If true this might be the BIGGEST news thing for Nikon fans

There was some speculation by Thom Hogan last month that Nikon had been partnering with Sony in sensor technology and design, in a sort of Japanese-style, collaborative, uncredited, behind-the-scenes sort of way, perhaps for some time (as in years). Last month, Sony acquired Toshiba's sensor intellectual property in a buyout. As some might know, both Sony AND Toshiba have been making the high-end, cutting edge sensors that Nikon has been putting in their new cameras for the past several years. Last month or so, Sony also "spun off" their sensor division from the other parts of Sony...so....BIG shakeups in the sensor-making arena regarding Sony,and Toshiba....annnnnnnnd by extension, I think Nikon as well.

It's all kind of murky,how the giants have been relating to one another regarding sensors, sensor development, sensor sales, and the sourcing of sensors, but Nikon would be wise to make sure it has some leverage/bargaining power against Sony, as well as future sensor technology supply options/alternatives for Nikon cameras.

There was some speculation by Thom Hogan last month that Nikon had been partnering with Sony in sensor technology and design, in a sort of Japanese-style, collaborative, uncredited, behind-the-scenes sort of way, perhaps for some time (as in years). Last month, Sony acquired Toshiba's sensor intellectual property in a buyout. As some might know, both Sony AND Toshiba have been making the high-end, cutting edge sensors that Nikon has been putting in their new cameras for the past several years. Last month or so, Sony also "spun off" their sensor division from the other parts of Sony...so....BIG shakeups in the sensor-making arena regarding Sony,and Toshiba....annnnnnnnd by extension, I think Nikon as well.

It's all kind of murky,how the giants have been relating to one another regarding sensors, sensor development, sensor sales, and the sourcing of sensors, but Nikon would be wise to make sure it has some leverage/bargaining power against Sony, as well as future sensor technology supply options/alternatives for Nikon cameras.
Yeah, suddenly as a Nikon fan boy the future seems a little brighter :)

This could be great news..would love to see a full frame mirrorless from Nikon with good battery life and uses the same f-mount..if it had built in 5 axis stabilization...that would awesome.

full frame mirrorless from Nikon with good battery life

A mirrorless camera inplies an EVF and that's where the battery drain occurs.
If a mirrorless is important for other reasons, than 3 or 4 extra batteries is no big deal.

full frame mirrorless from Nikon with good battery life

A mirrorless camera inplies an EVF and that's where the battery drain occurs.
If a mirrorless is important for other reasons, than 3 or 4 extra batteries is no big deal.

Honestly, I'd like to see a hybrid..that would be really interesting. But my X100 used less battery when using the EVF. I never understood why..maybe the overlays in the OVF used more juice than the EVF itself. I don't have a clue.

No comment yet from Thom Hogan! How could that be?!

I'm very confused.

Why would that be good news for me ?

I'm maybe overall sort of a fan of Nikon, but I'm definitely not some blind fan boy. I dont need "Nikon" written on my cameras, thats no feature I care about.

I like Nikon DSLRs because of their quality. If Nikon now starts selling Samsung cameras with "Nikon" written on them, I couldnt care less. Its still the same product I didnt wanted from Samsung, either.

And Samsung NX is limited to APS-C. If I would be OK with that, I would have gotten a Fuji X system long ago.

Don't know anything about pros or cons here for Samsung/Nikon users, but if I could use that Samsung 50-150 f2.8 on my d7200 I'd be interested

I don't get the draw about mirrorless, is it all just the size and weight?

I don't get the draw about mirrorless, is it all just the size and weight?
Cant speak for others, but the main advantages for me with mirrorless are:

- Much more simple, robust, silent and cheaper cameras thanks to no mirrorbox, especially including the possibility of having even larger sensors than 36x24mm without getting too bulky for my needs (like a Sony 44x33mm sensor)

- Autofocus over larger parts of the frame, precise autofocus thanks to contrast analyzation (in panasonics system or in combined contrast/phase autofocus)

- Higher quality, smaller, more lightweight, cheaper wide angle lenses thanks to shorter flange distance and much less need for the useage of retrofocus constructions

- EVF and its possibilities for precise picture quality control (focusing aids like magnification / focus peaking / digital split screen, exposure aids like zebras / life histogram / false color zones, life review of white balance, etc)

My favorite pick as producer for such a system would actually be Leica:

- With the Leica M system, they have good experience in creating digital sensors that can handle steep angles of light (from wide angle lenses).

- With Panasonic as the partner, they have access to Panasonics advanced contrast autofocus technology.

- Unlike Zeiss and Sony they dont tend to make lenses with a ***load of glas in it.

Sadly they also have the disadvantage of high prices, though I have to say the price for the Q and SL are pretty OK.

Fuji is working on such a system, according to rumors - so thats what I'm currently waiting for.

Nikon would be cheaper, have better colors, will be integrated into the Nikon flash system and probably offer better autofocus for sports - since thats definitely one of the strong suits of the Nikon 1 system. However in my understanding the Nikon 1 cant handle low light well.

Last edited:
I'm very confused.

Why would that be good news for me ?
I can say only why I think this is good news for me but you might agree with me (or not) :)
I think overall the market is going to mirrorless or hybrid of DSLR/Mirrorless, I think eventually camera makers that will insist to stay and stick to DSLR only will disappear, so if Nikon will sell products that will keep it alive for many more years, this makes me happy.
I dont love the NX1 but it does have some good technology in it, if you take the good stuff and add it to the good of Nikon you can create an even better Nikon cameras thus better equipment for us in the future.
Samsung also makes excellent sensors, this means Nikon might make its own sensors which will make it less dependable at other sources and make it more profitable.

Well Samsung has officially denied the rumor but that doesn't mean Nikon isn't working with Samsung. No word from Nikon yet, so who knows.

Well Samsung has officially denied the rumor but that doesn't mean Nikon isn't working with Samsung. No word from Nikon yet, so who knows.

If Samsung has indeed "officially" denied the rumor, then the rumor is almost certainly false.

Publicly traded companies have to abide by certain rules to avoid committing securities fraud. Generally if a rumor is true, but the company is not yet ready to disclose the information, they'll usually just say that they are not able to comment on it.

If, for example, the information actually were true, and they "officially" released a statement declaring that the information is false, then that would be misleading investors. If those investors portfolio values are harmed as a result of the deliberately false information then they've committed securities fraud.

If someone authorized to speak on behalf of the company issued a public statement then you can probably rely on that information to be valid.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back