Ilford 3200 delta

Gary Lock

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I recently dug out an old pentax mz something or another thing, and thought I might give some BW a go, I do rather like the look one gets when applying a red filter to it, however this limits the amount of light, which means longer (slower) shutter speeds.
Then I found this Ilford 3200 delta film...
Now, would I be right with my theory, that if I was to use such a high speed film as the 3200 along with the red filter, I should be able to take handheld shots, while perhaps achieving the look I am looking for?
Thanks for your thoughts :)

I am not sure I'll be developing my own...
Think a lab will do a better job than I could...
Although I certainty would like to give it a go.

If you do develop it yourself there are a number of threads here to follow.

I personally do the BW development for this company.
Link.... Home -

I am not sure I'll be developing my own...
Think a lab will do a better job than I could...
Although I certainty would like to give it a go.

Few even soup B&W. Even fewer will 'push-process' it for you.

How dark are you planning your conditions to be and what kind of red filter are you using?

I have a -2 stop red filter on my 'blad that I can easily shoot hand held with 100 iso film loaded in so long as Im outside in decent light.

For and held work 1/30 of a second is about as low as i like to go. I can get nice, sharp, blur free images at that shutter speed so long as Im conscious of how i hold the camera. If i can get 1/60th id be happy but its by no means necessary for a good shot. Depending on what kind of DOF you want and if F/5.6 is acceptable for you, ISO 400 or 800 film works in a lot of situations.

I have since found out, that my cheapo Pentax thing is... was! Making some strange whirrling noise, after searching for help on this, and trying a remedy, I found out, it's not going to work :(
But when I do eventually get around to finding another camera... I was thinking, urban, low light, night time, deep shadows, wet reflection, and some old medieval stone walls thrown into the mix too...
Which admittedly, even with the fastest of films, I'll probably still need a tripod of some sorts ;)

Red filters are normally used in daylight scenes, especially with blue skies. I don't think they'll do much for you at night.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back