i'm a little confused

carlita

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.angelfire.com
:? i've never used slide film before and i'm curious about something. i had bought some for a class about a year ago and we ended up not using it. it's kodak elite chrome tungsten 160T. it does say "process e-6" on it, but i've never used film like that before. i'm probably all worried for nothing, but i don't want to end up screwing it up or something. so can i just take this to the same old photo lab where i normally get my color stuff processed?

and while we're on the subject of slide film... do any of you have any particular kind you'd recommend?

E6 is the standard process for slides. The only slide film out there that I am aware of that uses a different process is Kodachrome witch uses K14. You can get it developed into slides at any lab that does E6 processing; departmentt store labs, etc... may not offer E6 processing. You could cross-process it in C41(standard color neg processing) and get wacky color/contrast prints.

Tungsten balanced film is designed to counter the orange/yellow color shift of tungsten bulb photofloods. If you shoot it in regular daylight it will be very blue.

Lita, for a lark I picked up a couple different kinds of Fuji slide film (Provia? I think), followed by Agfa, and the Kodak Elite Chrome. Of the three, I was most impressed with the Fuji for its color saturation and brightness. It was impressive to lay out my slide sheets and compare like that (which is why I bought different kinds). Second in the pack was the Elite Chrome, and the Agfa was okay, just nothing that stood out.

I still have Fuji Sensia and Kodak Ektachrome to try. Like you, since I'm using a slide printer for Polaroid manipulations, etc., I am totally interested in trying a wide variety of slide films. I also have a box of Kodachrome, but I'm in no hurry to try it while I'm still in class, due to the processing delay.

Let us know what you try and show the results!! :)

ksmattfish said:
Tungsten balanced film is designed to counter the orange/yellow color shift of tungsten bulb photofloods. If you shoot it in regular daylight it will be very blue.

i was just reading today about how if you're taking pictures with tungsten film after the sun has set and your subjects are lit by artificial lights (like night shots with buildings lit with floodlights or something) the color rendition will still be accurate. have any of you tried that before?

I haven't.... I've shot at dusk, but not in cityscape-type surroundings so I can't comment on those effects.

Git the film and go to Nawleans, already!! :wink: And I wanna know if you scored that red filter so you can shoot IR, too!!

Geez, girl, while you're there leave SOME time for drinking.... :drunk:

carlita said:
i was just reading today about how if you're taking pictures with tungsten film after the sun has set and your subjects are lit by artificial lights (like night shots with buildings lit with floodlights or something) the color rendition will still be accurate. have any of you tried that before?

Yes, that is what Tungsten film is designed to do. It is color balanced for artificial light, whether it be tungsten photofloods, or any other tungsten (incandescent, not fluorescent) lighting. A street lit by floodlamps should be recorded accurately.

And while you're trying slide film, take the time to try Fuji Velvia 50. It is the king of saturated color slide film. In my opinion, Terri is right, Fuji (especially Velvia, but I also like Provia) is the best at color saturation.

Have fun playing with that slide film!

So you can have slide film developed as print ?... still new to this and wanting to try and get some better colour for my prints ,and if so is there an online store to get good slide film? ,small city not many good camera shops around !! :cry:

You can cross process film, but I am not sure if you can do it both ways. When you do that, it changes how things come out.

If you want the good color you can get from slides, you would not want to cross process it, you would want it processed right. You could then get prints from the slides.

Here this thread has examples of what you get when cross processing:
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1981

If you want true color, have the slides developed as slides, then take the ones you like to your local one-hour minilab (Wal-Mart, etc) and have them make prints from the slides.

As for buying slide film, both [/url]www.adorama.com and www.bhphotovideo.com sell all major brands of slide fi...bly need a tripod to get good, sharp results.

okay, i found 2 rolls of the kodak elite chrome 160T and i loaded one up. this tungsten thing is new to me, so what exactly am i using this film for? could i use it at the ski slopes? should i use it at night with a tripod for longer exposures? help

I've got a roll of velvia 50 I've been saving....Aieeeeee. Haven't found anything worthy, however.

myopia said:
okay, i found 2 rolls of the kodak elite chrome 160T and i loaded one up. this tungsten thing is new to me, so what exactly am i using this film for? could i use it at the ski slopes? should i use it at night with a tripod for longer exposures? help

If you use it outdoors you should use a warming color correction filters - perhaps a #80A or 82. Tungsten film is balanced for warm incandescent indoor lighting, not for daylight. In daylight the resulting slides will be quite blue so use the color correction filter or save the film for an indoor project.

Tungsten refers to the wire filament, but the bulb can also be filled with different gases that affect the color, like halogen. Most street lights use sodium in their filament, which would be a strong yellow, but they can also use mercury, which is blue. Ones that use both look green. High-pressure sodium bulbs are a bit more broad spectrum, but still yellow. Tungsten film tends to be more balanced for the typical indoor bulb, but might be okay with those. Unless you have a color meter or a good eye, you'll probably just have to experiment.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back