I was just on Adobe chat and the service is still bloody pathetic

Just out of interest what WAS the original problem that resulted in the poor customer service? It might be that what you asked was abnormal/difficult/strange/poorly worded.

How can I cancel my subscription. what lead me to ask that you say, well the cancel subscription thing wasn't showing in my profile.

How can I cancel my subscription. what lead me to ask that you say, well the cancel subscription thing wasn't showing in my profile.

Letting any company debit your account automatically is like attaching a "leech from hell" to your money. For those companies that require it, I keep a couple extra credit card accounts, just for that purpose. When I have a problem with a leech, its' a simple matter to transfer the others debiting the card to a different one, and cancel the card. End of problem. Or you can simply transfer the others and put a hold on the card until your problem goes away, then reuse it at a later date.

Just out of interest what WAS the original problem that resulted in the poor customer service? It might be that what you asked was abnormal/difficult/strange/poorly worded.

So what made you want to cancel in the first place?
Also where was the cancel button - which I take it was the problem you had?

Letting any company debit your account automatically is like attaching a "leech from hell" to your money. For those companies that require it, I keep a couple extra credit card accounts, just for that purpose. When I have a problem with a leech, its' a simple matter to transfer the others debiting the card to a different one, and cancel the card. End of problem. Or you can simply transfer the others and put a hold on the card until your problem goes away, then reuse it at a later date.

Seems rather longwinded? Wouldn't it be easier just to cancel the direct debit by contacting your bank. Banks will do that pretty quickly and once its gone its gone unless you approve it again. Plus if you've also cancelled it at teh company end then there shouldn't be any problem. Far easier than juggling money in and out of various accounts and moving registration stuff around.

Seems rather longwinded? Wouldn't it be easier just to cancel the direct debit by contacting your bank. Banks will do that pretty quickly and once its gone its gone unless you approve it again.

Automatic debits are different then recurring bill pay offered by a bank. With automatic debits, you've signed a contractual agreement giving an outside company permission to debit an amount from your bank account. Most banks (at least they did) consider this outside their control (being between you and the outside company) and will refuse to stop the debit, requiring you to close the account and reopen a new account (which is a lot more difficult then switching a credit card). Federal law says you can send a "Revocation of Authority To Debit" to the outside company, and a notice to the bank that you have issued a "Revocation of Authority", not sure of the time limits in doing so, or the time required to become effective. Some banks might also require a stop payment order, but then look out for recurring stop payment charges every time the outside company tries to debit your account.

Last edited:
Hmm it might be a bit different in the UK - rules over here might be a bit better at letting you stop a payment at the Bank. Of course if you don't cancel your direct debit and the company can't withdraw funds then they might well query this - either sending an invoice; a termination of contract etc...

Then again whenever I've cancelled a direct debit its been an easy and amicable situation so I've never had to do anything out of the ordinary.

After 20-plus years as a
BUYER of Photoshop,I
AM nowunimpressed withAdobe and have stayed with LR 3.6 since
2013 or so.

After 20-plus years as a
BUYER of Photoshop,I
AM nowunimpressed withAdobe and have stayed with LR 3.6 since
2013 or so.

You're such a rebel Derrel! LOL If you decide you want to live a little more daring I think I still have a copy of Corel Paintshop X9.

Hmm it might be a bit different in the UK

Could be. I once let myself get suckered into letting a company debit my checking account....it didn't go well. Won't ever give them control of anything but a throw away account again.

Buuuuuuuuuut.........the two most-popular apps are only $10 monthly in perpetuity!

My C

So what made you want to cancel in the first place?
Also where was the cancel button - which I take it was the problem you had?

I just wanted to stop the auto renewal from happening as it would be forgotten about by the time the renewal date came around. Typically for a racket organisation the stop auto renew button was not a option for self selection, ie greyed out, so I had to contact chat and the only solution the guy gave me was to battle through chat a month before the renwal will take place to stop it taking place.

Seems rather longwinded? Wouldn't it be easier just to cancel the direct debit by contacting your bank. Banks will do that pretty quickly and once its gone its gone unless you approve it again. Plus if you've also cancelled it at teh company end then there shouldn't be any problem. Far easier than juggling money in and out of various accounts and moving registration stuff around.

That can then reflect on your credit score as a renege

Hmm it might be a bit different in the UK - rules over here might be a bit better at letting you stop a payment at the Bank. Of course if you don't cancel your direct debit and the company can't withdraw funds then they might well query this - either sending an invoice; a termination of contract etc...

Then again whenever I've cancelled a direct debit its been an easy and amicable situation so I've never had to do anything out of the ordinary.

Im in Ireland,

That can then reflect on your credit score as a renege

Stopping a company from dinging your account has nothing to do with your credit score. If you have a contractual payment agreement for a certain period of time or for a certain amount total with a company and don't make pay, then it can reflect on your credit, but how you transfer payment is irrelevant. Had a similar situation come up last year. My MS Office 360 is on an annual subscription. The card linked to payment was compromised and a new one issued, but I forgot to update MS. Of course when they tried to ding my card at renewal it wouldn't work. I got a nice email asking me if I wanted to renew then please update my card information. Had I not, my subscription would have stopped at the renewal date, and there would have been no further commitment.

In the case of Adobe, it is a 12 month subscription, that can be cancelled during the year but there is a 50% of remaining months early termination fee. How to cancel your Adobe Creative Cloud plan or membership There is no charge if you cancel within 14 days after renewal. According to the web site you can opt out of the auto renewal at any time during the year without penalty by going to Manage Account page or by contacting us in your region.

I wonder if because of your country location, you are going through Adobe's billing partner? According to the Adobe site, online changes are not possible if you are. You have to call customer service for change (see above).

Last edited:
smoke665 said:
In the case of Adobe, it is a 12 month subscription, that can be cancelled during the year but there is a 50% of remaining months early termination fee. How to cancel your Adobe Creative Cloud plan or membership There is no charge if you cancel within 14 days after renewal. According to the web site you can opt out of the auto renewal at any time during the year without penalty by going to Manage Account page or by contacting us in your region.

Got to dis-incentivize (the relatively new word)early terminations!

SNIP> the stop auto renew button was not a option for self selection, ie greyed out, so I had to contact chat and the only solution the guy gave me was to battle through chat a month before the renwal will take place to stop it taking place.

They probably have a lot of customers and just can not cope with such a big amount of submissions.

Most reactions

Back