2GB XD Card. Additional Accessory Limited Time Offer: Digital Cameras

And with 20% cash back from bing.com, it will make is even better. (~$319 after cash back)

And the Olympus E-520 is about $450 in most places such as Amazon, Beach Camera or Adorama ... if you can stretch your budget a little more.

I can't stretch my budget any more...I am an extremely poor person, that just happens to be getting a little bit of extra money for school in January.

Is the Olympus E-420 a good camera? And the lens it comes with - is it good, or am I going to want another one? I saw this camera at Walmart yesterday, actually. I didn't get to test it out, because they don't keep the lenses on the cameras for obvious reasons, and I felt weird asking.

Sorry, I do not know too much about the Olympus camera nor their lenses. I am sure some forum members who have experience with Olympus system can give you more information.

Here is the review of the camera

Olympus E-420 Review: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review

However, in general, most of the entry level DSLR cameras are not bad at all. In flickr.com, there is a E-420 camera group.

Flickr: Olympus E-420

You can see some photos taken with the camera there.

I'd look at this too.

Nikon D40 special - $439 at adorama

Item Includes

D40 Camera, 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED II AF-S DX Zoom Nikkor Lens, Rechargeable Li-ion Battery EN-EL9, Quick Charger MH-23, USB Cable UC-E4, PictureProject, Rubber Eyecup DK-16, Camera Strap, Body Cap BF-1A, Eyepiece Cap DK-5, Accessory Shoe Cap BS-1
4 GB SD Memory Card - Nikon SLR system gabget bag And Nikon "Fast, Fun & Easy" DVD

INKD40KG Nikon D40 Digital Camera/ Lens Kit w/18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED II AF-S DX Lens, Sandisk Ultra 4GB SD Memory Card, Nikon SLR system gadget bag And Nikon "Fast, Fun & Easy" DVD

By the way, the kit lens that comes with the camera has the focal length of 14-42mm. And the field of view is similar to a 35mm film camera with 28-84mm.
And that zoom range covers pretty well unless you want to take a photo of a bird on a tree or a macro shot of a ladybug.

I believe this is the lens that shipped with the camera (not 100% positive)

Olympus Lens: Zooms - Olympus 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 ED Zuiko Digital (Tested) - SLRgear.com!

The rating is not bad at all.
Quoted from SLRGEAR site:

"Conclusion
Probably the most question for the users of this lens will be whether it's worth the upgrade to the 14-54mm ƒ/2.8-3.5. The 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 stands well on its own, where shots taken in generally favorable conditions will come out well. In low-light conditions the lack of a fast aperture setting becomes restrictive, and autofocusing becomes difficult. Image quality is good: chromatic aberration, distortion and vignetting are well controlled for a lens at this price point. There's no easy answer to the upgrade question, other than it depending on what kind of photography you're into. But for general shooting in good light, the 14-42mm is good value for the money."

I am not familiar with the G-9, but as I read the previous' post it sounds like it's an advanced P&S. If I am correct, that also means that you can change/adjust shutter speed and also aperture. You'll be fine, I have an older Nikon Coolpix 5400 which allows me the same, and it takes amazing shots, color, B&W, and ISO up to 1000. Have fun :thumbup:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back