I think I'm getting better....maybe. C&C please

I really like how you cropped it, and brightened it a bit!
great job!

I like the water there, but I agree that the sky is a bit too much.

early in my photography education I am struggling with the blown out skies. I've heard you have to meter on the sky but it still shows all blown out in the pick. That will be a big hurdle for me whenever I'm able to do it.
This maybe a dumb question? But when you meter off the sky, how are you doing it? If you're pointing at the sky and holding the shutter half way down, then recomposing, you're doing it wrong.

I only ask this because you say you've been doing it and it hasn't made a difference, and because I know a ton of people, some of which have been tinkering with photography for a while and still made that same mistake.

What ever you meter for, that is what the camera is exposing for. So if you do meter off the sky, then the sky will be exposed correctly. And you may already know this, but just incase, when you meter off of whatever, make sure you press the AE lock button. That will lock in that exposure, then that will give you a few seconds to recompose and take the shot.

funny you bring that up because I was just tinkering around with the AE lock in the backyard but I think I'm doing something wrong. I meter on the sky and press the AE lock button but it just beeps and does nothing, when I recompose on the subject it keeps adjusting as usual.

i like them both. #2 without the border looks much better. do you have more? as a pair they are a bit disconnected. i liked to see more about the place.

I have a few more but they are all just about identical. I wanted to get a shot from the front with this really neat bridge but there were like a billion people in the way. I do have this one though:

4358379224_2d64ee43b1.jpg

early in my photography education I am struggling with the blown out skies. I've heard you have to meter on the sky but it still shows all blown out in the pick. That will be a big hurdle for me whenever I'm able to do it.
This maybe a dumb question? But when you meter off the sky, how are you doing it? If you're pointing at the sky and holding the shutter half way down, then recomposing, you're doing it wrong.

I only ask this because you say you've been doing it and it hasn't made a difference, and because I know a ton of people, some of which have been tinkering with photography for a while and still made that same mistake.

What ever you meter for, that is what the camera is exposing for. So if you do meter off the sky, then the sky will be exposed correctly. And you may already know this, but just incase, when you meter off of whatever, make sure you press the AE lock button. That will lock in that exposure, then that will give you a few seconds to recompose and take the shot.

funny you bring that up because I was just tinkering around with the AE lock in the backyard but I think I'm doing something wrong. I meter on the sky and press the AE lock button but it just beeps and does nothing, when I recompose on the subject it keeps adjusting as usual.

I've only ever used Canon Nikon and Sony, but they typically should be the same. Basically, when you are looking through the view finder and you point at the sky (or whatever else) and you push the AE lock button, you see a asterisk at the bottom. Once you see it, you recompose and take your shot. For the cameras I have used it usually only stays on for about 4 seconds. If you haven't taken the shot by then I re do it.

Like I said I never used Pentax, but it should be the same or a least similar. If it doesn't work, read your manual and see what it says to do.

Having said that, usually when people talk about metering off the sky, they use a bright blue sky which typically has an 18% tone to it. I have also metered off of grass on a bright but overcast day. But whatever you expose for will be what is "properly exposed". other way though, if the sky is cloudy, but cool or decent looking, I will still sometimes meter off it. Otherwise, I use the grass or a grey card if I have it with me.

I love the second- not wild about the thick border however.

The first photo, the subject at least, has potential. The detail is in the background, lots of interest. That screams for a large DOF to caputure everything. Center composition here on the vertical to achieve symmetry but fill the face of the statue into the top third of the frame (if not fill the vertical with the subject). If you could manage to get this where there is some directional light (and accompanying shadow) that not only accentuated the shape but added in a load of contrast (some can be added in post, too), it would be a really strong image, especially with the angle you're shooting at.

I like the original and like the fact we see more water. I agree, a wide angle lens would of been cool. Of course there are many things you can do in photoshop to even make it pop more. But all in all, I really like your picture.

I appreciate all the comments, I wasnt expecting this much feedback. I have learned a lot from this thread alone. I wish I had a better wide angle lens, maybe next year.

Most reactions

Back