Ideas for camera bag - 300mm adaptability

OhioGuy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey gang!

Been looking on Amazon for an hour and I'm trying to get ideas for a sling type bag which will allow me to keep the lens on the body. I shoot with a Nikon D5200 and have the 70-300MM lens.

The configuration ideally would allow me to walk around and keep the camera mostly in the bag, then whip it out when I need it. In other words, easy access for being at the zoo for instance. Because my lens is VR I don't typically need tripod, just the camera with the 300mm and maybe on small lens.

Another solution is the shoulder strap that has a sliding configuration where the camera hangs at your side, then you pull it up to shoot. I've seen those, but never owned one. With this setup the bag wouldn't be the focal point as much and only used to haul the gear. Then, I could get a nice backpack bag that I can carry more.

Hmmmm.... decisions...decisions... :)

What do you folks prefer?

Take a look at the LowePro slingshot 250aw. It's what I use and love it. Fits my 80d with 75-300mm. Room for other lenses and accessories.

That's an older discontinued model, but if you Google it, the current model should pop up. But it doesn't look as big. If you want to save a few bucks, you can still find these used on eBay.

I use 2 different straps.
#1 - Peak Design, Slide. Strap is wide enough to comfortably support a D7200 + 70-200/4.
Flip the strap over, and it slides on your shoulder. Flip the other side and it has "grippies" to hold on to your shoulder. I prefer to let it slide.
Depending on what you have on your shoulder, a sliding strap may not slide well or at all. IOW, you have to THINK about what order you put things on; jacket and pack BEFORE the camera.

#2 - Op/Tech, Urban. Strap has a small cable inside the strap to protect against cutting.
It worked fine for travel, but the clips did not slide as easily as I wanted it to. I did not spend the time to troubleshoot it, since I had the Slide straps.
Black Rapid makes a similar sliding strap, but attaches to the tripod socket of the camera.

Note for both the PD Slide and OT Urban, I have the right strap attached to the L-bracket, so that my right hand is not bothered by the strap, especially when I hold the camera in vertical orientation.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back