If you could only have one

sovietdoc said:
So you're going to tell me that for shooting video you are better off without IS than with it right?

You must have not been looking at 100% crops. Also not all VR/IS systems are the same even if they say "IS" or "VR" While both 18-55 and 70-200 lens say "IS", the IS is very different in performance on 18-55 versus the 70-200.

I'm not saying that you aren't better off, I am saying that there is not enough difference to say that it's even close to a necessity.

I try not to crop my images, so 99% of exactly what I'm talking about are 100% crops.

only one huh. Guess i would have to say Nikkor 17-55 f/2.8G. even on my D90, 17mm is as wide as i would need it, and 55mm is long enough to do portraits.
Hard task though to pin down just ONE lens for a SLR camera.

2. Because it lets you shoot video that isn't jerking all over the place because your hands can't keep it super smooth.

If your hands are so jerky you can't keep the frame smooth enough for decent quality video, you need to be taking a tripod with you everywhere you go. If they are really that unstable, anything you shoot below 1/80 shutter will have camera shake.

It's impossible to shoot a perfectly smooth movie handheld. Every time you pick up the camera, EVERY movement of your hands, no matter how steady they are, will be very noticeable in post. IS/VC/VR whatever, doesn't make the movement go away, but it significantly smoothens it out so there aren't any jerks and even if the frame moved because you're hand holding, it moves nice and smooth.

For handheld video shooting IS is a must. It's so important, Canon even put IS on their 24 and 28mm primes. Yes, Wide Angle primes. For pure photography, the wider the angle, the less important IS is because movement is less noticeable. But IS still helps you shoot in lower light.

Saying IS is stupid on anything lower than 200mm is like saying a crutch is stupid when you got problems with your legs.

When you talk about "handheld" video do you mean with one of these?

DSLR Video Rigs

If I could only have one lens, I probably wont be into photography. LOL I dont really need to answer this question :D

If you could only have one? And why?
Should I sell the others?

I think not.

The whole purpose of this system is interchangeable lenses.

What one lens would you chose. If you could only have one? And why?

If I could only have one lens then I would choose this:
2011-bugatti-veyron-16.4-super-sport.jpg

No need to waste my time with a DSLR with only one lens. Kind of like buying the above vehicle with only one tire.

Its a theoretical question. If you dont want to participate, there i no need for sarcastic remarks. At the moment i only have one lens. My 50mm f/1.8 and i use it for almost everything. I also have a 35-80mm f/4-5.6 but u dont even consider it an option bc it is so cheap and for me, useless.

Sent using PhotoForum

Last edited by a moderator:
Its a theoretical question. If you dont want to participate, there i no need for sarcastic remarks. At the moment i only have one lens. My 50mm f/1.8 and i use it for almost everything. I also have a 35-80mm f/4-5.6 but u dont even consider it an option bc it is so cheap and for me, useless.

Sent from my iPhone using PhotoForum

Sarcasm is the point. Similarly, daggers could be pointed in your direcion for the above statement. Do you have one lens or multiple focal lengths? Theoretics my arse. :er:

Kind of like buying the above vehicle with only one tire.

I'd sell that tire, and then buy a car I really want for that much.

These threads always seem super pointless to me.

I know, I'm a huge grouch. Whatever.

EDIT: Ok, i see now that I'm not the only one who thinks this way. :lol:

I'll PM my address, you can ship that 35-80mm to me. Ground is ok, I'm not in a hurry :wink:

From me you received a theroetical answer. If you only want one lens, buy a P&S. You don't buy a 10lb sledge to hang a picture. I wouldn't buy a DSLR or an SLR for that matter and then not use one of the biggest advantages of an SLR. I've been doing this for 40 + years now. I didn't start out with a ton of gear. But over the years I planned for what I wanted, saved and bought the gear I needed.

As for the question you posed, as my momma used to tell me, "if you don't want hear the answers you may get, don't ask the question."

I think it was just meant as a fun question... why so serious?
Just my opinion

2. Because it lets you shoot video that isn't jerking all over the place because your hands can't keep it super smooth.

If your hands are so jerky you can't keep the frame smooth enough for decent quality video, you need to be taking a tripod with you everywhere you go. If they are really that unstable, anything you shoot below 1/80 shutter will have camera shake.

It's impossible to shoot a perfectly smooth movie handheld. Every time you pick up the camera, EVERY movement of your hands, no matter how steady they are, will be very noticeable in post. IS/VC/VR whatever, doesn't make the movement go away, but it significantly smoothens it out so there aren't any jerks and even if the frame moved because you're hand holding, it moves nice and smooth.

For handheld video shooting IS is a must. It's so important, Canon even put IS on their 24 and 28mm primes. Yes, Wide Angle primes. For pure photography, the wider the angle, the less important IS is because movement is less noticeable. But IS still helps you shoot in lower light.

Saying IS is stupid on anything lower than 200mm is like saying a crutch is stupid when you got problems with your legs.

Try using stabilizer system, some as cheap as $400. It won't hurt your wallet for someone who already spent more than $7000 on their gear.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back