i think this turned out pretty good.

dannylightning

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
20151128-DSC_4685-2.jpg

The odds of you getting honest critique drop dramatically when you declare how much you like a picture.
No one wants to take the chance of hurting your feelings by mentioning any shortcomings.
You learn much more from your mistakes than your successes.

The odds of you getting honest critique drop dramatically when you declare how much you like a picture.
No one wants to take the chance of hurting your feelings by mentioning any shortcomings.
You learn much more from your mistakes than your successes.

I'll bite. It's really nothing more than a snapshot man. What is your main subject? If it's the sign, you've put a lot of dead space in the upper left which does nothing for the image.

I agree. It seems like it could have just as easily been an iPhone image you took while walking up to a neighbors house.

It doesn't really tell a story, or excite me at all. Also, it feels crooked to me.

This is an image that gets LIKES on Facebook but not in a photography forum.

I think it's a pretty enough detail to take a picture of - the lamp is in good shape, the leaves are arranged nicely. Apart from it being a tiny bit underexposed, it seems technically fine - good focus, good depth of field to isolate the subject. And the composition is not bad - there are some interesting shapes going on in the frame.

But...and you knew there would be one ;) ... it's also the kind of mundane object that doesn't make for an interesting picture unless there's something else to make it interesting. And that "something else" is light. Yes, light is important in every kind of shot, but when the subject is such an every-day unexciting thing, the light is absolutely critical. Unfortunately, the absence of good light in this picture flattens it and makes it less interesting, despite its other technical or compositional merits.

Edit: If you can, try this same shot at a different time of day when it gets some more direct light.

Last edited:
I find it almost impossible not to look at the watermark.
The text of the sign is the brightest piece of content - and viewers look at text - and then right next to it is that big, blocky white watermark.

Nice shot.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

i was not expecting to hear such harshness out of this photo.. i know its nothing special but i though it was pretty descent.

thanks for the honesty. i am trying to get better at landscape type photos..

IMO, I think it would benefit by a more shallow depth of field. Shooting it at 2.8, or even 1.8, would separate the post from the tree in the background, and isolate your subject better.

more bokah would have been nice. my lens was wide open when i shot it.

i was not expecting to hear such harshness out of this photo.. i know its nothing special but i though it was pretty descent.

thanks for the honesty. i am trying to get better at landscape type photos..

Let's ask you a question. What is decent about the photo that you like? What did you see in this photo that made you take the picture?

I guess there's just nothing special about the picture.
Whatever you saw is just not "decent" to other viewers. It's just a boring subject.
You did attempt a shallow depth of field, but the trees in the background are a bit distracting. If you took from a different angle, would there be more basic background that wouldn't detract from the subject?

from any angle there will be trees or a house in the background.

i like the leaves, not many of those around at this time of year.

Most reactions

Back