I thought this was Beyond the Basics?

imagemaker46

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
imagecommunications.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've been reading through some of the posts and they they are sounding like beginner questions. I have been a professional photographer for over 35 years and some of the suggestions posted to the questions sound like they are coming from point and shoot camera owners. I'll offer advice where I can and if I come across a little harsh in my responses, well that's the way I tell it. I don't candy coat anything when it comes to photography, and if I offend anyone, don't wait for a heart felt apology, there won't be one coming. Being honest is harsh.

awesome finally someone to answer my questions!!!

one question for now, When i take pictures on my dads nikon n90s, where do the pictures show up at? i cant for the life of me figure out how to make them show on the top screen.

And as many times as I've said it and no one here with the power to change things cares; leaving people to decide for themselves where to base post when forums are divided into categories that don't have concrete divisions between them will get you a huge mess of random posts in random forums. That is why the beginner forum is a giant dumping ground for everything. What are they basics? Everything past manual mode and learning shutter speed, aperture, and ISO? Well, how come there's posts about flash photography and posts with some photos that can only be acheived with advanced techniques all over the beginner's forum.

"Photographic Discussions", is the whole reason people visit this board. Pretty much 90% of the forums are about photographic discussions. POTN has it right by dividing based on concrete identifiers. There's a gear section divided in to P&S, DSLR, lenses, lighting equipment, and accessories. Then each section is divided into forums based on something where the user doesn't have to make up their own mind of it's too advanced or not to belong in the beginner forum. That's also why the actual photo section of this board is dead. Someone decided that since the noobs had to be constantly reminded that they weren't supposed to post photo in the beginner section and were supposed to use the photo section, that they might as well just change it to beginner discussion and gallery, so that it could become photo dump. Now the photo section of this board is suffering because of it.

But hey, if people in charge aren't willing to take valide suggestions and make an effort to change this place for the better, then they can't really expect the participants to do the same. Lead by example and not by solely trying to generate revenue off your users.

awesome finally someone to answer my questions!!!

one question for now, When i take pictures on my dads nikon n90s, where do the pictures show up at? i cant for the life of me figure out how to make them show on the top screen.

I'm guessing they're where ever you dropped the film off to get it developed at?

I've been reading through some of the posts and they they are sounding like beginner questions. I have been a professional photographer for over 35 years and some of the suggestions posted to the questions sound like they are coming from point and shoot camera owners. I'll offer advice where I can and if I come across a little harsh in my responses, well that's the way I tell it. I don't candy coat anything when it comes to photography, and if I offend anyone, don't wait for a heart felt apology, there won't be one coming. Being honest is harsh.

Like it or not, the vast majority of users on this forum are people who are new to photography. People come and people go...but we probably get a dozen or more new members every day, most of which are new to photography in one way or another.

The result of this is that many long time users and/or seasoned photographers will find that the forum's usefulness to them fades.
However, many of us keep coming back here for other reasons. A big part of it is the community and the friends we've made here. Another part of it, is directly related to all the 'newbies' that come here...we love to teach. For me personally, I spend most of my time here helping others and I really enjoy it. When I have questions that I need answered, I'll often use another source...maybe a forum that has a much higher percentage of pro photographers.

OP - Don't think you are breaking new ground by being honest and direct. There's a lot of people like that here. Myself included.

I agree with you fully. I really dont do critiques mush because if you are honest then you are a prick, even if you offer advice for the next time. I dont come here like I used to becaue to me the place is like a train wreck. But I do read here most of the time to watch the wreck.

Didn't figure I'd be doing anything new by being honest on a photo forum. I know that the ones that listen to what I say and appreciate it are the ones that will go further with a camera than those that whine about comments being made. I don't think there is much that I might say that hasn't already been said somewhere on this forum, but starting new to it, I'm not going to read back over and see what has been said. I'll toss out suggestions when I think they will help. I will also back up my comments when challenged. I do understand that most of these forums are built on amateurs, some want to learn, some think they are ready to be professionals. The ones that think they are ready, I usually just advise them to quit their full time jobs today, and see how long they last as a full time photographer, if in 6 months they aren't 3 months behind on the rent and bills then they may have a chance.

Probably me, among others.

Part of the problem in this section is clearly lack of moderation. Threads need to be moved around.

This is a great forum for beginners (Yes, even this "Beyond the basics" section is for beginners, whether you agree or not)

I started here, and I loved it here. But if you're looking for an actual professional photographer's forum that's active, and full of very experienced photographers, you go to fredmiranda.com.

You mean that my moms Friends cat pictures arent advanced?

I am still new to photography, so I have lots of questions. But I personally like an honest opinion and feedback because I want to learn! Lol

I don't candy coat anything when it comes to photography, and if I offend anyone, don't wait for a heart felt apology, there won't be one coming. Being honest is harsh.

As I always say there's a big difference between being honest(harsh) and being constructive in critique. Sadly some forget the latter part and focus only on being harsh/honest (they also tend to only ever point out the bad and never the good).

The other problem is that some seem more harsh than they actually are because they need a poke/prompt to give over more details or because their method of writing appears more dismissive than they actually intend it to be.

EDIT: just before this thread runs away from things (because I'm going to bed now and won't be here to see what happens to it ;)) I'll clarify that my reply above, whilst quoting, is not targeted against anyone. It's a generalist statement made against the general point of "harsh is honest" viewpoint.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back