What's new

Ignore this thread if you haven't been shooting longer than 15 years.

LBPhotog

TPF Noob!
Joined
Mar 3, 2010
Messages
372
Reaction score
0
Location
New Hampshire
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I again state, if you haven't been doing this for a long time you won't appreciate this thread. This is for long time shooters and collectors alike. If you are into the newest digital technology, you just won't understand ...

So, I was at work yesterday and I was digging through these boxes of 'JUNK' (or so they were labeled) and there was a lot of pieces and parts and most of it was junk; but ...

I found something that caught my eye - it was an Olympus Stylus point and shoot. Intrigued by what I thought I might have on my hands I picked it up - yep, it WAS a INFINITY STYLUS EPIC with the 35mm f/2.8 lens. The surface showed a bit of wear and tear; but, it was completely in tact. I found the appropriate battery (also in the box of JUNK) and popped it into the camera half-expecting the camera to not work ... and to my amazement it DID. I put a roll of film into this beauty (also, again, acquired from this box of JUNK) and expected there to be an issue with the take up spool, the motor, or the tension mechanism - 25 clicks later (half with flash, half without to check to see if the flash worked) the camera had advanced and rewound the film perfectly! I then popped open the back door and watched in amazement as I watched the shutter inside the lens pop open with each click of the shutter release. From what I can tell this camera is perfectly fine working condition - now, she has a new home in my collection and not as the aforementioned piece of "JUNK" and all for the extremely lofty price of "FREE"!!! ... :thumbup:

Just goes to prove that one man's trash IS another man's treasure ... now, if I could just find a mint F3 with an MD-4 for FREE I might get just as excited ... *LOL*

I just had to share this with people who might 'understand' :lol:
 
Good for you! That's a fun discovery. If something still works perfectly well, hard to see it labeled as "trash", isn't it? You could keep it in your collection - or think, now you have a "beater camera" for those places you venture into where you wouldn't want to carry a digital. ;) Have at it!
 
... this isn't a 'beater camera'! This camera only has the sharpest, and fastest, lens ever put into a point and shoot film camera, EVER! ...
 
You're discounting us new photographers. Ive been a digital photographer for about 2 years, and i appreciate the old form of photography--using film. Last year at school i took a traditional photography class where we made and used our own pinhole camera's, and then used 35mm camera's.

Thats a pretty sweet find! When you gonna take some pictures, and scan then upload them? And for free?! even better!
 
You're discounting us new photographers. Ive been a digital photographer for about 2 years, and i appreciate the old form of photography--using film. Last year at school i took a traditional photography class where we made and used our own pinhole camera's, and then used 35mm camera's.

Thats a pretty sweet find! When you gonna take some pictures, and scan then upload them? And for free?! even better!

I didn't mean to completely discount you younger shooters. I do apologize for that. I just didn't think that a camera that hadn't been manufactured for almost 20 years just may not be appreciated by everyone ... I could just see some younger enthusiast would open this thread and be like "yeah, so what" ... and that was what I was trying to avoid ...

As for the 'OLD FORM' of photography (:lol: I'm sorry that's funny to me) that's not really true, it's just ANOTHER form of photography, kinda like working with Oils on canvas and/or Watercolors are another way of painting ... Tell someone working with 120 film that they are working with an "old form of photography" and see the reaction you get ... I'm not going to debate the merits of both forms - I don't want to beat that dead horse. As long as we all love great photography, it shouldn't matter how we capture it. :mrgreen:
 
You're discounting us new photographers. Ive been a digital photographer for about 2 years, and i appreciate the old form of photography--using film. Last year at school i took a traditional photography class where we made and used our own pinhole camera's, and then used 35mm camera's.

Thats a pretty sweet find! When you gonna take some pictures, and scan then upload them? And for free?! even better!

I didn't mean to completely discount you younger shooters. I do apologize for that. I just didn't think that a camera that hadn't been manufactured for almost 20 years just may not be appreciated by everyone ... I could just see some younger enthusiast would open this thread and be like "yeah, so what" ... and that was what I was trying to avoid ...

As for the 'OLD FORM' of photography (:lol: I'm sorry that's funny to me) that's not really true, it's just ANOTHER form of photography, kinda like working with Oils on canvas and/or Watercolors are another way of painting ... Tell someone working with 120 film that they are working with an "old form of photography" and see the reaction you get ... I'm not going to debate the merits of both forms - I don't want to beat that dead horse. As long as we all love great photography, it shouldn't matter how we capture it. :mrgreen:


I apologize for calling it "old" In my personal opinion, i dont think digital has come CLOSE to the performance of the 4x5 plates. I still think medium format is the way to go for professional stuff, but im not wealthy enough for that.hahah

I personally enjoy the darkroom and all those techniques, but i find digital to be easier for me to use, as im 17, and i dont think my parents want me turning our basement into a darkroom. not to mention good film is kinda expensive!

but i do understand your reasoning for titling it as such.
 
