I thought this was Beyond the Basics?

Does anyone have a picture of a mountain and a molehill?

mountain_molehill.jpg

Sorry, after I posted that I remembered the rule about posting only pictures you have taken, but it seemed awfully appropriate.

I dunno Mike...those look more like gopher mounds than molehills...(Derrel....former gopher bounty hunter....seriously...)

I just googled "mountain and molehill photos" didn't have your expertise to determine the credibility of the description. Alright, I guess I gotta go find some darn molehills and post my own picture... wait I don't even know what a mole hill looks like, and I live in Illinois so a mountain is going to be really difficult.

Sure looks like Silbury. Not far from Stonehenge.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silbury_Hill

I just googled "mountain and molehill photos" didn't have your expertise to determine the credibility of the description. Alright, I guess I gotta go find some darn molehills and post my own picture... wait I don't even know what a mole hill looks like, and I live in Illinois so a mountain is going to be really difficult.

Not at all. Honesty has nothing to do with giving anyone anything. It's about owning up to your own actions. Let's put it this way -- Honesty is admitting you broke your wife's favorite family heirloom; candor is telling your wife she's fat. Which one is honorable; which one is just rude?

Well, that view of "honesty" is one of several. In the context of the discussion earlier, an "honest opinion" is one where the giver of the opinion gave what you would call a candid opinion. There's enough ambiguity in the use of the English language that several meanings can be associated with the word or phrase, and they are not necessarily mutually exclusive. I am not disagreeing with your use of "Honest" in terms of admitting responsibility, but the colloquial use of "honest" also covers what you call candor. Therefore I was intrigued by your distinction between the two.

Thank you for your thoughtful response. Yes, I agree that there are many definitions for "honesty". In fact, I just looked it up, and at least one on-line dictionary considers its use synonymous with "candor". An older, 60 year-old dictionary defines it as "refraining from lying, cheating, and stealing". I'm left to conclude that the merging of "honesty" and "candor" is a newer definition. Personally, I find this troubling. I'm seeing an increasing level of incivility in society, and that incivility is being reflected in many of the C&C comments I see on this site. I find nothing useful in telling someone "your photo sucks", or "I dunno, man, I just don't get it", or "your photo just looks like more over-processed HDR garbage". I've read all of these comments recently. To justify these kind of comments as virtuous "honesty" is crudely off target. Hence, I don't agree with the OP's comment that "being honest is harsh".

Had to be civil when we met face to face, or called on the phone. Who does that anymore?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back