I tried "some street"... it didn't go well!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think Capa (and Gary A) were saying you were too far away in terms of a focal point and you needed to zoom in...you can use a zoom lens for that. Rather, Capa is saying "if your picture is 'blah' than it's b/c you aren't taking enough risks (and no, that doesn't necessarily mean standing in front of cars) and aren't close enough to the story to be able to say 'here's the picture!'"

So in this instance, how Capa is relevant is....besides asking yourself what the story is that you could tell (or want to tell) with this setting, ask yourself what you could have done to have gotten more knowledgable or closer to the possible picture. Do something to draw their attention (and move them from boredom)? Accompany a visitor to the clinic (so you're photographing the signs and protesters from the POV of the visitor/patient? This is about privacy and limits. Capa is saying that if the picture isn't good enough, then you need to know more about the situation, take more risks, get more involved.

I guess Capa meant just that - not close enough. Literally. Because zoom does not help here. You can not fool people by using a tele. I mean people who will look at the photo.

I met one of my favourite street photographer at the Format Festival 3 years ago (Bruce Gilden) and he was a really nice chap

He has a lot to answer for though - I'm betting this Leica and film problem you've been having is caught from him! ;)

This is a scene I pass frequently; these folks are set up on a street corner diagonally across from a "woman's health clinic". No prizes for guessing what the nature of most of the treatments are... anyway, I've driven past it so many times and thought that there were some great street images... unfortunately, it would appear that this is NOT my forte... HOWEVER, I would appreciate any input on what (if anything) might make them better.

For:
Prot%20%283%29.jpg

I actually kind of like the first image.

The composition is nice, and it tells a very interesting story of a boring as hell protest. Shows that they may have a lack of support. Signs without supporters, a backpack on the ground where the person "went on break" and all tied nicely in with the girl's face.

The other ones are a bit too far / wide for any real interest.

Street photos are sometimes about telling a story, usually of every day life, and capturing an emotion or an event that happens and is gone. While the second part doesnt really apply, the first does.

I'll do street photos for hours on end and only have a small handful of images after many hours of walking the streets. I'll often shoot under 20 shots as the moments can be hard to capture.

I'm a fan of 35mm and getting close...whether it be a sign, a person or whatever. Long lenses remove the feeling. I want to give the viewer a sense that they are there, so 200mm shots remove that. I've done some shots at 16mm and that is a good place to start as you can stand there, not point the camera at someone, and still get them easily in the frame.

Like anything else, practice makes perfect. Head out again, maybe on a busier pedestrian street and capture more images. Keep it at :)

Thanks Pierre - I will try again, but there's something compelling for me about this particular scene that I want to get right.

group hug time!

Seriously people...
Next person to derail this thread with personal attacks or other such nonsense gets a week off the forum. Offhand insults through a "joke" gets 3 days off.
What's the difference?
Post something and find out.

Carry on.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back