What's new

I want a good quality compact camera

fadingaway1986

I Burn Easily :(
Joined
Feb 4, 2004
Messages
1,449
Reaction score
9
Location
Queensland, Australia
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have my dSLR (a Canon 50D) and I love it. But I really want something that I can slip in my bag for special occasions. I went to a wedding on Saturday, and it was beautiful. The church was quite bright and well-lit, however when I went to take photos everything changed and the photos were dark. I tried to change it to the high ISO setting, which ended up with EXTREMELY noisy photos. The flash goes half a metre at the most. (My Mum took a photo of me and the bride, and we were about a metre away from her, and the photo is AWFUL. It is horribly dark.)

So I am looking for a good compact camera. I know compact cameras aren't dSLRs, but my 50D didn't really fit into the semi-formal wedding. (And definitely not into the bag I had)

So I would like to take suggestions. I am willing to spend up to a few hundred (maybe $500AU).

My main features would be - somewhat small (but I am not looking for TINY) - just no "look-a-like dSLR's". (But a lens that sticks out a little is fine)
A reasonable weight
No preference of batteries, as I see positives in both
Not too concerned about video mode, but see it as a bonus.
A reasonable zoom, without compromising size or quality. (Would prefer less zoom with better picture quality)
Good quality photos
Decent flash
Works well in low-light situations (and at 400-800ISO)


I was looking at the Panasonic Lumix LX5's. But really don't know what is out there at the moment in this range.
 
The Olympus XZ-1. I'm also looking for a snap shot to toss in my bag. I've read many great reviews about this one.
 
High end P&S that I like.

* Panasonic LX5 (wide angle fast optics)
* Canon S95 (compact size fast optics)
* Canon G12 (features)
* Olympus XZ-1

In that order.

BTW... Even the high end P&S fall apart in IQ above ISO 400. IMO, you should be looking at mirrorless with a fast prime (Micro 4/3, NEX etc). Their sensors are bigger.
 
I have a Canon sx210 is. I've seen some pretty good results (quality) and think you can pick one up for a couple of hundred less than the G12. It doesn't have the vari-angle LCD but I believe it has a much longer zoom.
 
Check out the Samsung TL500/EX1. It has a lot going for it like IQ, Manual controls, f 1.8 - f 2.4 lens, articulated AMOLED screen etc. Solid build & not too big.

Cheers,
kev
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom