I tried "some street"... it didn't go well!

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have lots of people here who talk about what they would do.
In the discussions, everyone is a star.

This is photography.
Show pictures.

No. This is John's picture to make.

I wasn't suggesting that people post here, I was stating that too many people talk a good game but can't shoot for chit.

I am pleased to see a post from gsgary where he doesn't use the word Leica; that is a rarity indeed. :02.47-tranquillity:

Altho he does emphasize that it was done with film.
IMO, the difficulty or the medium doesn't make pictures better.
If that were true, many people would shoot wet plate while standing on one leg and they'd be geniuses of the art.

I am pleased to see a post from gsgary where he doesn't use the word Leica; that is a rarity indeed. :02.47-tranquillity:

If that were true, many people would shoot wet plate while standing on one leg and they'd be geniuses of the art.

I use the LEICA and FILM because it is very quiet and small and fast

"In many cases, incompetence does not leave people disoriented, perplexed, or cautious.
Instead, the incompetent are often blessed with an inappropriate confidence, buoyed by something that feels to them like knowledge."

We Are All Confident Idiots - Pacific Standard: The Science of Society

an article by David Dunning, co-author of the Dunning-Kruger Effect

yes, and you remind us of that routinely - and close to constantly.

I gotta say, that BACKPACK holding up a sign is pretty exciting stuff. Realllly got my blood pumping!!!

A sign reading, "Your Body Your Life Your Choice"..being propped up against a stone wall by a backpack. Meanwhile to the left, a bored-looking woman in a heavy coat sits, forlorn and slumped. Meanwhile, we're told that a Leica and 28mm lens, shot from close range, will turn this into "street".

That line of thinking is little more than equipment fetishism, which has for decades been one of the biggest jokes against Leica shooters that Leica users don't seem to comprehend.

following his photos in the leaderboard thread lew, i personally love input from Gary. Guy seems to have been doing this for quite a few years and looking through is thousands of photos he posted over there (the good, bad, and ugly) i don't even doubt his experience and he lays them on the table with no reservations or apologies just does. No concerns or struggles just "it is what it is". i wish i had that level of experience and mass collection of him or some others on this board i am no where near it.

following his photos in the leaderboard thread lew, i personally love input from Gary. Guy seems to have been doing this for quite a few years and looking through is thousands of photos he posted over there (the good, bad, and ugly) i don't even doubt his experience and he lays them on the table with no reservations or apologies just does. No concerns or struggles just "it is what it is". i wish i had that level of experience and mass collection of him or some others on this board i am no where near it.
I don't want to be on the leader board I want taking down

too late. you are there. lol!!!!!!!!
it is actually good, people post their BEST stuff usually and it is a good place for a throw all to see how well people really shoot it cuts the b.s. to a extent.
when i see someone post a good photo on here i normally assume they have fifty thousand crap ones they are hiding and it has been processed over three dozen times. The fact you shoot film adds something because i know it isn't cheap so you aren't deleting the crap ones..
oh the days of digital ...

it is actually good, people post their BEST stuff usually and it is a good place for a throw all to see how well people really shoot it cuts the b.s. to a extent.
when i see someone post a good photo on here i normally assume they have fifty thousand crap ones they are hiding and it has been processed over three dozen times. The fact you shoot film adds something because i know it isn't cheap so you aren't deleting the crap ones..
I don't get crap ones I post them and keep the best for me [emoji3]

bribrius said:

Ummm...Lew was referring to gsgary, from the UK...the Leaderboard thread poster is Gary A...two different guys, about 6,000 some-odd miles apart...

Anywayyy, as for Tirediron's post about having tried some street and how it didn't go too well, to use his title...I don't think the fault lies with his camera (Leica or not) or lens (tele or wide-angle), but really is just a matter of subject matter that's simply quiet and reserved and not...all that interesting. There's not much going on there. Not enough to make a compelling photo. That's not John's fault.

Last edited:

I don't get crap ones I post them and keep the best for me
emoji3.png
bribrius said:

Ummm...Lew was referring to gsgary, from the UK...the Leaderboard thread poster is Gary A...two different guys, about 6,000 some-odd miles apart...
shows how much i pay attention....lol

I feel like the triangle of good street photography goes:

Composition - Subject - Light

If you have one of the three, the photo is probably "meh."

If you have two of the three, the photo is probably "good" or maybe even "great."

And the best photos have all three working simultaneously to draw the viewer in.

But I'm not a regular shooter of street, so maybe there's something else that makes the best street photos the best.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back