... and i dont think my parents want me turning our basement into a darkroom ...

You're assuming you have to ask for permission to do this, I never did :lmao:!!

Then again, maybe that's why I got into trouble ... :er::lol:
 
You're discounting us new photographers. Ive been a digital photographer for about 2 years, and i appreciate the old form of photography--using film.

this.....I'm 25 and shoot a gripped Canon Digital Rebel XTi but my primary format is still 35mm and I have 4 SLR's, and my first camera which was a point and shoot Samsung Impax 300i 35mm. It still works shutter fires and everything I just need to get a cheap roll of film or two and clean up the lens.

I also have a 1961 Minolta AL rangefinder I have been in the process of restoring, I just need to finish the seals, and get a light meter.
 
I've been shooting for over 5 years now. I suppose I probably shouldn't be posting in this thread because I might get shunned from society for breaking the Great and Powerful LBPhotog's stern warning to the lemmings not to post here due to our obvious lack of knowledge, but alas, my curious nature and rebel attitude made me at least look.

I hope The Photo Forum Gods don't smite me for my willingness to disobey their commands.

(And for the other n00bie idiots that shouldn't be in here, what he found was a rare camera that none of us can every hope to appreciate, so if you've made it this far please leave now, there's nothing (for you) to see here.

/walksawaymumblingsomethingaboutadouchebag/
 
I've been shooting for over 5 years now. I suppose I probably shouldn't be posting in this thread because I might get shunned from society for breaking the Great and Powerful LBPhotog's stern warning to the lemmings not to post here due to our obvious lack of knowledge, but alas, my curious nature and rebel attitude made me at least look.

I hope The Photo Forum Gods don't smite me for my willingness to disobey their commands.

(And for the other n00bie idiots that shouldn't be in here, what he found was a rare camera that none of us can every hope to appreciate, so if you've made it this far please leave now, there's nothing (for you) to see here.

/walksawaymumblingsomethingaboutadouchebag/

Naah we won't shun you, we will just keep in mind that you are just one of a multitude of snot nosed, it's all about me generation, brats and forgive you for not knowing your place. Remember children should be seen not heard. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
 
I again state, if you haven't been doing this for a long time you won't appreciate this thread. This is for long time shooters and collectors alike. If you are into the newest digital technology, you just won't understand ...

So, I was at work yesterday and I was digging through these boxes of 'JUNK' (or so they were labeled) and there was a lot of pieces and parts and most of it was junk; but ...

I found something that caught my eye - it was an Olympus Stylus point and shoot. Intrigued by what I thought I might have on my hands I picked it up - yep, it WAS a INFINITY STYLUS EPIC with the 35mm f/2.8 lens. The surface showed a bit of wear and tear; but, it was completely in tact. I found the appropriate battery (also in the box of JUNK) and popped it into the camera half-expecting the camera to not work ... and to my amazement it DID. I put a roll of film into this beauty (also, again, acquired from this box of JUNK) and expected there to be an issue with the take up spool, the motor, or the tension mechanism - 25 clicks later (half with flash, half without to check to see if the flash worked) the camera had advanced and rewound the film perfectly! I then popped open the back door and watched in amazement as I watched the shutter inside the lens pop open with each click of the shutter release. From what I can tell this camera is perfectly fine working condition - now, she has a new home in my collection and not as the aforementioned piece of "JUNK" and all for the extremely lofty price of "FREE"!!! ... :thumbup:

Just goes to prove that one man's trash IS another man's treasure ... now, if I could just find a mint F3 with an MD-4 for FREE I might get just as excited ... *LOL*

I just had to share this with people who might 'understand' :lol:

I was really impressed, and still am, right up to the point of wanting a mint F3. I will keep my F, & F2's any day over the F3. I just never wanted to own a camera that only had one shutter speed if the battery died. :lol:
 
Cool story. My latest camera buy was a Pentax IQ Zoom 105 WR for $6. I found it at at a thrift store, sitting among the cheap plastic toy cameras. I remember how fond people were of the little Stylus models.
 
Naah we won't shun you, we will just keep in mind that you are just one of a multitude of snot nosed, it's all about me generation, brats and forgive you for not knowing your place. Remember children should be seen not heard. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Darn if that's what he gets for 5 years I dread to think what I get for 3!:confused::lol:
 
Naah we won't shun you, we will just keep in mind that you are just one of a multitude of snot nosed, it's all about me generation, brats and forgive you for not knowing your place. Remember children should be seen not heard. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Darn if that's what he gets for 5 years I dread to think what I get for 3!:confused::lol:


SHHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom