ICM "Painting look alike"

Dagwood56

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
"Painting Look A Like"

Creative blur image using ICM as well as short turns in an out on a zoom lens. Single shot in camera, minimal editing for crop and contrast etc. I zoomed in on this before posting to look for dust spots. Also had my husband check it, we saw nothing, hopefully no one else will :1251: lol. ISO 100, f22, 2,5 seconds, natural light from window

Last edited:
I'll be honest Carolyn, this just doesn't have the same tranquil feeling as most of your work. I think the shadows and especially the dark area at the bottom are affecting this. Good work on the sensor-bunnies! ;)

I really like your style!
Time to clean the sensor, though. This one is covered with sensor spots and I think they detract from the intent.

I'll be honest Carolyn, this just doesn't have the same tranquil feeling as most of your work. I think the shadows and especially the dark area at the bottom are affecting this. Good work on the sensor-bunnies! ;)

Thanks for your thoughts John. This has been something I've been experimenting with for a few months now. The thoughts on the shadows seem to be split down the middle from other postings I've made. Some like it some don't.:1251:

I really like your style!
Time to clean the sensor, though. This one is covered with sensor spots and I think they detract from the intent.

Thanks glad you like it. As for the spots are you sure you're seeing dust spots? I zoomed in on this to 100,200 and finally 400 percent and neither me or my husband saw any spots. {shrugs}

And now that I'm on a proper monitor, I can see a LOT of sensor dust.

I think in this image the shadows (to me at least) feel "unbalanced" and the bottom portion of the image is much darker, taking on a "heavy" feeling. That said, it might also be nothing more than the fact that this is different than much of your previous work.

And now that I'm on a proper monitor, I can see a LOT of sensor dust.

I think in this image the shadows (to me at least) feel "unbalanced" and the bottom portion of the image is much darker, taking on a "heavy" feeling. That said, it might also be nothing more than the fact that this is different than much of your previous work.

SIGH. I'm not sure it will be beneficial for me to post anything else then....I can't afford to have my camera sensor cleaned, I can't do it myself because of my failing eyesight and trust me when I say it is not something I would trust my impatient husband to do. Apparently all my photos are going to have spots. Not sure what to do at this point. We honestly saw no spots. I have a brand new 24" samsung monitor I got for Christmas...I just don;t know what to do. I don;t quite understand how you folks see them and we can't. Oh well

Oh, please continue to post! I would love to see more art like this on the forum.

I use Adobe lightroom, and I have found that the "Dehaze" tool, when maxed out to 100%, makes the sensor spots much easier to see. I remove the spots, then put the dehaze back to zero.
Maybe the software you use has something that would provide the same effect - even maxing out the contrast might make them more visible.

Just blowing off the sensor with a little air puffer bulb can help.

Many of us here might have a few minutes here and there to clone out the spots for you. Let me be the first to volunteer!

I would double check the lens for spots - on the front and back. Could be an easier fix than a sensor cleaning.

I had my husband look at this again, zoomed in to 300 % and while he did finally see some spots, he had to use a magnifying glass to see them....

I would double check the lens for spots - on the front and back. Could be an easier fix than a sensor cleaning.

Thanks, I usually do that automatically when I change lenses.

Oh, please continue to post! I would love to see more art like this on the forum.

I use Adobe lightroom, and I have found that the "Dehaze" tool, when maxed out to 100%, makes the sensor spots much easier to see. I remove the spots, then put the dehaze back to zero.
Maybe the software you use has something that would provide the same effect - even maxing out the contrast might make them more visible.

Just blowing off the sensor with a little air puffer bulb can help.

Many of us here might have a few minutes here and there to clone out the spots for you. Let me be the first to volunteer!

Thanks for asking me to continue posting. I have tried a bulb type blower in the past, it just seemed to blow the dust around - spots still there, but different places. I appreciate the offer for someone to remove spots here, however I can't expect someone to do that each time I post. Plus cloning on ICM images really doesn't work very well because of the movement in the photo it tends to alter the image too much. I always use the spot healing brush. I only have PSE10 and it doesn't have dehaze that I know of. I have to think for awhile and decide if I'll keep posting or not.

Strange, I'd think you would be able to see them with enlarging that much. I'm seeing tons of spots everywhere, and that's not enlarging to pixel peep. Could something in the JPEG compression be causing them to show up more I wonder???? I just looked at these again blowing the image up, not so sure now that they're dust spots. They could well be oil spots. Didn't see what equipment you have but Nikon has reputation for slinging excess oil from the shutter mechanism. It might be time to send it to a repair shop for cleaning.

Agree with the others I'm not a fan of this one as much as the other one. I've done several ICM combined with zoom, and never been able to predict the outcome ahead of time. Guess that's why I like it, sometimes you get the peanut and sometimes the hull.

Last edited:
I agree... OIL SPOTS seem more likely than dust bunnies..at f/22, most dust would look more like a pepper fleck than a 3.5mm-wide, diffused circle...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back