If you could take one lens?

lance70

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
If you could take one lens with you on vacation, what lens would you pick?

My close-focus Vivitar 70-150mm (?) (I don't have it at the office at the moment and so will have to update this reply when I figure out exactly what it is). I can do relatively good macro shots with it as well as landscape and portrait work with it. Its my most versatile lens and its a heavy beast, no cheap plastics.

17-40mm F4 L (full frame)
10-22mm (crop camera)

Of the lenses I have, 35mm 1.4 Distagon. But I never envision being in a situation where I can only choose one, so I selected my lenses with that in mind.

If I was buying a lens to just have one lens, then Canon 17-55 2.8 IS.

Unless you are stickler for quality and just want to take some decent shots for sharing....get something with a wide range like an 18-200. That covers everything, but it has a variable f-stop. If you normally shoot on Auto it probably works fine.
20-120 is in this same class of lens.

If you want the very best quality and want to shoot at sunup and sundown and indoors without flash then you will want something in the 24-70 2.8 range. The problem with 2.8 lenses is that to get one that is actually tack sharp wide open they are very expensive, by 4 most of them sharpen up.

24-105mm f/4 L-IS USM in Canon for full-frame.

24-85mm f/3.3~4.5 AF-S G for Nikon 1.5x camera body

Haaa, I would be happy with any of them, I only have the 18-55 kit lens right now for my D90 :( Wife and I are going on a trip in Sept to the mountains and I would like something a bit better.

So nobody wanna bring a 70-200mm beast with you?

Hum, perhaps me... It is not the all round lens for travellling, but well worth just for getting a few pictures, unforgettable pictures -those wonderful, amazing glimpses of people living, laughing, looking thoughtful at the distance, not aware of the camera at all.

50/1.8 on a full-frame (if I had one)
fast 35 (if I had one) on a crop sensor

I would have to go with my Tokina 35-105/3.5-4.3 that has proven itself on vacation already. However, I have yet to give my Tokina 28-70/3.5-4.5 a chance to be proven.

So nobody wanna bring a 70-200mm beast with you?

Hum, perhaps me... It is not the all round lens for travellling, but well worth just for getting a few pictures, unforgettable pictures -those wonderful, amazing glimpses of people living, laughing, looking thoughtful at the distance, not aware of the camera at all.

you can get these with a shorter focal length. you just have to be sneaky and quick.

Most reactions

Back