If you could take one lens?

If the curiosity is driven by size and weight, It may be the wrong question to ask since two primes can (and often are) smaller than a single zoom.

If it were a walking tour of sorts, I would go with me sharpest 50mm prime. For family vacations, I probably take a general wall around zoom.

Depends which camera I decide to take

50 f/1.4 on my M6
17-55mm f/2.8 if I go d300

hmmm, well I'm on vacation right now...
I took my 24-70 and my 70-200, but if I could only take one it would probably be my G12. (I don't have an underwater housing for my DSLR.)

Last time I was on vacation, I took my 28-105 zoom on my Canon S90. It's an f/2-4.8. I missed maybe 5 shots for lack of a long telephoto. Or rather, I zoomed in all the way, cropped later, and accepted the lower resolution as part of the "traveling light" compromise.

It was fantastic. Sharp, small, and light, with a good versatile zoom range.

Next time, I will have the Olympus XZ-1 with 28-112, f-1.8-2.5, and we'll see how the pix stack up to those of the Canon.

The 28-200 zoom was one of the best answers, I think. Give up a little quality in the 28-70 range, and gain versatility.

I guess it also depends what we do on vacation! ;)

What kind of holiday?

I mean if its going mostly with family and the like I'd probably take a 24-105mm as anything else I'd likely not get much of a chance to use it.

If its AFRICA and wildlife I'd take something long - like a 70-200mm f2.8 IS L MII (plus teleconverters of course) or a 120-300mm f2.8 OS (plus teleconverters of course) or a 100-400mm or even a 300mm f2.8 (plus teleconverters of course)

Or if its somewhere with cool bugs - 150mm macro! (with teleconverters and Raynox close up lens attachments)

Or if its somewhere where really cool but with family - EP3 with suitable single lens for either macro or wildlife (or both)

So nobody wanna bring a 70-200mm beast with you?

Hum, perhaps me... It is not the all round lens for travellling, but well worth just for getting a few pictures, unforgettable pictures -those wonderful, amazing glimpses of people living, laughing, looking thoughtful at the distance, not aware of the camera at all.

you can get these with a shorter focal length. you just have to be sneaky and quick.

You mean that it's more arduous with a shorter lens. That's why I do prefer my 70-200 ;)

PS: anyway better don't be sneaky shooting strangers, above all when there are children.

For a walkaround lens it would definately be the 24-105L IS.

I just want to walk around with one of this

5669198384_d71e94ff73.jpg

Definitely the 24-105. Taking this bad boy to Rome in August. Can't wait!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

I may be old fashioned, but I would never carry just one lens. In particular I would definitely have a telephoto and a normal range, both zooms. However I see that I should have a panorama too...ah well...c'est la vie.

If i could take one it would be my 24-70mm 2.8

I'm going to South Florida next month so i plan to take landscapes but we also plan to go to Everglades National Park and the Miami Zoo so the 70-200mm is also coming with me. To tell you the truth, i am taking everything because I would kick myself if i had an opportunity to shoot something and didn't have the proper equipment.

I just want to walk around with one of this

5669198384_d71e94ff73.jpg

The Fujifilm X100 is one I'd like as well! Here's the closest I am:

Front by Anders Myhre Brakestad, on Flickr

ASA dial by Anders Myhre Brakestad, on Flickr

Back by Anders Myhre Brakestad, on Flickr

Front 2 by Anders Myhre Brakestad, on Flickr

When I advance the film, I can actually hear a spring being drawn, providing the energy for the shutter. When I twist the shutter wheel on the lens, I can hear small ticking sounds. Everything is mechanic. The camera is fully functional without any batteries, although the meter needs the battery. There's just something special with old, mechanic rangefinders. But then again, I'd very much like the convenience of having a 4GB memory card instead of a 36 exp roll of film. But I would sooner only have my rangefinder than any lens for my DSLR, if I had to choose. And I got this for 20% of what the X100 goes for. :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back